X-Men: The Last Stand discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!

How would you rate X3

• Total voters
i can't believe i forgot this....

we got a snakes on a plane trailer...and man...the crowd went crazy...i had to explain to my father (who also loves x-men but hates snakes) what the whole deal was about....and the juggernaut ***** line...man...my pops needs to get with the times

selfproclaimed said:
i can't believe i forgot this....

we got a snakes on a plane trailer...and man...the crowd went crazy...i had to explain to my father (who also loves x-men but hates snakes) what the whole deal was about....and the juggernaut ***** line...man...my pops needs to get with the times

Actually the Juggernaut line thing is pissin' me off. It's been online for what? A few weeks? I tried to explain to friends about it, but they think it's pretty lame. I was never a fan of the stupid cartoon going around the net either. I'm glad Vinnie Jones is getting good reviews in this though. He's something I've been looking forward to from the get go... before the movie started to deteriorate.

Thinking oppositely to Lithium, this movie definitely sets up a wide range of sequels...

And I bet you this makes enough money to warrant a sequel.

I bet you that they'll introduce Havok in the next movie, to have a summers brother, and then they'll start moving into an Apocalypse/Sinister plotline that'll get a lot more action...

And hey, how do you give Mystique, and Rogue their powers back? You make them Horsemen...

I saw the first two movies last night, since a friend who wanted to see X3 hadn't seen them, and the third one blows them out of the water. Seriously, it is a much better film in general, because it does a much better job at meshing action and character development... The other movies have slow parts that this one didn't have. I'm going to see it again, of course, but this is just a really good film, and I don't see my opinion changing.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Thinking oppositely to Lithium, this movie definitely sets up a wide range of sequels...

And I bet you this makes enough money to warrant a sequel.

I bet you that they'll introduce Havok in the next movie, to have a summers brother, and then they'll start moving into an Apocalypse/Sinister plotline that'll get a lot more action...

And hey, how do you give Mystique, and Rogue their powers back? You make them Horsemen...

I saw the first two movies last night, since a friend who wanted to see X3 hadn't seen them, and the third one blows them out of the water. Seriously, it is a much better film in general, because it does a much better job at meshing action and character development... The other movies have slow parts that this one didn't have. I'm going to see it again, of course, but this is just a really good film, and I don't see my opinion changing.
well you could say the cure was only temporary and thats why we saw Mag moving the chess piece

Random said:
well you could say the cure was only temporary and thats why we saw Mag moving the chess piece
That's exactly what my brother told me. And hey, it could have been the same in Astonishing X-Men, but we would never know because the kid who it was given to had killed himself.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Actually the Juggernaut line thing is pissin' me off. It's been online for what? A few weeks? I tried to explain to friends about it, but they think it's pretty lame. I was never a fan of the stupid cartoon going around the net either. I'm glad Vinnie Jones is getting good reviews in this though. He's something I've been looking forward to from the get go... before the movie started to deteriorate.

i liked vinne jones as juggy throughout the whole film. i enjoyed the ***** line...but i do think that it pulled me out of the reality the movied had created for me up to that point...if i hadn't known about the whole internet thing then it wouldn't have been a problem...i think it's been around for more than a few weeks and imo it is quite hilarious

Ultimate Deadpool said:
I really liked the movie, but the big final battle was very disappointing to me.

how so...i'm just curious

Last edited:
selfproclaimed said:
how so...i'm just curious

Well it was battle featuring a whole gang-load of mutants but instead of "power battles" like Storm vs Callisto, we get a barrage of claw slashing from Wolverine and Beast.

Done very well I might add but it still left something to be desired.

I loved this movie. The onlyt problem I had with it was it seemed to short. BUt they were able to fit alot into an hour and a 45 min.

I can see how the comic book community is going to be very divided on this. A lot of people are hating this movie, while a lot of people are loving it. Plus, there's a decent amount of the "it was just o.k."ers, too.

As for me, I loved it. I don't read any X comics besides UXM, so there was really nothing to compare it to. I thought Ratner did an amazing job in the short time that he had to make the film in, and all the while trying not to let the fanboys (myself included) get to him. He also showed us that you can still make a great Superhero Film even if it's under two hours.

As a critic I'd give it 4/5 a.k.a. B+, but as a g33ky fanboy, I'd give it 4.5/5 a.k.a. A-.

:D

Victor Von Doom said:
Gotta change your sig now don't ya DJF?

