X-Men: The Last Stand discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!

How would you rate X3

• Total voters
I was a bit worried that this movie might actually be good. But over at the Cabal, they're bashing the **** out of it. I'm sure BKV's gonna step in and say that "you're not aloud to criticize anything badly on his board" but still I feel safer knowing that people don't find comfort in completely ****ing with a mythology as this one has.

Still haven't seen it but I've heard enough.

This one doesn't really **** with continuity more than the other two...

The first one made Sabretooth a cronie instead of the actual threat he -should- be... Not to mention making the Mansion a larger school from the get-go (keep in mind that the first X-Men Movie actually preceded Grant Morrison's run on X-Men, which changed the status quo to fit the movie's reimagination of Xavier's school, by a year). It also turned Mystique into simply Magneto's sidekick and made her into a sex appeal object, rather than the real Mystique, who ran her own brotherhood at one point, captured Magneto for the government at another, and also was the adoptive mother to rogue... Mystique has NEVER worked for Magneto in 616.

The second movie made Nightcrawler into a would-be presidential assassin under the command of William Stryker, who wasn't exactly the Religious Zealot he was created to be. It also turned Lady Deathstrike into Wolverine, volume II, with no character depth whatsoever. I mean, You might have been able to see the deep history of near-marraige in a feudal Japan between her and Logan between every line, but that doesn't explain how she wound up turning into the crazy, physiologically impossible, clawed lady up in the wilderness around Alkali Lake. If you want to get technical, it also made Nightcrawler into a blue skinned person, rather than a person covered with Blue Fur. Not to mention turning Mastermind into the demented son of the aforementioned non-minister Stryker.

Both movies were enjoyable despite how much they changed. They will never come near how good the Comics are, but that doesn't make them bad movies. If they had copied a single story frame-by-frame, the only people who would be happy would be the fans, and that's NOT a lot of people.

X-Men 3 is a fun movie. If I were expecting something that more accurated transferred the comics to screen... I would have been pissed off. I mean, Kid Omega isn't a girl, and Psylocke can't turn invisible, not to mention that Juggernaut isn't a mutant (well, unless you count the Ultimate Universe, in which he definitely is). But you know what? it was fun. It had a few moments where fans will smile and nod in recognition to show that they weren't forgotten, but the rest of it was aimed to make the movie make sense for everyone else, and be extremely enjoyable all around. I think it succeeded.

It just amuses me to see all of these complaints coming from people who seem to have expected every aspect of Character History from the past forty years acknowledged in an Action/Adventure movie... Not to mention a movie that is trying to follow another director's continuity.

Yes, we all feel like we could come up with a better idea, but we don't have the budget to make our own X-Men movies, and hell, I'd rather have something fun and enjoyable over nothing at all. Its great to see these characters onscreen.

I'm just glad I didn't read so many reviews before I went to see this... I hate that so many people are going to go into this ready to hate certain scenes.

It's a fun movie. It isn't a great movie, but it is much more enjoyable than the other two in my opinion. If you don't agree, that's your opinion.

But that doesn't change mine, and it shouldn't change anyone else's.

And to MWOF... I just looked over at the Cabal, and the majority of posts are not saying that it sucked, they are saying its not a perfect movie... It's a flawed film that has awesome parts, but the biggest complaints are that they didn't make the movie the exact way that one person thought would be perfect...

Not to mention important oppinions like: "Okay I enjoyed the movie I guess, but it pretty much sucked."

The one post you cited as being amazing simply stated that the film didn't show Angel enough, however, if they did, and they had subsequently cut down on more Logan/Jean time, I gaurentee they would have been saying how they wasted time on these new characters while not following up on previous characterizations (which, of course, was one of the other main points in the post).

I just have such a problem with people seeing movies to prove everything they think they hate about it... People don't think for themselves anymore, it only matters what other people think.

GRAH!

It's like nobody is paying attention. MWOF, I suggest you not read this, since it kind of ruins the movie, but you seem adamant on doing that for yourself before seeing it, but
THE CURE IS TEMPORARY, GOD DAMNIT!!! THAT IS THE BIG FINALE TO THE FILM. Magneto, supposedly cured, waves a hand and the metal chess piece wobbles. This implies that ALL cured mutants (especially Rogue and Mystique) are going to come back... This is further evidenced by leech's powers only having a temporary effect on mutants... People keep talking about how this movie kills off all these characters, but all it does it kill off the one plot point that dominated three movies! The Jean-Scott-Logan love triangle needed to be stopped, because it was not believable at all in the first two movies. Logan/Scott scenes were getting rediculously cheesy, and Scott and Jean fit together like a foot and glove. Also, with Xavier coming back in the other finale, we not only open up a chance for more Xavier, but more depth into the character's past by introducing Moira Mactaggart.

