Your Favorite Movies of 2009

Yup; Segel and Rudd were there, too. I got my picture taken with Segel and a hug from Paul Rudd. Amazing. Amazing. AAHHHH!!!!

I ****ing hate you.

If I ever meet you, I will snap your neck out of sheer seething jealousy, burning hatred, petty spitefulness.

1. Coraline - 9/10 - The first movie I've ever seen to use 3D to enhance the experience rather than for cheap thrills. A Brilliant movie. By far Sellick's best work, and that includes Nightmare Before Christmas.

2. In The Loop - 8/10 - Very well executed critique of British and American actions before the start of an unnamed war (which can very much be assumed to be Iraq). Absolutely hilarious, there are laugh out loud moments throughout.

3. Last Chance Harvey - 7.5/10 - This film wouldn't be anything without Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman, but with them it becomes a rather touching romantic comedy that never gets too sappy.

4. Monsters vs. Aliens - 7/10 - By no means a great movie, but a lot of fun, and a surprising amount of heart. Enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

5. Watchmen - 6.5/10 - In the end I liked it more then I didn't like it. It got a lot right, more than certainly I ever expected. But at the end of the day it just wasn't capable of packing the punch of the original.

6. Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel - 5/10 - Mediocre Sci-Fi comedy shlock that has some good moments and some good ideas, but in the end just leaves you with a wholly mediocre film.

Films I want to see:
I Love You, Man - Paul Rudd = Yes
Adventureland - Maybe
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Hoping this will surprise me. Probably won't.
Star Trek - Crossing my fingers for greatness.
The Brothers Bloom - This looks amazing
Terminator Salvation - Hell yes I am seeing this movie.
Up - Pixar. Nuff Said.
Whatever Works - Woody Allen is back in NYC and this time with Larry David. Let's see what happens.
Year One - Looks pretty funny. Hoping I might get to go to the Premeire.
Bruno - Why not?
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Looks like it could be the best yet.
Funny People - First time i've been excited for an Adam Sandler movie since middle school.
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - I choose this over Transformers for my mindless summer movie fun.
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea - Hayao Miyazaki + Tina Fey = **** yes.
Inglourious Basterds - How could I say no to Mr. Tarentino?
Whiteout - I love the comic, let's see if they do a decent job...
Where The Wild Things Are - I am more excited for this movie than anything else coming out this year.
Youth in Revolt - Maybe.
Fantastic Mr. Fox - Wes Andersen's First Foray into Animation. Should be interesting.
The Lovely Bones - Peter Jackson. Let's see what happens.
The Princess and the Frog - While I hope for greatness, if it sucks, I'll still see it just to support traditional animation.
Sherlock Holmes - Robert Downey Jr... Nuff Said.

Last edited:
Monsters vs. Aliens was ****ing awesome.

It's been a long time since Dreamworks actually won me over with one of their CGI features.

Updated for Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman: A
I loved it. This convinces me that a live action Wonder Woman movie can work well. Steve Trevor was awesome. I seriously can't think of anything I didn't like about it.

Watchmen: B
I may be being too generous but I thought it was fairly good. After thinking about it there are quite a few things that Snyder should have done differently (Oxymandias, some of the ending stuff, the fighting sequences, big blue penis, Hallelujah...) but more or less I think he got it right. I can't wait for the extended edition.

Taken: C+
This was alright. Toward the beginning it sets itself up to be a smart thriller, but eventually it just devolves into brainless action. It felt like a second-rate Bourne film.

Defiance: C-
I thought this was kinda boring. It wasn't nearly as "actiony" as I thought it was going to be. But then again that may be my fault. Certainly worth checking on DVD, but I don't think it was worth the $8 I paid to see it in a theater.

