Your 5 Favorite Films of 2007 -- Update As You Go

300 (4.5)
Knocked Up (4)
Grindhouse (4)
1408 (4)
Spider-Man 3 (3.5)
Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End (3)
Ghost Rider (2.5)
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2.5)

Updated for 1408.

When updating can everyone just repost their list again? You're making a post saying you updated anyway.

300 (4.5)
Knocked Up (4)
Grindhouse (4)
1408 (4)
Spider-Man 3 (3.5)
Ghost Rider (2.5)

Updated for 1408.

When updating can everyone just repost their list again? You're making a post saying you updated anyway.

Yes, that's what we did with the 2006 thread, and I've been wishing we could do it here. It gets a little hard trying to locate everyone's list when they just say updated. Mine's just my sig, so easy peasy, but I hope everyone reposts theirs when they update. :D

1. Knocked Up - 9/10 - Best comedy i've seen in a long while.

2. Zodiac - 8.5/10 - Well constructed, but a bit longer than necessary. The acting was fantastic though, probably the best I've seen so far this year.

3. Hot Fuzz - 8.5/10 - Fun, Funny, Action-packed. Also: Timothy Dalton is fantastic, and I now want to write movies where I can make him the bad guy.

4. Bridge to Terabithia - 8.5/10 - Most heartwarming story i've seen all year, based on my favorite book in Middle School

5. Grindhouse - 8/10 - Lots of fun, it has its weak points, but the sheer enjoyability of Planet Terror, and the newest Tarantino film (which includes what I now consider to be the greatest chase sequence of ALL time)... Death Proof is simply brilliant. I'll see it again if it hits the theaters on its lonesome.

6. Ocean's 13 - 8/10 - Its not quite the quality of the first one... But it's ALMOST up there... The first half of the movie I was really anxious, because it took a WHILE to get going... But when it picked up, it really picked up and I enjoyed the hell out of it... Clooney and Pitt's relationship gives this an extra point, but I might knock it down later in the year.

7. Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End - 8/10 - Satisfying ending to a well executed trilogy. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and I'll happily dish out the money for the next film on the list.

8. 300 - 7/10 - Fun. Good. But the scenes in sparta interspersed with the narrative slows the story... I need to see it again (for the fourth time), but I'm pretty sure that this is where I stand on it. Mostly Good.

9. Fantastic Four: The Rise of the Silver Surfer - 7/10 - Had a lot of the flaws of the first, but rectified several of them... Johnny Storm continues to be the strongest aspect of the series, which I absolutely hope continues... My biggest Problem is with Mr. Fantastic, cuz, well... he should seem intelligent.

9. Spider-Man 3 - 6/10 - The most disapointing film experience I've had all year. This made me cringe so much with what they messed up that every time something decent happened it was ruined by the inconsistency of it all... The good parts simply showed that this COULD have been good. But they opted against it, apparently...

10. Evan Almighty - 5/10 - It had heart, but no real discernable message, and poor usage of Wanda Sykes, who I think can be fantastic when she's got a good script. I'm glad I saw it once, but doubt i'll ever see it again.

11. Ghost Rider - 4/10 - This movie made me want to make my own Ghost Rider movie, one that was good.

Movies I Plan to See This Year:
- Ratatouille (Pixar. 'Nuff Said)
- Sicko (Michael Moore movie praised by conservatives? Gotta check it out)
- Transformers (My friends are dragging me. It looks awful)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (looks like the best one yet)
- Hairspray (Actually I might be most excited about this movie, over everything else in the next few months)
- The Simpsons Movie (Looks good)
- Stardust (I suspect this might be my favorite movie of the year... I love the book, and its been getting fantastic advance reviews)
- Wristcutters: A Love Story (I <3 Patrick Fugit)
- The Nanny Diaries (It looks good)
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (the title says it all)
- Beowulf (Neil Gaiman! Woot!)
- Enchanted (The first Disney movie i've been excited about in AGES... Looks funny and charming and it might be the dawn of a new era for Disney)
- The Golden Compass (one of my favorite book series of all time... plus GREAT casting)
- National Treasure: The Book of Secrets (enjoyed the first one enough)
- Sweeney Todd (Please God, don't suck. Sweeney is one of my alltime favorite musicals, and I might die if Burton doesnt do it justice.)

Last edited:
- Hairspray (Actually I might be most excited about this movie, over everything else in the next few months)
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (the title says it all)
- Sweeney Todd (Please God, don't suck. Sweeney is one of my alltime favorite musicals, and I might die if Burton doesnt do it justice.)

Wootzers!