This movie isn't perfect. There are much better movies. If you want to watch a perfect superhero movie, watch The Incredibles (hell, I did this morning). But its fun, and I'm going to see it again. An X-Men movie SHOULD be fun. The essence of X-Men is fun action with an undertone of persecution and the quest for social equality. The psychological depth of a character shouldnt be shoved in our faces, because by letting the drama outdo the action, we're not doing the characters justice. There needs to be balance, and if the drama doesn't work, go for action. The biggest problem with X3 are the scenes where Halle Berry pretends to have feelings. The best scenes are the character driven action sequences with Mystique, Magneto, and later, Pheonix...

MWOF, stay away from all these oppinions, clear your mind, and then see it for yourself to make your own oppinion. The last thing you want to become is a victim of group mentality... I mean, isn't persecution against which you don't understand what these movies are supposed to be preaching against??

Honestly, the only people I've met who haven't loved it have been online, and half of them were probably cheering in the theater with everyone else.

Sorry Doc but all I'm hearing from you or anyone else is "this is a fun movie".

Well... **** that.

This isn't supposed to be a "fun movie" this movie's supposed to take itself seriously and with the rumors of how none of the characters are characterized and all of the mutants with cameos don't even have the right powers (something I promise Singer would never do), it just seems like they took a nose dive off of the towering success of the franchise that Singer did build.

As far as following the continuity of the comic itself, you're right some of the things were changed a little bit. Mystique's still a bad guy and Sabertooth is too. The whole argument with Mystique "simply being a sidekick" is completely moot as Singer clearly established she was a lot deeper in X2 when she showed her attraction to Logan and laughed alongside Magneto as his friend, not cronie.

And even with some of these major changes like Mastermind at least they all had the powers they were created with. I mean for ****'s sake guys Pyslocke turns invisible? And you're happy with that?

And Rogue, who I'm not a fan of at all in the films, is completely **** on here I heard. You want to begin focus on other characters that's fine but let's get the ones we're developing like Rogue, Cyclops, Jean, Pyro, and Iceman out of the way first. Not abruptly cast them aside for an epic battle between characters who don't even have the right powers.

Disappointed in all of you.

EDIT: Doc, Spoilers do not ruin the movie for me ever. It's all about delivery.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:

At least see the damn movie before you start judging people.

Liking a movie does NOT make a person happy with all the decisions the director made... I did not like the fact that Psylocke could turn invisible, but had they spent half a movie explaining how she was a british person in an asian body, that would have sucked too.

*sigh* This is a pointless argument.

You sound so immature using other people's opinions to prove your point, and you're not going to win this argument until you can back it up with your own.

See the damn movie. Then complain all you want.

Last edited:
She had purple hair and was in the credits as Psylocke. She was never named or referred to in any way other than having purple hair and being Asian.

But since Hank McCoy was in X2 as a non-furry mutant expert on television, I don't think it really counts.

Last edited:
Dr.Strangefate said:

Liking a movie does NOT make a person happy with all the decisions the director made... I did not like the fact that Psylocke could turn invisible, but had they spent half a movie explaining how she was a british person in an asian body, that would have sucked too.

*sigh* This is a pointless argument.

You sound so immature using other people's opinions to prove your point, and you're not going to win this argument until you can back it up with your own.

I've been getting clips and script reviews for the past year. Seriously do you think seeing it is gonna make it all better? And likeing a movie does mean you're satisfied with the decisions made.

Don't say I sound immature either. I've never encountered a movie where I've learned every dark corner of it before actually seeing it before. I'm a devoted comic book fan, I didn't want this to be bad despite all of your opinions of me due to my ranting. I wanted this to be X-Men not "Hey Colossus' cameo was cool, let's go with that and force feed dozens of mutants to the audience and they will be pleased"

Look back in the X-Men thread.

I thought I was going to hate this movie. I have read all the spoilers, and thought this was going to be ****. I thought that it was going to ruin the franchise, and destroy what X2 created...

And now I think that this is a better movie than either of the first two.

Having seen all three in the past few days, I feel like I have a better grasp on what was enjoyable about this movie.

Honestly, its worth seeing just for Ian McKellan's Magneto and Patrick Stewart's Xavier. Also for Mystique.

I didn't like the Movies' portrayal of Mystique until this movie, because I was a purist and love the 616 Mystique. Ratner has a much better grasp on her than Singer did. And they finally lost that ****ty echo voice.