Yeap. (So far I've seen Hoodwinked!, Over the Hedge, and X3. Tomorrow I'm seeing/being dragged to The Da Vinci Code.) I'm just trying to think of something new to put there.

what was up with the prez in this movie? what the hell was he smokin? he seemed too happy in some places but he was easily the worst actor in the movie. president in x2 was great

oh and how cool was it to see Bill Duke? the guy is too cool for the school

Last edited:
I thought it was good. A B or a B+. I had a few gripes with the movie (Certain mutants not getting enough screentime, like Angel and Colossus, Pheonix being a secret weapon rather then a threat, Storm getting TOO much screen time, etc.) but overall, it was quite entertaining. Oh, and Kelsey Grammer as the Beast was AWESOME. If they do more X-men movies, I want to see him back, for sure. I also want to see Sinister and Apocalypse as the next villians.

Oh, and I relized after seeing this movie, that no matter how they do Pheonix's origins, it will sound, forced, hokey or contrivred. I like Pheonix, but (unless Singer can conivince me otherwise on UXM) her origin will always suck.

I enjoyed this film and plan to see it again before it leaves the theaters. I thought it was as good as the first two movies.

In a totally hypocritical move on my part if you've seen my earlier post on this thread, I'm going to mention some of the information found in the X-3 novelization, but I will put it in spoiler tags, in case anyone is planning to read the book at some point. After the movie ended yesterday I happened to have a couple of hours to fill before meeting my parents for dinner, so I spent it at my local Barnes and Noble reading the novel, which did include things not found in the film.
Including a somewhat different ending and characters showing up in different places before and during the final battle.

I think it's inevitable that fans of the comic series will compare the movies to the books. That's just human nature (if I may use that expression...). I'm also guilty of comparing the two, although by now I'm just as interested as whether the movies are internally consistent as whether or not the characters match their print-based counterparts. For me, there have been so many re-imagining of the X-Men characters that the movies are just one more in the "multi-verse". Some of the new mutants seemed very well done, some less so.

I don't think the adaptations here are bad at all, although I would like to have seen Juggernaut physically beefed up a lot more, even if it took substantial CGI to do it. (And I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the excitement over the "I'm Juggernaut, [unladylike expletive deleted, but we all know what I mean]" line. What's the big deal? I don't think it added anything to his character that couldn't be done some other way. Or is it the fact that it's a word you usually don't hear in movies that have less than an R rating? Or was there some other background to it that I would need to be a die-hard fanboy to understand? I was frankly underwhelmed by it.) I did like the fact that Kitty Pryde, who's one of the least-trained characters here, comes up with the way to take out Mr. Unstoppable.

I also like Angel's flight scenes—very smooth and well done. Nice touch to have him rescue his father near the end, although, as the friend who went to see the movie with me commented, we saw that one coming a mile away.

One of the complaints I've heard around the 'Net is that many of the characters didn't receive enough screen time and weren't well developed. Unfortunately, I think that's the nature of team-based movies — it really is difficult to focus on more than a few characters, or the film ends up being 18 hours long. After this movie, however, several of the new people are now in position to carry the plot in X-4 (if there is one) and beyond.

We do see at least the beginning of Scott's death in the movie, but never the finished scene. Possibly that was done so when Phoenix "dematerializes" Xavier and half of Alcatraz later in the movie, it has more of an impact. (We can presume she killed Scott the same way, as the body is never found.)

I was very pleased with what was done with Henry McCoy, even though he deviated in appearance and occupation from the comics. (I seem to remember seeing a rumor on the Internet somewhere that Kelsey Grammer had been signed or offered a movie with McCoy as the main character. I would be willing to see such a film if it's ever made.) His verbal sparring with Logan was highly amusing.

I was impressed by the plot twist in which Rogue not only voluntarily takes the "cure" and gives up her mutant abilities, but also returns to the school as a student. This sets up some potentially interesting possibilities for the characters. After all, Rogue is now one of what Storm called "cowards" who took the cure "just to fit in" and did so despite the fact that Storm told her flat-out that there was nothing wrong with her. I'd be curious to see how Storm reacts to this. Or perhaps the fact that Rogue was allowed to return to the school at all has already answered that question.

Also, this gives a whole new dimension to Xavier's dream that mutant and non-mutant humans could peacefully coexist; for all his preaching, that philosophy has never been fully embraced in the movies—no non-mutant humans appear to live and/or work at the school. (For what I'm sure are very good safety reasons, admittedly, but still....) The fact that Rogue is allowed to return as a student is also a nice contrast to Magneto's narrow-minded rejection of Mystique once her powers have been removed. ("You're no longer one of us." And after all she's done for you, you ingrate.... Oh, and zero sympathy here for what happens to you during the film's climax. Learn what it's like to live like the rest of us, you sorry..... ahem.)

