X-Men Origins: Wolverine discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate X-Men Origins: Wolverine

• Total voters
Re: Wolverine: The Movie

Hibiki said:
Cage fighting? I thought Omega Red was part of Weapon X in Russia. Don't they have a past? As well as Silver Samurai. I think the past should be just thought in the back of his head. Let the viewer piece it together. I don't wanna see a movie about nothing but what happened long ago. There's no resolve, and then how do you end it? Too many loose strings.

Besides, I didn't know there were drunk drivers in the 1800's. And how do you just skip to living with wolves, wouldn't he have some sort of fortune. In Origin, all he wanted to do was go home in the beginning. He didn't even remember what he did. I don't see him getting imprisoned at all unless it's Weapon X. Like I said, even if it was just thought up, too many loose ends. I say he goes on a "crusade" of sorts to try and find people that knew him in the past. A la meeting up with Sabretooth(don't think he died), Samurai and yes Omega Red. Even Nuke would be badass if you're trying to go for the Vietnam appeal. His DOB should be set in the 1800's, not vietcong era. Maybe even throw a couple of flashbacks with Cap. He needs to have a list and check it twice. Just in case someone needs their *** kicked again.
Omega Red was the Soviet attempt to answer Captain America. And Wolverine was assigned to stop him, pre weapon x

And I agree with what you think, the story should take place in the present with flash back revealing his past. but I dont think they should put Cap there unless his move came out first. I say in a cap move we should see Logan with a cigar on a plane just before an air drop

the watcher said:
I bet they push it back

Last edited:

Random said:
I bet they push it back

Most likely, but one can dream can't he?

mmm, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Punisher, & Wolverine all in one year....

the watcher said:
Most likely, but one can dream can't he?

mmm, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Punisher, & Wolverine all in one year....
And Iron Man and Namor... oh wait they were pushed back werent they?

Random said:
And Iron Man and Namor... oh wait they were pushed back werent they?

Yep, Iron Man '08 / Namor (who knows).

Random said:
Omega Red was the Soviet attempt to answer Captain America. And Wolverine was assigned to stop him, pre weapon x

And I agree with what you think, the story should take place in the present with flash back revealing his past. but I dont think they should put Cap there unless his move came out first. I say in a cap move we should see Logan with a cigar on a plane just before an air drop

I bet they push it back

Well the cap part wasn't meant to be taken serious, it would just be cool to see him in the background leading a bunch of troops while Wolvie does his black ops thing. Something where you would have to squit your eyes to see. And you'd be like, I think that's Cap in the background.

Hibiki said:
Well the cap part wasn't meant to be taken serious, it would just be cool to see him in the background leading a bunch of troops while Wolvie does his black ops thing. Something where you would have to squit your eyes to see. And you'd be like, I think that's Cap in the background.
That may be okay, its just costume design, casting, and all that should be left up to the actual movie

Hibiki said:
Cage fighting? I thought Omega Red was part of Weapon X in Russia. Don't they have a past? As well as Silver Samurai. I think the past should be just thought in the back of his head. Let the viewer piece it together. I don't wanna see a movie about nothing but what happened long ago. There's no resolve, and then how do you end it? Too many loose strings.

Besides, I didn't know there were drunk drivers in the 1800's. And how do you just skip to living with wolves, wouldn't he have some sort of fortune. In Origin, all he wanted to do was go home in the beginning. He didn't even remember what he did. I don't see him getting imprisoned at all unless it's Weapon X. Like I said, even if it was just thought up, too many loose ends. I say he goes on a "crusade" of sorts to try and find people that knew him in the past. A la meeting up with Sabretooth(don't think he died), Samurai and yes Omega Red. Even Nuke would be badass if you're trying to go for the Vietnam appeal. His DOB should be set in the 1800's, not vietcong era. Maybe even throw a couple of flashbacks with Cap. He needs to have a list and check it twice. Just in case someone needs their *** kicked again.

Yeah, cage fighting… Like the first time we see Logan in the first Xmen movie…

I was thinking they were placing Logan as a bit younger that his Origin timeline details… "He may even be older than you, Professor", or something like that… I was thinking more along the lines of his birth being around 1933… I do not recall offhand if the movies hinted towards any involvement by Logan in WWII… So, 'artistic license'…?!?