People dont usually post what they enjoyed about the film, and there a lot of really great moments. Maybe you won't like the film as a whole, but you will like certain scenes and certain characters and certain fights.

EDIT:
Also, I wasn't trying to imply that your looking into a film before it comes out was immature. It was judging other people based on their oppinions on a movie you haven't seen that I felt was immature. Its sort of like those people who have never read Harry Potter, but claim that it teaches children witchcraft and satan worship. I realize you've looked into it, but that doesn't show you how it was executed, it shows you how other people felt it was executed.

Last edited:
Dr.Strangefate said:
It's like nobody is paying attention. MWOF, I suggest you not read this, since it kind of ruins the movie, but you seem adamant on doing that for yourself before seeing it, but
THE CURE IS TEMPORARY, GOD DAMNIT!!! THAT IS THE BIG FINALE TO THE FILM. Magneto, supposedly cured, waves a hand and the metal chess piece wobbles. This implies that ALL cured mutants (especially Rogue and Mystique) are going to come back... This is further evidenced by leech's powers only having a temporary effect on mutants... People keep talking about how this movie kills off all these characters, but all it does it kill off the one plot point that dominated three movies! The Jean-Scott-Logan love triangle needed to be stopped, because it was not believable at all in the first two movies. Logan/Scott scenes were getting rediculously cheesy, and Scott and Jean fit together like a foot and glove. Also, with Xavier coming back in the other finale, we not only open up a chance for more Xavier, but more depth into the character's past by introducing Moira Mactaggart.
I dont mind it the movie kills off or depower mutants as long as they show it right. Like Rogue she was the first mutant we see, she and Wolverine are our introduction to this world we were suppose to be following their journey with an adult whose been ****ed over cause he's a mutant and learn to fight for a cause, and a teenager living in this world that hates her. But in this film she was barely in it. She was the only mutant we know of that took the cure voluntarily we show of seen that side of the issue and her debating over it, morals over dreams. This could very easily have compared to getting an abortion which would be very emotional and can be a great performance everyone could relate to. I agree with the Phoenix love triangle I'm sick of it two but they shouldnt of Killed Scott off, they should have had him in Logan's place his character would provide alot more emotion, Logan barely knows Jean but Scott grew up with her and is deeply in love with her, she is his best friend. They could bring Scott back if they do another one (no body, the guy's alive) and say it was blown a half a mile and was in a coma at the hospital.
I dont mind the cure being temporary cause imagine if they do another one the shock Rogue would have not being able to touch again. And maybe Mags decides to join the X-men seeing what almost happened with Jean (probably wouldnt work just throwing it out there)

Dr.Strangefate said:

Well they could of spent an extra hour to just put a purple aura around her hand, I mean jeez even have her just standing there than turn her invisible. But the writers were said to be "the biggest X geeks of all time" and that they could reference any scene to a certain issue They could have just named Kid Omega Quill and not give Callisto super speed, just make her flip around alot and you got it, tracking mutants is just a plot device and I can get past that.
I think if they added on another half an hour all the problem with not enough rogue, Beast, Angel, Colossus and the coverage and resolution of the sublots would probably be solved.

Crap than why did I do all those damn research papers?

Even though I didnt like the film I have to give it up to the special effects on this. The Pheonix scenes looked really cool, I liked how they did the Alkali Lake scne. and even though I didnt like the context of Xavier's death scene and the Pheonix alcatraz one the special effect were really cool, I wouldnt mind watching those scenes again to focus more on it.

Also did anyone here Logan say the line "If youy go to war you may not come back, she may not come back. Are you ready for that?" I think they cut it, it was a good line

II saw this on Friday, and I believe this was the best X-Men film so far. More action, yet an equal amount of emotional impact. I would have liked to see more of Rogue and Angel, but I think Angel was maybe just a set up for a future fourth movie, as was Iceman in the first film.

Shall we get something clear?

A) You haven't seen the movie, therefore you cannot judge.

B) You're out to get this movie, and, even if you believe it's good, you'll come here and bash every aspect of it.

I loved this film, but there were parts of it I wanted to change or characters who could have more screen time. Psylocke's powers may have been changed, but not once in the movie was she referenced as Psylocke unless you count the credits. There is still a chance to bring in a new Psylocke with the same powers as in the comics in the next film. The changed powers didn't bother me once - I could go home straight after the film and read the comics if I wanted a 'perfect' Psylocke or Callisto or Kid Omega. And, this is coming from a self-confessed X-Men geek.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I said I wasn't very interested in this, but from all the good reviews it's getting, I'm getting more excited. However, I'm not really a fan of the first two, so we'll see how it compares.

