X-Men: The Last Stand discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!

How would you rate X3

• Total voters
Sacred&Profane said:
Really...I would have been just fine without this movie. I could have waited another 3 years for Singer to have done it.

But the majority of the public (not us comics geeks) would have forgotten about the XMen by then…

Who knows, maybe Singer will come back for X4 (no, no! not that Ultimate XMen/FF crossover thingie…)…

But for now, I am looking forward to the Wolverine movie…

Could they hurry that up, please…?!?

Thanks!

;^p

thee great one said:
They weren't important characters. So it didn't matter that much. I didn't even know that was them until you guys said that. I wouldn't put that much stock into it.

OVERDID IT!?

She used it on Xavier. Then one some at the end. That was it.
Well they do say Callisto's name and an asian chick with purple hair... actually I have seen that often before but not in a marvel movie. It just pisses me off that they couldnt take that extra 5 minutes to look it up.

And the last part on the alcatraz scene soldiers left and right were being torn up, sure the one soldier fling in the air is obliterated but the hummer infront of him are just find, and those three mutants all go like that out of no where. It was just over the top.

Boil said:
But the majority of the public (not us comics geeks) would have forgotten about the XMen by then…
... Star Wars... Clerks 2... Terminator 3... M:I:lll... Die Hard 4.0... Indiana Jones IV... plus Spider-man 3 is taking 3 years after the second one

Random said:
Star Wars... Clerks 2... Terminator 3... M:I:lll... Die Hard 4.0... Indiana Jones IV... plus Spider-man 3 is taking 3 years after the second one

Star Wars... - an institution…

Clerks 2... - uh, geeks…

Terminator 3... - The Governator…!

M:I:lll... - Scientology Mind Control techniques…

Die Hard 4.0... - no real explanation for this one…

Indiana Jones IV... - again, an institution…

Spider-Man 3… - mega Sony advertising dollars…

;^p

Boil said:
Star Wars... - an institution…

Clerks 2... - uh, geeks…

Terminator 3... - The Governator…!

M:I:lll... - Scientology Mind Control techniques…

Die Hard 4.0... - no real explanation for this one…

Indiana Jones IV... - again, an institution…

Spider-Man 3… - mega Sony advertising dollars…

;^p
... they stilll could of hold off another year

Finally saw it.

What do you want me to say now? The same thing I have been saying. You guys need to understand something though. I really wanted this movie to be good (which it was) but not the "fun" good it was. I wanted to it to be consistent with what Singer created and it didn't.

I'll start off by giving the movie a 3/5 on it's own. Pretty decent action flick but it was nothing like a mindless Statham flick which is what it was trying to be.

First off while it's fresh on my mind, why call it "X-Men". It was a showcase of Storm and Wolverine mostly. What they did with the other characters (Kitty/Iceman) was great but was nothing more than one scene. It showcased more of The Brotherhood than it did the X-Men.

James Marsden limited scene was great. I had a huge problem with the lack of Professor X though. Why didn't he go to him for help? While I'm on Xavier, uh... hey Chuck there's something major happening with your number 1 priority down in the lab. How about getting down there? Take your time so she can knock out Wolverine and escape. But Cyclops kicked *** and his death was a solid way to go but was too rushed.

Pheonix was... a mess. I mean regardless of Jean going evil.... she was pretty quick to kill everyone she loved. I mean cmon'. And Magneto's manipulating her? Don't get me wrong McKellan (who I'll mention later) was great but I couldn't understand any of his actions. And the way they made him leave Mystique like that and her betrayal of him? Bull****. And the Jean/Wolverine love thing was totally forced. The part did not belong to Wolverine to be doing this...

Do you want me to get started on the "Morlocks". I won't. It's obvious they were throw in plot devices and an abuse of the X-Mythology. I don't see what the big deal of changing names on characters or giving them their right powers would be. Stupid.

Why was Colossus even in this film? Fastball special? Wow, what a waste. Kitty almost had some development... but didn't. Rogue was wasted.

Halle Berry's acting was terrible. She was givin' some good screentime due to her powers but like I said she and Wolverine basically stole the movie away from everyone else.

How about deaths? It's ok to kill Cyclops and Xavier but when the Master of Magnetism has Wolverine by fate's final thread, he'll let him walk. No.

And Magneto's reaction to Xavier's death... weak and poorly executed. Then when he says something to Pyro, I felt like it was too little too late.

The movie was good but was a piss poor follow up to Singer. I probably have a lot more terrible things to say but seriously, it wasn't entirely bad...

Vinnie Jones was the perfect Juggernaut.

Kitty Pride was perfectly casted but seemed a little young, but I loved her.

Kelsey Grammer was more than perfectly casted. And his stunts seemed sloppy at the end (wirework) but were pretty sweet mostly.

Ian McKellan nailed it as Magneto once again...

Aaron Stanford has ****in' fun playin' Pyro and it showed. My only complaint about him was his relationship with Bobby went too extreme. No sign of Bobby and Pyro being former best friends.

and if they do continue the franchise....

Shawn Ashmore's scenes were phenomenal. And to top it off the Ice up emerging from the flames. *Orgasm* (And I'm not immitating a certain moderator)... just too cool (no pun)

A lot of wasted potential in this film.

2/5

I respect and agree with almost all of that...

