X-Men Origins: Wolverine discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate X-Men Origins: Wolverine

• Total voters
Re: Wolverine: The Movie

Source: IESB.net, Diamond Comics March 20, 2006

With Hugh Jackman hinting to Entertainment Weekly that the Wolverine spinoff movie will be a prequel, IESB.net got confirmation from Fox Film Group President Tom Rothman, who said it is indeed.

Also, Hugh Jackman recently alluded that the Wolverine spin off film may be a prequel, how accurate is that? Although he says he will get in trouble if he tells, just between him and her, yes it's a prequel, and that's a scoop!

Crap I was hoping for a character developing story, not one where at the end its like "oh I forget"

So cool!

I for one look forward to seeing a Wolverine prequel flick…

Could it be a retelling of the Marvel Presents: Weapon X storyline…?!?

With a prelude hinting at the Origin storyline…?!?

That would be sweet…!

;^p

iFMagazine.com talked to X-Men: The Last Stand screenwriter Simon Kinberg, who revealed that specific characters were saved for the Wolverine spin-off. Here's a clip:

WOLVERINE doesn't exactly come after X3 so what happens to him is not terribly relevant to his own movie. We did talk about a couple of characters that they wanted to save for the WOLVERINE movie spin-off. I can't tell you who they are, but there was really only one we wanted to use for X3, and they said they're not going to have a big enough part to risk losing them for WOLVERINE. Sabretooth will be in there, but I don't know in what form. I think his relationship with Wolverine is under explored.

I'm betting Omega Red

He should fight Silver Samurai and have some of the movie in Japan, maybe a past love interest with a little Yakuza? They might even put John Jr. in it...but a girl can dream.

Last edited:

Planet-man said:
So wait...it IS a Weapon X-oriented prequel, right? They're not just branching out the X-Men movies, are they?

Because a pre-amnesia thing could really work well.
They said it was going to be a prequel, but I would prefer a post x3 story of Wolverine discovering his origins with flash back. I had a pretty good idea for a movie like that a while ago

I gotta say pass on the Silver Samurai & Omega Red thoughts…

I think they need to go more along the whole Weapon X thread; start from Logan first discovering his mutant powers (remember, mutant powers don't manifest until the onset of puberty) while in some horrible accident, running scared into the military, exceling at black ops, and finally the whole Weapon X tale…

The end of the movie would have Logan leaving the Weapon X compound naked, covered in blood & sporting amnestic tendancies… Oh yeah, and regressed to a wild animalistic stage…

We can save the Japan saga for the second Wolverine flick…

;^p

Boil said:
I gotta say pass on the Silver Samurai & Omega Red thoughts…

Yeah. For some reason, if I think about a Wolverine movie with those ingrediates, it reminds me of the Elektra spin-off. Like if you're going to make a spin-off, use a plot worthy of the actual film you spun off of.

Sabretooth is still an integral part of the Weapon X storyline. Omega Red, not so much, but I still think they could work him in. He'd make for some awesome effects. I see your point about the Elektra angle if they use Silver Samurai. I guess I could live without him.

Planet-man said:
Sabretooth is still an integral part of the Weapon X storyline. Omega Red, not so much, but I still think they could work him in. He'd make for some awesome effects. I see your point about the Elektra angle if they use Silver Samurai. I guess I could live without him.

I hope they don't go in for any gratuitous 'awesome effects' and instead focus on Logan's backstory & the Weapon X era…

Gritty murderous black ops action with retractable claws is what we are after here!

And for every 'awesome effect' that you see, there are usually dozens that you don't know are happening at all…

But most folks don't consider quality compositing as a viable effect…

All hail the compositor, unsung heros of the film industry…!

;^p

Omega Red isn't a part of Weapon X?

Bull****!!

Omega Red is the international answer to America's sticking their nose up to everyone else. It would make a great political plot if they threw in Omega Red with an Weapon X story.

No. Keep Omega Red and crappy X-Men villains out of it.

ProjectX2 said:
No. Keep Omega Red and crappy X-Men villains out of it.
:sure: Then don't bother makeing it at all. I'm not sayin X-villains have to be the main part of the story but in order to keep up we have to have good cameos (not overkill like X3) but something to get fanboys happy. Wolverine's always been about himself anyway... but no x-villains? Why bother.

TheManWithoutFear said:
:sure: Then don't bother makeing it at all. I'm not sayin X-villains have to be the main part of the story but in order to keep up we have to have good cameos (not overkill like X3) but something to get fanboys happy. Wolverine's always been about himself anyway... but no x-villains? Why bother.

Uh, Sabretooth & Striker don't count…?!?

I say they start with Logan causing some sort of horrible accident (I am thinking some sort of adolescent drunk driving which kills his entire family…?!?), but due to his mutant powers kicking in with the onset of puberty, he alone survives…

(Or is he the sole survivor…?!? maybe Sabretooth is a relative…? An idea which I just don't like, personally…)

Wracked with guilt, he retreats to the Canadian wilderness, spending his teenage years living with the wolves…

An altercation with loggers causes Logan to be imprisoned, and a judge offers him a choice of military service or hard labor in prison, and it is off to Korea for a 17-year old Logan…

Around the Vietnam era, Logan starts working for the black ops crews, and his performance & special abilities earn him the privilage of 'volunteering' for the newly forming Weapon X program (an extreme black ops branch of SHIELD)…

Many, many, many, many people die; Wolverine always heals right up…

And then the powers that be decide their killing machine can be improved, and all the better that he has a 'refined' healing ability…

Time for a little procedure…!

The trauma caused by the extreme levels of pain endured during the process cause Logan to lose control and revert to his animalistic state for awhile…

And there is the amnesia…

So Wolverine goes on the cage fighting circuit of the upper northwest…!

;^p

Cage fighting? I thought Omega Red was part of Weapon X in Russia. Don't they have a past? As well as Silver Samurai. I think the past should be just thought in the back of his head. Let the viewer piece it together. I don't wanna see a movie about nothing but what happened long ago. There's no resolve, and then how do you end it? Too many loose strings.

Besides, I didn't know there were drunk drivers in the 1800's. And how do you just skip to living with wolves, wouldn't he have some sort of fortune. In Origin, all he wanted to do was go home in the beginning. He didn't even remember what he did. I don't see him getting imprisoned at all unless it's Weapon X. Like I said, even if it was just thought up, too many loose ends. I say he goes on a "crusade" of sorts to try and find people that knew him in the past. A la meeting up with Sabretooth(don't think he died), Samurai and yes Omega Red. Even Nuke would be badass if you're trying to go for the Vietnam appeal. His DOB should be set in the 1800's, not vietcong era. Maybe even throw a couple of flashbacks with Cap. He needs to have a list and check it twice. Just in case someone needs their *** kicked again.

Latest posts

Back