And the drunk driving thing is a stretch, but I wanted some horrible guilt trip on Logan's conscience, compounded by the shock of being healed as if by miracle…

Besides, as long as there have been 'wheeled mobility instruments' & hooch, there have been drunk drivers…

Or something like that…

I agree that some of it seemed made up, probably because it was made up at the moment I was typing… ;^p

And you cannot have Logan/Wolverine without having him spending sometime living in a feral state, running wild with the pack on occasion…!

I also envision the Wolverine movie franchise as a solid trilogy…

So plenty of time to bring in Omega X, Silver Samurai, Nuke & even Captain America; but no Cap until his movie drops, for maximum visual identification and added cross-marketing brand awareness…!

As for my running the first movie right up to the first Xmen movie, timeline-wise, maybe not the best idea…

How about we see Logan come roaring out of the adamantium injection tank, slice & dice all present (excepting Striker) and make a break for the woods…

Only to be hunted down by the newest member of Weapon X, Sabretooth…!

Which would be the final act of the movie, and end with Striker ordering a 'mind-wipe' for Wolverine… And he also installs Logan's control trigger, 'Nature'…

(This would all take place before Striker takes his son to Xavier's…)

End it on a down note, folks will want to know what happens to this badass guy with Ginsus popping out of the back of his hands…

Then the next two movies flesh out all of the Weapon X nasty business, with Logan going underground at the end of the third movie…

Maybe even a closing scene with Logan in that Alaska bar, getting in an altercation with the bald redneck he fights in the first movie, and telling baldy that if he wants to bang it has to be in the cage, because The Wolverine don't fight for free…!

Fire away…!

Random said:
Well Latino Review just did a script review

I didn't read it cause it has alot of spoilers but they said it was relly good.

Freaking Awesome…!!!

Interesting tid-bit I just found from CBR:

Director Bryan Singer spoke to the Honolulu Advertiser, where he's planning the next "Superman" film, which will likely begin production mid- to late next year in a location yet to be determined. The article says he's holding off on large scale commitments until getting the Super-sequel done, but that "'e is interested, however, in seeing the script for the 'X-Men' spinoff 'Wolverine.'"

CBR:

WOLVERINE

Actor Tyler Mane talked to MTV about the possibility of Sabretooth appearing in the spin-off. "We will see," Mane said. "There is talk of a Wolverine-Sabretooth [plot], and we will see what happens with that." Mane may be coy because they also discuss the idea of Vinnie Jones returning as the Juggernaut and facing off against the ol' Canucklehead.

Filmick does a script review. Verdict? Bad. Here's an excerpt:
The story is a short one, really, and not much happens - certainly in comparison to the X-Men films. And it's a prequel: we begin with a pre-Adamantium Logan, go through his alteration at the hands of Stryker into Weapon X and then set him free to wander alone until Singer's first X-Men will pick up the pieces.

Essentially, the lose plot is this: Stryker tracks Logan down, takes him to Alkali lake and gives him his adamantium skeleton. The descriptions of this painful procedure (to say the least) are bang-on accurate to the flashback nightmares - seems that logan has a lot of those! - in the Singer films. This was very respectful, I thought.

Of course, it happens that the Wolverine is tougher than even Stryker anticipated and, now encased in his virtually indestructible adamantium, and with claws more deadly than ever before, Logan just slashes his way out of the facility at Alkali lake. He'll return later and make even more of a mess - I'm not sure it is left in a state perfectly in continuity with Singer's films, but then again, I'm not sure it isn't - the details are quite vague.

Are there any 'twists'? Well, some of the betrayals that come later are utterly predictable but still feel disappointing as they play out. Oh, and, while we're on the subject, faked-deaths that require heart-rate slowing injections and bags of blood being spilled should have been outlawed some time ago, really. Yawn.