But Honestly, if Ratner is given X4, and is allowed to develop the things he probably will want to develop (aka, more action stuff, plus more of the younger characters), I think that has a chance of being an even more enjoyable movie.

I'm going to ignore that Callisto was in this movie, because she needs to be used properly, as do all of the Morlocks...

I bet they will, because the special effects teams are going to want to make Archangel.

How do you make an Angel lose his wings? The Mutant Massacre.

Plus it makes a great point to bring in Gambit, as his ties to the Maurauders and sinister could be great, and if they lose Halle Berry's Storm and Hugh Jackman's Wolverine,

And we need Alex Summers to show up...

Every single x-character whom Iceman has EVER dated has dumped him for Alex Summers at least once... And if they're bringing in a Mr. Sinister, they'd need a Summers brother.

This is all wishful thinking, of course.

But if they want Ratner to shine, then the emotional Cure and Pheonix Saga storylines are not precisely his cup of tea... Give him a classic

Remember what the 80's line-up of X-Men was back in the time of the Mutant Massacre?

uncanny210.jpg

Wolverine, Colossus, Shadowcat, Rogue, Storm and Nightcrawler.

Angel also was a member, but didn't come back into prominance until his wings needed to be amputated.

The team was led by Storm, because Cyclops had quit, unable to bear Jean's Death, not to mention Storm's promotion to Team Leader after a big conflict between the two.

The school was also under the management of Magneto, because Xavier had died.

Replace Nightcrawler with Iceman, and It seems to me that the status quo they've set up in the movies allow them to adapt plots more directly from the comic to the screen... Something I think will work to their benefit.

Last edited:
Wow Doc. For a guy whose pro-"So what if it's not in comic's continuity", you sure are dependent on a lot from the already established X-Storylines. I think a lot of that can be excused to bring in characters like Sinister, Apocalypse, Gambit, Archangel, Havok. You really don't need to go the route of Mutant Massacre, Summer's brothers and what have you.

i just think the Mutant Massacre plot would work...

Especially with the Sinister/Gambit side to it.

I am all for changing things if they can make a good movie, but if they can hold onto the integrity of some Classic X-Men stories and still make a good movie, then I'd like to see the classic X-Men stories.

Dr.Strangefate said:
i just think the Mutant Massacre plot would work...

Especially with the Sinister/Gambit side to it.

I am all for changing things if they can make a good movie, but if they can hold onto the integrity of some Classic X-Men stories and still make a good movie, then I'd like to see the classic X-Men stories.
But didn't they veto the use of Gambit since he's too similar to Wolverine in personality and too similar to Scott in SFX powers? Even with Scott gone (assuming they don't reboot before the next movie), if they shot him down once I bet they'd do it again. And Sinister is an even more convoluted villain than the Phoenix. I'd hate to see how they maul him to make him entertaining.

I really enjoyed the movies... Aside from the predictable deaths, I thought it was a good and accurate X-Men tale, emphasizing the presecution the mutants have had to endure and what happens when mutants have had enough. I thought that Beast was remarkable (I know I remember saying that having Kelsey Grammar as McCoy would be laughable... But he did very well), the action was pretty awesome, and Storm was actually bearable (It was a little too obvious that Halle Berry wanted to be in this movie a lot... I doubt if they really intended to make Storm that important of a character.). For what the movie was, I thought it was good.

The only thing that really bothered me was that these three movies are three seperate entities... Like, sure they all focus on the persecution and stuff, but there should have been tighter knots, you know? That's the only reason why it wasn't perfect.

Also, I don't like the fact that they left it open for more X-Men movies... I think three is enough.

Goodwill said:
Also, I don't like the fact that they left it open for more X-Men movies... I think three is enough.
That's where you're wrong. The ending did not matter because the X-Men movies are like the Bond movies. You can keep having more. With or without that ending, there is still a lot you can do with the X-Men. Three is sure not enough.

Ice said:
That's where you're wrong. The ending did not matter because the X-Men movies are like the Bond movies. You can keep having more. With or without that ending, there is still a lot you can do with the X-Men. Three is sure not enough.

I 100% agree with you Ice I want more X-men movies.

The spin off idea is kinda cool too with wolverine and magneto coming out but I still want X-IV , X-V ...ect ...ect

Planet-man said:
I definitely want at least one more X-Men movie directed by Singer or Ratner, and with the kind of dough X3 pulled in I have a feeling that dream will eventually come true.
Given how pissed off Avi Arad is at Ratner's final cut of X3 and the fact that Marvel Entertainment is taking over production, I think a snowball in hell has a better chance of happening than that.

So I saw this again........overall--my biggest problem is the entire Pheonix angle.

The character is such a prominent character in the comics and even was even hyped at the end of X2. But instead she's just a pawn for Magneto. Plus the look was just wrong. I would've liked to see her "on fire" when she tappe into the Pheonix powers.

Meh......I'm just quibbling. It wasn't great the first time around...and the film really isn't as good the second time around. So....

I was able to play closer attention to chaacters I was interested the first time around but because of all the jumping around from scene to scene I didn't get to focus on them.

I was actually impressed with The Juggernaut and Kitty. Not really their scene per se.....but just their respective characters.

The Juggernaut costume was great. It actually looked natural (well as natural as could be). Jones's attitude was great and fit Juggernaut's personality well.

Kitty played exactly like I would expect her to be at that age.

Second time around...2/5.

Latest posts

Back