Avengers Young Avengers series discussion (spoilers)

icemastertron said:
Young Avengers Special #1 (OCT051998D; FOC 12/08/05) will now contain 48 pages instead of 32 pages, will retail for $3.99 instead of $2.99, and has an adjusted ship date of December 28 instead of December 21.
Yay?

I wish we'd get this book a little more regularly.

Patriot comes from a middle-class family who have relocated because of work, but kept him in NYC with his grandparents so he can finish what is inferred to be a math class for gifted children. Angry young black man? He works at the library. He cries more than anybody in comics. All his friends are white. Half are girls and half are boys. He has a poster of Capt. America in his house. Is he interested in Hawkbishop? Who wouldn't be? But he is a nerd wannabe hero, and why some find him threatening is…odd.

As for Witchboy and Hulkette, I'm not crazy about them regardless of sexual orientation (Daredevil seems more flamboyantly gay than those two). Witchboy just seems like a Wanda "I can wish what I want" dude and the Hulkskrull just comes right on the heels of yet ANOTHER Skrull reveal (in MK Spidey) from the Crackhouse of Ideas.

Until the most recent issue, I just liked the pacing and the twists. Why this has to be a PC topic is Pretty Crazy.

So, to sum up:

This is your brain:

Originally Posted by Ryho:
---Statistically, we have three men and two women (and, umm, Vision, who doesn't count at this point). ONE of the 5 characters is non white. Two of them are gay. That's completely reasonable..

This is your brain on drugs.

Originally Posted by Doc Comic
--The whole thing comes off as a gigantic, generic, PC comic. The rich yuppie girl, the girl whose father was a hero, a gay alien, an outcasted (and slightly gothic) wiccan, and a black boy who lives in poverty (and is hinted at hating white people).

John Q. Public said:
Patriot comes from a middle-class family who have relocated because of work, but kept him in NYC with his grandparents so he can finish what is inferred to be a math class for gifted children. Angry young black man? He works at the library. He cries more than anybody in comics. All his friends are white. Half are girls and half are boys. He has a poster of Capt. America in his house. Is he interested in Hawkbishop? Who wouldn't be? But he is a nerd wannabe hero, and why some find him threatening is…odd.

As for Witchboy and Hulkette, I'm not crazy about them regardless of sexual orientation (Daredevil seems more flamboyantly gay than those two). Witchboy just seems like a Wanda "I can wish what I want" dude and the Hulkskrull just comes right on the heels of yet ANOTHER Skrull reveal (in MK Spidey) from the Crackhouse of Ideas.

Until the most recent issue, I just liked the pacing and the twists. Why this has to be a PC topic is Pretty Crazy.

So, to sum up:

This is your brain:

Originally Posted by Ryho:
---Statistically, we have three men and two women (and, umm, Vision, who doesn't count at this point). ONE of the 5 characters is non white. Two of them are gay. That's completely reasonable..

This is your brain on drugs.

Originally Posted by Doc Comic
--The whole thing comes off as a gigantic, generic, PC comic. The rich yuppie girl, the girl whose father was a hero, a gay alien, an outcasted (and slightly gothic) wiccan, and a black boy who lives in poverty (and is hinted at hating white people).
Oh dear god I agree with him... What do I do? WHAT DO I DO?

The special revealed parts of the origins. Also confirmed that Billy and Teddy are together.

Cassie-

Right before she went to the old Avengers Mansion, she went to see Tony because she wanted to know how her father died. Her mother caught her, and her step-father. She talked back to her step-father, and her mother slapped the **** outta her. That led her to go to the mansion, since she was planning on running away to LA to join the Runaways.

Teddy-

He first showed his powers to the basketball captain and class prez, 'Greg Norris'. They soon became best friends, since Billy would shape shift into Johnny Storm, and they got girls, became Hulk, and even Tony Stark. Then, once the Avengers Mansion was landmarked, Greg got Teddy to go in as Tony, so they can get into the mansion. In there. Greg tried to steal plates and paintings so he can sell them, but Teddy stopped them. Friendship over. While in there, Iron Lad shows up.