I knew they were making Hairspray but I didn't really bother at looking at the cast. Then I saw the preview like 2 weeks ago. YAY JULY!

I've been waiting the Jesse James film for over a year now. I wish they'd get on with it.

MEAT PIES! MEAT PIES! Normally, I'd be really hyped for Sweeney Todd....even with Depp involved. But the Burton thing has me a mite worried.

Is there really anyone else here on UC that's into musicals and theatre like DSF and Doom? I'm no theatre afficianado or anything like that....but I know what I likes.

So...

300 - THIS... IS... SO GOOOOD!
Hot Fuzz - Jog on!
Pan's Labyrinth - Saw this on the plane. It's like Spirited Away if it was written by Stephen King. It's feckin' great.
Ocean's 13 - PACK YOUR THINGS!
Wild Hogs - I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. Annoyingly. the plane landed just before the ending, so I have to find a copy and watch it again. It's an odd film. It's actually THE SEVEN SAMURAI dressed up as a middle-aged crisis road trip movie.
Spider-Man 3 - meh
Ghost Rider - I started watching this on the flight, and got so bored I had to turn it off. What a piece of ****.

300 (4.5)
Ocean's 13 (4.5)
Knocked Up (4)
Grindhouse (4)
1408 (4)
Live Free Or Die Hard (3.5)
Spider-Man 3 (3.5)
The Astronaut Farmer (3)
Ghost Rider (2.5)
Hostel: Part II (2)

I watched Hostel 2 on tv-links last night at work, so I'll include it. It was pretty bad, but better than the first and the lead actress was beautiful and the girl from Welcome to the Dollhouse was in it so it probably got a higher score than it deserved.

I also just watched The Astronaut Farmer on tv-links. It has been placed accordingly.

Aaaaaaand. . . Ocean's 13. And Live Free Or Die Hard.

I'm thinking of messing with my ratings system somewhat. The numbers are my initial reaction to the quality of the film, but aren't necessarily representative of which films I enjoyed more than others. It wasn't really a problem before Live Free Or Die Hard, which I stand firm was a 3.5, although I'm sure I enjoyed it more than 1408, which I want to keep as a 4. Maybe it's just the newness and in time it'll pass and I'll get a clearer view. Dunno.

Last edited:
1. Grindhouse 9/10 - Death Proof's restarting itself lost it a point.
2. 28 weeks later 8/10 - Minor quibbles aside, the timeframe setting of this movie alone puts it on my list.
3. Hot Fuzz 8/10 - Great fun. Can't wait for the DVD
4. 1408 8/10 - John Cusak is a hotel room alone for over an hour? I'm there!
5.Spider-Man 3 7.5/10 - A wiser man than I summed this movie up. Its not so much a Spider-man movie as it is a Sam Rami movie. thankfully I love Sam Rami's movies.

Updated. Pirates didn't make the top 5, nor did Knocked Up.

1. Knocked Up - 9/10 - Best comedy i've seen in a long while.

2. Zodiac - 8.5/10 - Well constructed, but a bit longer than necessary. The acting was fantastic though, probably the best I've seen so far this year.

3. Hot Fuzz - 8.5/10 - Fun, Funny, Action-packed. Also: Timothy Dalton is fantastic, and I now want to write movies where I can make him the bad guy.

4. Bridge to Terabithia - 8.5/10 - Most heartwarming story i've seen all year, based on my favorite book in Middle School

5. Grindhouse - 8/10 - Lots of fun, it has its weak points, but the sheer enjoyability of Planet Terror, and the newest Tarantino film (which includes what I now consider to be the greatest chase sequence of ALL time)... Death Proof is simply brilliant. I'll see it again if it hits the theaters on its lonesome.

6. Ocean's 13 - 8/10 - Its not quite the quality of the first one... But it's ALMOST up there... The first half of the movie I was really anxious, because it took a WHILE to get going... But when it picked up, it really picked up and I enjoyed the hell out of it... Clooney and Pitt's relationship gives this an extra point, but I might knock it down later in the year.

7. Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End - 8/10 - Satisfying ending to a well executed trilogy. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and I'll happily dish out the money for the next film on the list.

8. 300 - 7/10 - Fun. Good. But the scenes in sparta interspersed with the narrative slows the story... I need to see it again (for the fourth time), but I'm pretty sure that this is where I stand on it. Mostly Good.

9. Shrek 3 - 7/10 - Solid Enough... Not as much heart as the first, Not as much funny as the second, but still a the end of the day it was an enjoyable solid movie with fantastic CGI... There's this bit with The Gingerbread Man's life flashing before his eyes that still makes me laugh just thinking about it. Not great, Not Bad. Certainly better than I expected.