Lip-service is paid to the idea of a Mutant war, and a few moral conundra are alluded to, seemingly insincerely and without any gravitas or insight. The whole thing seems like a light, shallow and pointless retread of bits and pieces from X2 - like off-cut scenes plucked from the dumper. This script might aim to be the Godfather II to X2's Godfather I, heading into the past and revealing more details, but it has so little to say, and is so utterly devoid of invention or surprise, the whole trip seems completely redundant. These might have been the deleted scenes from a tedious, excised subplot in a three hour cut of X2.

I'm quite sure that Jackman will come out of this very well, and Cox too. Even though their dialogue is far from special, and often rather woeful, to hear it spoken in their voices, given their particular cadences and personal timing choices, it will play much better than it reads.

Full review here: http://www.filmick.co.uk/2007/04/wolverine-script-review.html

Of course, this is still a long way from being a final thing, so for all we now this will change (hopefully) in the next six to twelve months.

Here's the FULL Filmick Review, now that Fox Legal is trying to remove it from the site.

For Now, its still here:
http://www.filmick.co.uk/2007/04/wolverine-script-review.html

But for those who want to be potentially spoiled:

[EDIT: Fox legal are trying to make me take this review down. They say that it is in contravention of their intellectual copyright. It's a review! A review! If some legal eagle can please confirm for me why I don't need to remove this, I will be grateful]

By now, I'm sure you know how I like to do script reviews. I like to fill them with excerpts. I like to show you just what the script is made of. If I can, I even resort to big swathes of cut and paste, because I know what I'd want to see in a script review.

Unfortunately, this time, I'm not going to be able to do that. Yesterday, I had a hard copy of David Benioff's Wolverine script in my hands. Right now, I do not.

[EDIT: I've been promised a copy of the script from another source in just a few hours. If that goes to plan, they'll give me the go ahead to use their copy as the source for as many excerpts and spoilers as I please. In the meantime, here's an overview of the film - and a critical appraisal]

But I remember details well, so there's still plenty to tell you. I've been warned to avoid spoilers, so I'll do my best - but some of the set-up will have to be discussed, and you need to know which characters appear, don't you? Sure you do. How on earth can I tell you anything meaningful about the story otherwise.

The story is a short one, really, and not much happens - certainly in comparison to the X-Men films. And it's a prequel: we begin with a pre-Adamantium Logan, go through his alteration at the hands of Stryker into Weapon X and then set him free to wander alone until Singer's first X-Men will pick up the pieces. As such, there's no role for Anna Paquin as Rogue, so her interview comments about her willingness to participate in the film are entirely moot. Sorry Anna, you're out in the cold - and a whole load of less interesting characters are in.

The film opens with a joint flashback-come dream-sequence in which Logan, aged 12, gets into an almighty ruckus with some jock types. He has big sharp claws and regenerative capabilities, the jocks do not, the outcome is inevitable.

Waking from this dream, Logan has shredded his bed sheets in his sleep. This scene is where we meet his partner, Kayla Silverfox, a full-blodded Innu. She's underwritten but given pseudo-insightful folkloric references to make and a plot Maguffin role to fulfill.

Before very long, we find out that Victor Creed, never once called Sabretooth, is hunting and killing mutants. Why? Because he's naughty. Beak - a Morrison mutant - makes a short appearance in a Creed scene. He doesn't have claws either, so the outcome is again inevitable.

Essentially, the lose plot is this: Stryker tracks Logan down, takes him to Alkali lake and gives him his adamantium skeleton. The descriptions of this painful procedure (to say the least) are bang-on accurate to the flashback nightmares - seems that logan has a lot of those! - in the Singer films. This was very respectful, I thought.

Of course, it happens that the Wolverine is tougher than even Stryker anticipated and, now encased in his virtually indestructible adamantium, and with claws more deadly than ever before, Logan just slashes his way out of the facility at Alkali lake. He'll return later and make even more of a mess - I'm not sure it is left in a state perfectly in continuity with Singer's films, but then again, I'm not sure it isn't - the details are quite vague.

Brian Cox has mentioned how the Wolverine script was set seventeen years before X2. There's no way to pin it down to an exact seventeen years - actually, in all honesty, it could wrap up very shortly before the first X-Men film begins. I think that is likely to be the way they go with this - so Jackman can play the part reasonably. And that way, Cox could quite happily reprise Stalker, no silly make up or digital de-aging required.

