Y: The Last Man - series discussion (spoilers)

Ultimate Houde said:
IIs there alot of science talk in it? Is there an end to it?

Yes, there is much biological speculation, in particular, especially in relation to the specifics of gendered physiology (obviously).

But it also touches equally on things like social relations (e.g. in a world without men, will there still be chauvanistic attitudes?), employment (would FHM-cover-worthy supermodels be necessary, if there are no men left to desire -- and market -- them?), art, and so forth.

It's never excessive or wanky about it, too. Every bit of speculation adds to the overall mood of the storyline, or advances character development, or forwards one of the many inter-related sub-plots. (It has a lot in common with Fables, in that sense.)

I beleive that Vaughn has a planned ending with issue 60. It's at 40-something right now. (Not sure about the exact number because I read it in TPB format.)

Last edited:
I've read the first 17 issues of it. I dig it.

The art isn't great but it's a lot of fun. I'm interested to see where this goes.

And is that a ninja chasing the monkey?

A-

I'm waiting for the trade of "paper dolls" to arrive.
But is it true that it finishin at 60, i think that will be good i mean there only so long you can drag out a series

I really dig this series. It's interesting and mature without coming off as pretentious and wanky, like some Vertigo titles (Gaiman, I'm looking at you).

It's going to end at 60. 45 came out this month, so it's got a little over a year left.

and yes, yes that is a ninja.

i got the trade of Paper Dolls...... man i love this series!!!!!!
and the next trade is out in like Novemeber, thats not far away to wait for a trade

DIrishB said:
So I was off today and spent the afternoon reading the first 43 issues of this series, and I must say I'm hooked. Very intelligent and humorous writing throughout, with a very interesting storyline. I'm liking it.

Good on ya....... its a really good story, its funny how all these good series are coming out, like Runaways, Alias, Y last man, Fables, and they don't contain Wolverine (except Runaways, but he not offically part of that team)

Series like Y The Last Man and Fables are awesome when read all at once.

DIrishB said:
So I was off today and spent the afternoon reading the first 43 issues of this series, and I must say I'm hooked. Very intelligent and humorous writing throughout, with a very interesting storyline. I'm liking it.

that'a boy...now all i have to do is, get you to read DMZ and my work is done for the month.8)

Shihad said:
Good on ya....... its a really good story, its funny how all these good series are coming out, like Runaways, Alias, Y last man, Fables, and they don't contain Wolverine (except Runaways, but he not offically part of that team)

Indeed.

ProjectX2 said:
Series like Y The Last Man and Fables are awesome when read all at once.

Agreed. Like I said, I sat down and read all 45 issues in an afternoon. :) Looking forward to #46 coming out next week.

nigma said:
that'a boy...now all i have to do is, get you to read DMZ and my work is done for the month.8)

I'm sure I'll get around to it. But I'll probably wait till its got some more issues available, as it only started shipping a few months back, didn't it?

And you all knew it was only a matter of time, so here's the link to the timeline I put together:

Y: The Last Man Timeline

Last edited:
Issue 46: this going to be in bullet format:

• Yorick confessed to 355 that he killed a girl in Arizona, and that he banged a chick in graveyard in San Fran, cuz he thought he was going to be killed off.

• You, used her robot and the monkey to make a quick climb up the mob ladder and is now in charge.

• Doc Mann gets her *** whipped by the ninja, and ends up getting stabbed through the right shoulder. the ninja takes Doc Manns mother and in return, wants the monkey retuned to her in hong Hong. and when the monkey is returned Doc Mann might learn WHO, not WHAT killed off all the men. its hinted that it might be this Ming chick...whom Doc Manns father dumped her mother for..
  • at the end when Yorick gets the monkey back he uses a phone from You to make a call to Hero at the detention site....where he tells her, hes headed off to Paris France..and is cut off before he could say anything else...expect at the same time Israel tanks are closing in.... on the detention site

Last edited:
nigma said:
  • You, used her robot and the monkey to make a quick climb up the mob ladder and is now in charge.
Monkeys, robots, and ninjas -- all in the same intelligent storyline. THAT, my friends, is part of why I love this series!

nigma said:
  • Doc Mann gets her *** whipped by the ninja, and ends up getting stabbed through the right shoulder. the ninja takes Doc Manns mother and in return, wants the monkey retuned to her in hong Hong. and when the monkey is returned Doc Mann might learn WHO, not WHAT killed off all the men. its hinted that it might be this Ming chick...whom Doc Manns father dumped her mother for..
WHAT?! I thought it was already established that it was because Desmond forgot to enter the numbers/push the button on...

*looks at thread title*

Oh, sorry. Carry on...

One last question -- does anybody here know how to build a Wiki (shared user) encyclopedia site? I'd love to make one for Y the Last Man or Fables, detailing Facts/Events and Speculation/Theories about the series.

Also, does anybody else feel that we haven't been given enough of a satisfactory explanation about the Amulet of Helene and that we might learn more about it, at least in flashbacks? I don't feel like it's been properly resolved as a plot point. (Please note that I haven't read the stuff collected in Paper Dolls onwards yet. If there's anyhting more mentioned, go ahead and spoil it for me.)

compound said:
Monkeys, robots, and ninjas -- all in the same intelligent storyline. THAT, my friends, is part of why I love this series!

WHAT?! I thought it was already established that it was because Desmond forgot to enter the numbers/push the button on...

*looks at thread title*

Oh, sorry. Carry on...

One last question -- does anybody here know how to build a Wiki (shared user) encyclopedia site? I'd love to make one for Y the Last Man or Fables, detailing Facts/Events and Speculation/Theories about the series.

Also, does anybody else feel that we haven't been given enough of a satisfactory explanation about the Amulet of Helene and that we might learn more about it, at least in flashbacks? I don't feel like it's been properly resolved as a plot point. (Please note that I haven't read the stuff collected in Paper Dolls onwards yet. If there's anyhting more mentioned, go ahead and spoil it for me.)

the pendent was destroyed...in san fran, by the people that left the ring, and formed there own, it was smashed into the ground.

nigma said:
the pendent was destroyed...in san fran, by the people that left the ring, and formed there own, it was smashed into the ground.
I know that -- I read the Ring... TPB. But I felt that it was destroyed before they properly explained how it works, what it stands for, etc. Almost like BKV wrote it out of the story, prematurely, leaving so many questions about it unanswered. Oh well.

Well, I got #46.

I love Ampersand. It was such a touching moment when Yorick and the monkey were reunited. And then he bit his ear. :lol:

Y The Last Man is a great comic. I tend to find these comics with a definite ending in place far more interesting than titles that just go on for hundreds of issues.

Truly one of the greatest comics I've read. It shall be both a happy and sad day when it ends.

compound said:
I know that -- I read the Ring... TPB. But I felt that it was destroyed before they properly explained how it works, what it stands for, etc. Almost like BKV wrote it out of the story, prematurely, leaving so many questions about it unanswered. Oh well.

maybe we'll get a better explanation out of BKV a little later...maybe around 53'ish? i don't know...its time i went back and re-read Y: its been way to long since i've read this thing as whole...

nigma said:
maybe we'll get a better explanation out of BKV a little later...maybe around 53'ish? i don't know...its time i went back and re-read Y: its been way to long since i've read this thing as whole...

Agreed. When it's finished, I might sit down and read it all through. It makes much more sense that way, and it's fresh on the brain. :D

Latest posts

Back