Your Favorite Movies of 2009

• Monsters Vs Aliens 4.7/5
  • The wrestler 4.7 / 5
  • Hulk Vs 4.5 / 5
  • Dragonball Evolution 4/5 - could have been better but still I enjoyed it.
  • Bolt 3 / 5

The Soloist comes out tomorrow. I'm seeing it Saturday. I've been looking forward to seeing it for a while.

Watchmen - 7/10
I'm not sure how to rate this. It's good but not great. Enjoyable. A worthy adaptation. Probably the closest we'll come to a perfect film version of Watchmen. But there are still flaws... flaws that would always be there because it was a comic, not a film. But yeah... it's good enough for me. 8 might be too high but 6 might be too low, so I think 7 is right for me. I doubt I will ever see this again as I'd rather read the graphic novel instead.

Monsters Vs. Aliens - 7/10
Predictable story but great animation and a brilliant voice cast. Really enjoyable and a lot of fun.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 3/10
A lot of potential that is completely wasted. A movie that is sometimes about Wolverine but mainly all over the place.

Star Trek next.

Last edited:
Updated for X-Men Origins: Wolverine

1. Coraline A
2. Observe and Report A-
3. I Love You, Man B+
4. Adventureland B+
5. Watchmen B
6. Monsters vs. Aliens B-
7. X-Men Origins: Wolverine C-
8. Push C-

Updated for Wolverine

Wonder Woman: A
I loved it. This convinces me that a live action Wonder Woman movie can work well. Steve Trevor was awesome. I seriously can't think of anything I didn't like about it.

Watchmen: B
I may be being too generous but I thought it was fairly good. After thinking about it there are quite a few things that Snyder should have done differently (Oxymandias, some of the ending stuff, the fighting sequences, big blue penis, Hallelujah...) but more or less I think he got it right. I can't wait for the extended edition.

Taken: C+
This was alright. Toward the beginning it sets itself up to be a smart thriller, but eventually it just devolves into brainless action. It felt like a second-rate Bourne film.

Defiance: C-
I thought this was kinda boring. It wasn't nearly as "actiony" as I thought it was going to be. But then again that may be my fault. Certainly worth checking on DVD, but I don't think it was worth the $8 I paid to see it in a theater.

Wolverine: D
While I didn't go in expecting a great movie like Iron Man or TDK, I thought it might be fun. Sadly, with the exception of Deadpool, this movie was pretty boring. I didn't see anything that I hadn't seen in previous movies.

Movies I want to see:
Star Trek:The movie I'm looking forward to the most this summer. Looks like a lot of fun, and according to gossip it's quite good.
Terminator Salvation:I haven't seen anything to make me think this will be bad. I really couldn't care less if Batman *****ed out some "director of photography." He's Batman god dammit!!
Land of the Lost:This could be good. I'm not going in with huge expectations so it should at least be good for some laughs.
The Hangover:Mike Tyson + "In the Air Tonight" = awesome.
Transformers 2:I'm really not that excited for this movie at this present time, but I'm sure I will end up seeing it. I have a feeling it's going to be a bit of a let down though.
Public Enemies:Johnny Depp + Christian Bale + Michael Mann...how can you say no?
Bruno:I don't think this is going to be as funny as Borat but it looks funny enough to waste $8 on.
500 Days of Summer:...don't judge me.
Harry Potter 51:I've seen the last fifty so I might as well see this one.
Funny People:I'm not a huge Adam Sandler or Seth Rogen fan, but it has Eric Bana so I guess I have to see it.
GI Joe:I have a feeling I'm going to hate myself for seeing this half an hour into the movie, but I'm going to do it anyway dammit.
Inglorious Basterds:Why not? I hate Nazi's as much as the next guy.
Jennifer's Body:I am only going to see this because it has Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried, both of whom I find sexy.
The Wolfman:Benicio del Toro was born to play a werewolf.
Avatar:Apparently the CGI is revolutionary. This, in addition to the fact that there aren't a lot of movies that I want to see this December, pretty much means I'll be there opening night.
Sherlock Holmes:I don't know how well this is going to do at the box office but I'm curious. If Downey brings the charm I'll be there.
Trick r' Treat:This was going to come out like two years ago, but for some reason WB still hasn't gotten around to it. Hopefully this will be the year.