Movies I want to see:
Wolverine:Sure, I've kinda already seen it, but I am interested to see the changes they make. Hopefully it will improve the movie. It wasn't horrible to begin with though.
Star Trek:The movie I'm looking forward to the most this summer. Looks like a lot of fun, and according to gossip it's quite good.
Terminator Salvation:I haven't seen anything to make me think this will be bad. I really couldn't care less if Batman *****ed out some "director of photography." He's Batman god dammit!!
Land of the Lost:This could be good. I'm not going in with huge expectations so it should at least be good for some laughs.
The Hangover:Mike Tyson + "In the Air Tonight" = awesome.
Transformers 2:I'm really not that excited for this movie at this present time, but I'm sure I will end up seeing it. I have a feeling it's going to be a bit of a let down though.
Public Enemies:Johnny Depp + Christian Bale + Michael Mann...how can you say no?
Bruno:I don't think this is going to be as funny as Borat but it looks funny enough to waste $8 on.
500 Days of Summer:...don't judge me.
Harry Potter 51:I've seen the last fifty so I might as well see this one.
Funny People:I'm not a huge Adam Sandler or Seth Rogen fan, but it has Eric Bana so I guess I have to see it.
GI Joe:I have a feeling I'm going to hate myself for seeing this half an hour into the movie, but I'm going to do it anyway dammit.
Inglorious Basterds:Why not? I hate Nazi's as much as the next guy.
Jennifer's Body:I am only going to see this because it has Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried, both of whom I find sexy.
The Wolfman:Benicio del Toro was born to play a werewolf.
Avatar:Apparently the CGI is revolutionary. This, in addition to the fact that there aren't a lot of movies that I want to see this December, pretty much means I'll be there opening night.
Sherlock Holmes:I don't know how well this is going to do at the box office but I'm curious. If Downey brings the charm I'll be there.
Trick r' Treat:This was going to come out like two years ago, but for some reason WB still hasn't gotten around to it. Hopefully this will be the year.

Last edited:
I Love You Man was hilarious. But like Forgetting Sarah Marshall, this just seemed to be a bit too long.

I was sitting in the theater watching this and then I was ready for the film to end and it was like, "Oh **** me...I have like another 30 minutes to go on this. Damn."

Also, why is Paul Rudd always in films that mirror my life? Knocked Up was about an accidental pregnancy. What do you think my son is? Yeah...I said it. Don't mean I love him any less.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is about doing crazy stuff to get over an ex. I swear I've slept with a girl who always liked to say "Hi" repeatedly.

And now I Love You Man is about a guy who doesn't have a lot of male friends and has wacky adventures trying to find a guy pal. Story of my life. AND THERE'S EVEN A ****ING PUGGLE IN THE FILM!!!!!

I swear Paul Rudd must have a film crew secretly following me.

Adventureland B+ - I really saw a lot of myself in the characters in this movie. I might be rating it higher because of this.

I Love You Man B -Very funny stuff. After this and Forgetting Sarah Marshell Jason Siegel is coming up on my list of actors to watch for.

Taken B - This Shortpacked about summs it up.

Coraline B- - I saw this in 2D, so its possible that hindered it. I felt the animation was a bit choppy in a few parts, mainly the begining. Still, it was creepy as hell. And well done.

Friday The Thirteenth B- - Well, take everything that was good in the old Jason movies and give it a budget over 2 mil and you get a highly enjoyable Slasher flick. I liked it.

Last edited:
I Love You Man B -Very funny stuff. After this and Forgetting Sarah Marshell Jason Siegel is coming up on my list of actors to watch for.

I lose it everytime I see the clip where Segel makes fun of Andre the Giant's "Anybody want a peanut?" line.

It's perfect.

PERFECT!

My Favourite Movies of 2009 Updated

• The wrestler 4.7 / 5
  • Hulk Vs 4.5 / 5
  • Dragonball Evolution 4/5 - could have been better but still I enjoyed it.
  • Bolt 3 / 5

Last edited:
Coraline: A- (I freely admit, I watched it with a child's eyes, was it perfect, no, but was it wonderful, oh hell yes)

Wonder Woman: A+ (This is what the Live Action movie should be. Tho, I'll admit and cried and yelled at the screen during the Alexa/Persephone scene)

Watchmen: B-/C+ (After initial *****ing and a second viewing, I have a few less complaints. It's still not a great adaptation, but it is a beautiful film)