10. Fantastic Four: The Rise of the Silver Surfer - 7/10 - Had a lot of the flaws of the first, but rectified several of them... Johnny Storm continues to be the strongest aspect of the series, which I absolutely hope continues... My biggest Problem is with Mr. Fantastic, cuz, well... he should seem intelligent.

11. Spider-Man 3 - 6/10 - The most disapointing film experience I've had all year. This made me cringe so much with what they messed up that every time something decent happened it was ruined by the inconsistency of it all... The good parts simply showed that this COULD have been good. But they opted against it, apparently...

12. Evan Almighty - 5/10 - It had heart, but no real discernable message, and poor usage of Wanda Sykes, who I think can be fantastic when she's got a good script. I'm glad I saw it once, but doubt i'll ever see it again.

13. Ghost Rider - 4/10 - This movie made me want to make my own Ghost Rider movie, one that was good.

- Ratatouille (Pixar. 'Nuff Said)
- Sicko (Michael Moore movie praised by conservatives? Gotta check it out)
- Transformers (My friends are dragging me. It looks awful)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (looks like the best one yet)
- The Simpsons Movie (Looks good)
- Stardust (I suspect this might be my favorite movie of the year... I love the book, and its been getting fantastic advance reviews)
- Wristcutters: A Love Story (I <3 Patrick Fugit)
- The Nanny Diaries (It looks good)
- Beowulf (Neil Gaiman! Woot!)
- Enchanted (The first Disney movie i've been excited about in AGES... Looks funny and charming and it might be the dawn of a new era for Disney)
- The Golden Compass (one of my favorite book series of all time... plus GREAT casting)
- National Treasure: The Book of Secrets (enjoyed the first one enough)

DSF, those are about the same thoughts that I had about Shrek the Third.

I made a slight change in my Top 5. Can anybody tell what I did?

And just remember, if you can, that's nothing to be proud of. Go outside and enjoy the day.

Evan Almighty - 5/10 - It had heart, but no real discernable message, and poor usage of Wanda Sykes, who I think can be fantastic when she's got a good script. I'm glad I saw it once, but doubt i'll ever see it again.

Sounds like it proves my "You can't make a Carrey-less sequel" theory. But sounds like the best of the Carrey-less sequels (but that's not hard)

Last edited:
He stopped doing sequels after Ace Ventura 2.

1. 300 - 9/10 - It's just a kickass movie. It was so visually entertaining. I saw it on opening day.
2. Knocked Up - 9.5/10. Extremely funny. I liked it better than 40YOV.
3. Pan's Labyrinth - 8/10. Great and original. It was released in 2006, but it was in December and I didn't see it until it came out on DVD.
4. Hot Fuzz - 7.5/10. I wasn't expecting it to be another horror movie, which is why I didn't give it a higher rating. It was marketed as a cop movie, and I didn't expect it to be another Shaun of the Dead. Maybe if it was marketed differently I would have liked it better....but I suppose that adds to the comedy.
5. Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Film For Theaters - 10/10 - Haha yeah. Perfect score. I'm a huge ATHF fan, and I have all the seasons on DVD. This is the funniest movie I have seen all year.

These are the only great films I've seen so far (keep in mind I haven't seen Evan Almighty, Live Free or Die Hard, Shrek 3, Pirates 3, Ocean's 13, or Fantastic Four 2 yet....I know, I need to go to the movies). Grindhouse was decent, but doesn't make my list. Spider-Man 3 was the worst of the series. Hostel 2 was really stupid. For some reason, I felt that it didn't have enough violence (at least not as much as the first). And, pointless nudity as usual. Ghost Rider was really bad.

I'm planning on seeing Transformers, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Superbad, and Mr. Woodcock. But that's about it.

Annoyingly, AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE COLON MOVIE FILM FOR THEATRES didn't come out over here. :( Have to wait to buy the dvd from the US at some point or something. :)

Annoyingly, AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE COLON MOVIE FILM FOR THEATRES didn't come out over here. :( Have to wait to buy the dvd from the US at some point or something. :)

I would seriously reccommend against that. The movie was really bad. unless you must see it, see it. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste a penny.

Knocked Up: 9/10
Grindhouse: 7/10
Spider-Man 3: 4/10
Shrek The Third: 6/10
Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End: 8/10
Blades of Glory: 6/10
300: 7/10
Hot Fuzz: 9/10
Ocean's 13: 8/10
Evan Almighty: 6/10
Live Free Or Die Hard: 7/10

Updated. Live Free or Die Hard.