I'm a little surprised McCoy didn't take advantage of the cure as well, although I think he serves nicely as the US ambassador to the UN. For one thing, this puts him in New York City, closer to the school. Also, his appointment sends a very strong message about the value of mutants in US society. (And the cure is likely to be available for some time to come, so there's apparently no hurry about deciding whether or not to take it.
In the novel, there's a mention that after Angel rescues his father, the older man's attitude about mutants changes and the clinics are closed down, so that opportunity is lost in the book.
After all, the boy who supplied it is still alive, although it's unclear where he eventually ends up. I can see where his being house at the Xavier Institute might make problems for the other students. )

A few minor quibbles:

• Nightcrawler was pretty prominent in the last film and completely absent in this one. It would have been nice to know where he was, even if it was a throwaway line like "Hope he has a safe trip to wherever".

• Why isn't Magneto in jail after all this? Did someone in charge think being de-powered constituted enough of a punishment, or have the authorities just not caught up with him yet? I would be perfectly happy to have him fade into obscurity, or at least the background, if any more movies are made. He's been a major character in all three films, and, like Wolverine, is in my opinion overused. (I am, of course, out of luck on this, as both characters have spin-off movies in the works. Figures.... :roll: )

• The end scene following the credits raised some intriguing possibilities as well, but also some questions. If Xavier's telepathic abilities are due to his genetic makeup, why does he still have them when his consciousness transfers to another body? Wouldn't the other body have a different genotype? Is the man on life support also a telepath? (Does anyone remember hearing that fact during the movie, by any chance? Maybe it was there, and I just missed it.)

• In X-Men2, Henry McCoy was seen briefly in a television interview in one scene, and he appeared as a "standard human". In X-3, it's inferred that he's been blue and furry for quite some time.
    In the novel, it's stated that he's been blue and furry since college, and I'm guessing he's in his late thirties or his forties in this movie.
    Did the writers think (or hope) that fans wouldn't remember his appearance in X-2? I think it would have been a nice touch to have that little detail explained (if possible). Also, Xavier commented that McCoy was very much a part of the school (or words to that effect), and yet this is the first time I've gotten a sense that McCoy even knew the school existed. I don't remember any of the characters even mentioning him in the previous films.

• There were a couple of verbal exchanges in the previews that I wish had made it into the film. One is where Iceman and Pyro are duking it out, and Pyro comments, "Didn't your mother tell you not to play with fire?" To which Iceman answers, "No, my mother told you not to play with fire." I rather liked that one.

• How exactly does Angel get to LA, anyway? Fly cross-country? Stow away on the Blackbird?
    In the novel, he's actually a member of the team and gets to ride in the jet.
    Where is he during the rest of the battle? Some air support for the heroes would have been helpful, I think.

All in all, though, I thought it a decent end to a trilogy, and a good beginning for the summer movie scene.

Newsarama said:
Early estimates for X-Men: The Last Stand's North American Friday box office are beginning to come in and it looks like X3 is once again surpassing industry estimates and is poised to have the second largest opening day of any movie ever - trailing only Star Wars: Episode 3's $50m opening day totals last year - and the best Friday opening ever.

Various estimates are putting X3's Friday take at between $44.2 and $44.5 million, a whopping 40 to 43% over X2: X-Men United's at-the-time-surprising $31.2m opening Friday (which in turn was a huge surprise improvement over the first X-Men's $21m opening).

Showing the power of DVD sales and pay-per-view and cable television showings, the Marvel/Fox franchise's growth curve has continued, overcoming what was largely negative buzz surrounding the film during production.

Industry estimates projected X3's opening four-day Memorial Day weekend total to come in around $100-110m, which would already set an all-time Memorial Day weekend record, but it's now possible even those estimates will climb north based on Friday's figures. X3 could reach those totals and set the 4-day record by the end of Sunday, and now may land in the neighborhood of $125m by the time people return to school and work on Tuesday.

Still think there won't be any more X-Men movies?

Last edited:
ultimatedjf said:
I can see how the comic book community is going to be very divided on this. A lot of people are hating this movie, while a lot of people are loving it. Plus, there's a decent amount of the "it was just o.k."ers, too.
CWUC.jpg

Where do YOU stand?

Lifield on N-Rama:

Loved it.

Saw it again with the kids this morning and I loved it more.

Great flick. Long lines everywhere at every theatre, it's amazing how this franchise has crossed over.

rob

now, people shouldn't take Rob Liefield enjoying the movie as a reason not to see it.

No matter HOW stupid his characters look when drawn.

Latest posts

Back