Hulk Vs: B- (Thor)/B (Wolverine) (Okay, these were what I expected, great smash em ups, but with the Doc Strange animated movie fresh in my mind, it just didn't stack up)

Friday the 13th: A- (I loved it, easily as much as the originals. I liked the more realistic and rational explanations of things like how Jason can get the drop on people running)

Movies I'm going to see:

Where the Wild Things Are (probably multiple times)
Transformers 2
Star Trek
GI Joe (Looks like mindless fun)
Terminator Salvation
Sherlock Holmes (I'm a Guy Ritchie fan, sue me)
Bruno
Harry Potter
Wolverine
Green Lantern
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
The Brothers Bloom
Up
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
Inglourious Basterds
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Lovely Bones
The Princess and the Frog

Saw Adventureland this Monday. Gotta say I don't highly reccommend it. I thought it would have been alot funnier. Especially since Bill Hader and Ryan Reynolds get alot of play time in the trailers and commercials. It wasn't really the case in the movie. The main character seems like a po'boy version of Michael Cera. Like, he has all the quirks but none of the charisma or charm so he just comes off as annoying. Kristen Stewart was pretty cute but her acting wasn't all that great. I never saw Twilight and as far as I know, that's the only other movie I know she's done. So I got nothing to judge her acting against.

Every supporting character was pretty good though and that's the only reason to see the movie. But it kinda sucks.

6. Adventureland
I like the new sting of teen romantic comedies that seem more realistic with the awkwardness of dating. This one was average, but I enjoyed it. Kristen Stewart is nice looking.

5. I Love You, Man
Last movie I seen these two in was Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Instant classic. This one not so much. It was pretty plain.

4. Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
It's about as good as the others. They really should of started with this one from the get go.

3. Watchmen
It was very brilliant in some parts and really really terrible at overall. The overall narrative seemed to suffer, especially for the ones not familiar with the source material. I was just happy to see Rorschach played so well.

2. Fired Up
It was actually really funny. References to the classic Bring It On, hell they even watched it in the movie. It was like Wedding Crashers meets Bring It On.

1. Coraline
Gaiman movies are 3 for 3 in my book. It was such a great corky little film. The voice acting and stop animation was perfect.

Movies To Watch
Killshot
Fanboys
Push
Friday the 13th
The Horsemen
This Side of the Truth
Assassination of a High School President
Dragonball
----
Crank 2: High Voltage (Apr 17)
State of Play (Apr 17)
The Mutant Chronicles (Apr 24)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (May 1)
Star Trek (May 8)
Angels & Demons (May 15)
The Brothers Bloom (May 15)
Brüno (May 15)
Terminator Salvation (May 22)
Up (May 29)
The Year One (June 19)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (June 26)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (July 17)
Shorts (Aug 7)
Inglourious Basterds (Aug 21)
9 (Sep 9)
Whiteout (Sep 11)
Jennifer's Body (Sep 18)
Ashecliffe (Oct 2)
Astro Boy (Oct 23)
Saw VI (Oct 23)
The Box (Nov 6)
A Christmas Carol (Nov 6)
The Wolfman (Nov 6)
Fantastic Mr. Fox (Nov 6)
The Lovely Bones (Dec 11)
The Time Traveler's Wife
The Objective
Blood - The Last Vampire

Independent Films
The Informers
I Love You Phillip Morris
Moon (June)
Bronson
My Suicide

I think I'll list these in the order I see them this year.

Watchmen - 7.5/10
I'm not sure how to rate this. It's good but not great. Enjoyable. A worthy adaptation. Probably the closest we'll come to a perfect film version of Watchmen. But there are still flaws... flaws that would always be there because it was a comic, not a film. But yeah... it's good enough for me. 8 might be too high but 7 might be too low, so I think 7.5 is right for me.

Monsters Vs. Aliens - 7/10
Predictable story but great animation and a brilliant voice cast. Really enjoyable and a lot of fun.

Updated for Observe and Report:

1. Coraline A
2. Observe and Report A-
3. I Love You, Man B+
4. Adventureland B+
5. Watchmen B
6. Monsters vs. Aliens B-
7. Push C-

Latest posts

Back