Billy-
Before the finale of the Avengers (how long before- time unknown), Scarlet Witch found a beat up, bleeding Billy sitting on a park bench. She has a talk with him, with him telling her a bully beat him up. She's trying to cheer him up, healing him, and telling him that he should stand his ground. So next time he sees the bully, he does, defending another person. He reveals his powers and almost kills someone. He runs to the avengers mansion, hoping to talk to Scarlet Witch, but now this is when theres no more Avengers. Iron Lad shows up now.

Kate-

First part shows her and her sister trying out a wedding dress (her sister is getting married). Reveals about her mother. Her mother's dead, and she spent her time helping poor around the world. Her sister just rather spend their fathers money. As she walks through the park, she gets mugged. Raped? Doesnt mention/show/say, but there's a panel where she's holding herself like she was. But I doubt it. After this, she gets training for self defense.

Eli-

This reveals he's been doing MGH for years. As a little kid (maybe 10? 11-12 at most), he was walkind from the grocery store with his grandfather when some hoodlums attacked him. "Black captain america? wheres your powers, grandpa?" they kept taunting him and throwing stuff at him. Broke a bottle on his head. Eli took it and tried to defend his grandfather. Eli got beat up, and tried to follow. He met up with these other guys, who first showed him MGH, and he took it from there. Next time he met the guys when he was getting a football in the woods, his grandfather beat the **** outta them instead.

All this was found out as the kids told Jessica, because Kat Farell was going to run a story on them, with or without Jessica's help. At the end, as the kids come in their uniforms to Kat to tell her more, Luke shows up for Jessica. As Luke and Jessica talk about how the kids killed Kang and all that, they're now shown on someone's screen. Who's screen? Kang's of course.

END

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
Thanks Ice. So Kang's coming back or do you think it was Just Iron Lad watching over his old friends?
Kinda unsure. But the panel where it shows Kang's face, he looks away from the screen with a look that says "Hmph" with his arms folded. Not a mean or pissed face, or happy face, though.

icemastertron said:
The special revealed parts of the origins. Also confirmed that Billy and Teddy are together.

GAY!

UltimateE said:

Hell Yes!

Billy as a possible son of Scarlet Witch was my interpretation of all of that... I mean... That would make him A-Class powerful, and tie him inexorably to both the X-Men AND the downfall of the Avengers...

I'm a fan of that.

Teddy is still my favorite character, and NOT just because he is the cutest (although that helps).

Anybody else noticing how these kids are changing in every issue? It's like in the first arc, they were teen Avengers like how Young Justice was the teen JLA, but as the title progresses, they're starting to have no relation to the actual Avengers. Asgardian is now called Wiccan and isn't related to Thor in any way, Patriot is probably going to change his name, Hulkling is breaking more and more out of the Hulk form, and so on. It seems like they used "Young Avengers" and the comparison to the real Avengers to launch the title and get readers and now they're changing it to make it just another team of random teens.

Doc Comic said:
Anybody else noticing how these kids are changing in every issue? It's like in the first arc, they were teen Avengers like how Young Justice was the teen JLA, but as the title progresses, they're starting to have no relation to the actual Avengers. Asgardian is now called Wiccan and isn't related to Thor in any way, Patriot is probably going to change his name, Hulkling is breaking more and more out of the Hulk form, and so on. It seems like they used "Young Avengers" and the comparison to the real Avengers to launch the title and get readers and now they're changing it to make it just another team of random teens.
Their relation to Avengers is being revealed in the upcoming issues.

Doc Comic said:

They should just call it "Superhero OC."

icemastertron said:
Their relation to Avengers is being revealed in the upcoming issues.
What, that Thor got it on with Volstagg or Balder The Brave, and somehow Volstagg got knocked up (it will be explained that some Asgardian men can get pregnant - Card) and gave birth to Billy?

They all have connections to the Avengers, we just don't know WHAT connections they have.

Teddy is probably the son of the first Captain Marvel and a Skrull princess...

Patriot is the grandson of the first Captain America, Isaiah Bradley...

Billy is probably the son/creation of the Scarlet Witch

Kate Bishop is probably the daughter of one of the Black Widows (or another Spy-type character)

Stature is the daughter of Hank Pym

I might be forgetting someone... but the Vision program had all of these kids down as the next generation of Avengers.

Latest posts

Back