I'll try go next weekend.

in one of the terrible leaked plotlines that they keep insisting are complete bull****, Leech was captured to use his sweat or spit to make a cure for Mutantism...

And then they just take away Mystique's powers. (which pisses me off)

They also supposedly kill Magneto in that same alledged script. And Pheonix vaporizes scott, and the X-men (with presumably Wolverine at the helm) have to kill Jean.

So if that's true in any way, shape or form, then its pretty clear that they want to spawn a Halle Berry/Hugh Jackman headed franchise that moves in the opposite direction of the Magneto-centric plots, and towards the more radical Action Movie plots with the Morlocks (possibly showing up briefly in this movie with leech), so they can build the Callisto/Storm connection, then have the Morlocks slaughtered, and Angel's wings impaled, only to find out that Gambit was one of the Marauders. The next movie would be the discovery of Gambit's past with Sinister, and the confrontation against him, only to find out that Sinister wasn't the one at the top of everything, and that all the stuff going on (like Angel going to some surgeon named Essex to get new, bionic wings) linked to this ancient Mutant called Apocalypse. The last movie would be the Four Horsemen and Apocalypse vs. the X-Men.

I might have mentioned that idea before, but they need to put Halle Berry in a starring role to get her to stay involved with the movies. And anyways, if they go with that and try to stick to the comics, we might get some good action movies. They won't be as deep or character-driven as the others, but its better than nothing, no?

I'd rather a good, fun action X-Men movie, to a crappy psychological X-men movie any day.

That's me from the X-Man News Thread back in August 2005.

I still think that I'm right in how they might be thinking out the sequels based off of the more Action-Centric 80's comic book stories.

And to clarify, I would love an honestly great psychologically deep movie, but if they're going to **** that up, I would rather a movie I can enjoy.

so Yeah. I don't really have a point. I am just tired and reading through my posts on the X-Men 3 News thread (and I am happy to report that I was correct in saying that all my predictions about the movie were cynical and generally unhappy with the direction the movie was going... So I do not have to retract my previous statement)

I've been researching some stuff on the internet, and, Psylocke did have powers like the ones portrayed in the film. This was during the Crimson Dawnm (?) and she could turn into a shadow form. Hence the reason she appears out of nowhere in this film.

And, MWOF, Singer did change some powers in the past. A good example of this is Xavier's powers in X2 when he freezes time.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Sorry Doc but all I'm hearing from you or anyone else is "this is a fun movie".

Well... **** that.

This isn't supposed to be a "fun movie" this movie's supposed to take itself seriously and with the rumors of how none of the characters are characterized and all of the mutants with cameos don't even have the right powers (something I promise Singer would never do), it just seems like they took a nose dive off of the towering success of the franchise that Singer did build.

As far as following the continuity of the comic itself, you're right some of the things were changed a little bit. Mystique's still a bad guy and Sabertooth is too. The whole argument with Mystique "simply being a sidekick" is completely moot as Singer clearly established she was a lot deeper in X2 when she showed her attraction to Logan and laughed alongside Magneto as his friend, not cronie.

And even with some of these major changes like Mastermind at least they all had the powers they were created with. I mean for ****'s sake guys Pyslocke turns invisible? And you're happy with that?

And Rogue, who I'm not a fan of at all in the films, is completely **** on here I heard. You want to begin focus on other characters that's fine but let's get the ones we're developing like Rogue, Cyclops, Jean, Pyro, and Iceman out of the way first. Not abruptly cast them aside for an epic battle between characters who don't even have the right powers.

EDIT: Doc, Spoilers do not ruin the movie for me ever. It's all about delivery.

You'll have to repeat that. I couldn't hear you over all the pwnage from DSF's post.

No one is going to take you seriously until you actually see the movie, you know*. And as for Psylocke turning invisible, she only does that in one part of one scene anyway. She's a miniscule part of the film. That's like saying the movie is unwatchable **** because Juggernaut's helment is coloured silver instead of bronze.

No, it wasn't as good as X2, but it's still a damn good movie and much more worked that didn't. If you actually saw the movie you'd see that even Kid Omega is changed(oh noes!!!11!), it's more that made up for by the fact that Beast is perfect, and Kid Omega is a very small role anyway.

*EDIT: I wrote this post before you said "no more until I see the movie", so...yeah.

Last edited:
roguefan said:
And, MWOF, Singer did change some powers in the past. A good example of this is Xavier's powers in X2 when he freezes time.

Xavier did that when he rescued Nightcrawler from a mob in Germany back in the 70's.

That wasn't made up.

Latest posts

Back