Logan's hunt for Creed takes up a healthy share of the page count. Barely drawn, throwaway characters are written in and killed before they nose past the cliche-spouting cypher stage. There's a Mos Eisley bar for Mutants, if you know what I mean - or maybe something more like the Vampire nightclub in Blade (this is where some chap called Barbarus turns up). My point is, essentially, this is very generic stuff, from top to bottom.

Are there any 'twists'? Well, some of the betrayals that come later are utterly predictable but still feel disappointing as they play out. Oh, and, while we're on the subject, faked-deaths that require heart-rate slowing injections and bags of blood being spilled should have been outlawed some time ago, really. Yawn.

Lip-service is paid to the idea of a Mutant war, and a few moral conundra are alluded to, seemingly insincerely and without any gravitas or insight. The whole thing seems like a light, shallow and pointless retread of bits and pieces from X2 - like off-cut scenes plucked from the dumper. This script might aim to be the Godfather II to X2's Godfather I, heading into the past and revealing more details, but it has so little to say, and is so utterly devoid of invention or surprise, the whole trip seems completely redundant. These might have been the deleted scenes from a tedious, excised subplot in a three hour cut of X2.

I'm quite sure that Jackman will come out of this very well, and Cox too. Even though their dialogue is far from special, and often rather woeful, to hear it spoken in their voices, given their particular cadences and personal timing choices, it will play much better than it reads.

And the badness doesn't stop there. There's a lot of bad logic too - "You brainwashed me to love you, but then you went off and I kept loving you, therefore the brainwashing was irrelevant, I really do love you". Explain that one to me if you will. If I brought you up to speak Spanish and I left the room you wouldn't suddenly start talking Dutch, would you? That's one important plot point that makes no sense whatsoever. Brainwashed is brainwashed.

Another truly silly moment? A character claims that they aren't frightened of dying and they are asked how they know because they haven't died before. I mean, that would have worked if they said they weren't frightened of death, but of course they'll know if they're frightened of dying or not. Think about it: only actually dying is going to negate that one, not being alive. Bad.

The most interesting detail for me is a fairly inconspicuous reference to the Ultramax prison - a prison for supervillains, the baddest of the bad mutants. I wonder if Justin Marks had read this script before cooking up his Green Arrow/Super-Max pitch?

So, I've wandered around and meandered a bit and not been able to go into anything like the detail I wanted to but, well, I think I've said enough. Botom line? This is a bad script and the best we could hope for is a mediocre, moderately entertaining, but by no means memorable, valuable or cherishable film.

Time to get a new writer in? Yeah, if there was any intent to make anything more than a cash-in, cop-out cheat of a film.

News

Gavin Hood to Direct Wolverine!
Source: Variety
July 19, 2007

20th Century Fox has set Gavin Hood to direct Hugh Jackman in Wolverine, the "X-Men" spinoff that was written by David Benioff.

The film, which begins production in November for a 2008 release, will be produced by Lauren Shuler-Donner, Jackman and his Seed Productions partner John Palermo.

Hood is the South African director whose 2005 film Tsotsi won the foreign film Oscar. His next film, the thriller Rendition with Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal, opens on October 12.

Using several resources that include the Marvel Comics lore, along with the more recent Weapon X graphic novels by Frank Miller, Wolverine mixes action with an origin story about how Logan emerged from a barbaric experiment as an indestructible mutant with retractable razor-sharp claws.

After three "X-Men" films grossed over $1 billion worldwide, the studio has made Wolverine a top priority.

"I have long been a fan of Gavin's work and know he will make a masterful film with the character intensity and action beats the fans expect," said Jackman.

Update

Deadpool should be in it. He could fight, then team-up with Wolverine... it would be like John McClain (Die Hard) and Martin Riggs (Lethal Weapon) together in a buddy-movie.

Why are they so eager to get
Beak
in this movie? I've heard that rumor since they first mentioned this movie in like 2005-06. It's stupid that
they're just going to introduce him and then kill him right there. He doesn't even have anything to do with Sabretooth. The filmmakers might be getting confused with Birdie

Latest posts

Back