Watchmen - 7/10
I'm not sure how to rate this. It's good but not great. Enjoyable. A worthy adaptation. Probably the closest we'll come to a perfect film version of Watchmen. But there are still flaws... flaws that would always be there because it was a comic, not a film. But yeah... it's good enough for me. 8 might be too high but 6 might be too low, so I think 7 is right for me. I doubt I will ever see this again as I'd rather read the graphic novel instead.

Predictable story but great animation and a brilliant voice cast. Really enjoyable and a lot of fun.

A lot of potential that is completely wasted. A movie that is sometimes about Wolverine but mainly all over the place.

Star Trek - 9/10
I loved it. I don't have anything else to say.

Updated for Star Trek

Star Trek: A+
I can't think of anything I didn't like about this movie. I thought it was by far the most enjoyable movie I've seen this year and probably last year too (I liked it more than The Dark Knight, which although it was a great movie didn't really seem to know when to stop). Loved it.

I loved it. This convinces me that a live action Wonder Woman movie can work well. Steve Trevor was awesome. I seriously can't think of anything I didn't like about it.

Watchmen: B
I may be being too generous but I thought it was fairly good. After thinking about it there are quite a few things that Snyder should have done differently (Ozymandias, some of the ending stuff, the fighting sequences, big blue penis, Hallelujah...) but more or less I think he got it right. I can't wait for the extended edition.

Taken: C+
This was alright. Toward the beginning it sets itself up to be a smart thriller, but eventually it just devolves into brainless action. It felt like a second-rate Bourne film.

Defiance: C-
I thought this was kinda boring. It wasn't nearly as "actiony" as I thought it was going to be. But then again that may be my fault. Certainly worth checking on DVD, but I don't think it was worth the $8 I paid to see it in a theater.

Wolverine: D
While I didn't go in expecting a great movie like Iron Man or TDK, I thought it might be fun. Sadly, with the exception of Deadpool, this movie was pretty boring. I didn't see anything that I hadn't seen in previous movies.

Movies I want to see:
Terminator Salvation:I haven't seen anything to make me think this will be bad. I really couldn't care less if Batman *****ed out some "director of photography." He's Batman god dammit!!
Land of the Lost:This could be good. I'm not going in with huge expectations so it should at least be good for some laughs.
The Hangover:Mike Tyson + "In the Air Tonight" = awesome.
Transformers 2:I'm really not that excited for this movie at this present time, but I'm sure I will end up seeing it. I have a feeling it's going to be a bit of a let down though.
Public Enemies:Johnny Depp + Christian Bale + Michael Mann...how can you say no?
Bruno:I don't think this is going to be as funny as Borat but it looks funny enough to waste $8 on.
500 Days of Summer:...don't judge me.
Harry Potter 51:I've seen the last fifty so I might as well see this one.
Funny People:I'm not a huge Adam Sandler or Seth Rogen fan, but it has Eric Bana so I guess I have to see it.
GI Joe:I have a feeling I'm going to hate myself for seeing this half an hour into the movie, but I'm going to do it anyway dammit.
Inglorious Basterds:Why not? I hate Nazi's as much as the next guy.
Jennifer's Body:I am only going to see this because it has Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried, both of whom I find sexy.
The Wolfman:Benicio del Toro was born to play a werewolf.
Avatar:Apparently the CGI is revolutionary. This, in addition to the fact that there aren't a lot of movies that I want to see this December, pretty much means I'll be there opening night.
Sherlock Holmes:I don't know how well this is going to do at the box office but I'm curious. If Downey brings the charm I'll be there.
Trick r' Treat:This was going to come out like two years ago, but for some reason WB still hasn't gotten around to it. Hopefully this will be the year.

Last edited:
Updated for Star Trek

1. Coraline A
2. Observe and Report A-
3. Star Trek A-
4. I Love You, Man B+
5. Adventureland B+
6. Watchmen B
7. Monsters vs. Aliens B-
8. X-Men Origins: Wolverine C-
9. Push C-

Observe and Report: A - This movie was awesome. Not a whole lot of complaints. Asp baton showdown was great. I wish there was more of that.

Watchmen: B+ - This was pretty much as good as we're getting without it being a mini series and it was damn good in that sense. The beginning collage was good but I still don't think it would have hurt to have a few 2 minute flashbacks on the former heroes here and there. No hollis? And the face make-up left much to be desired

I Love You, Man: B+ - This was a funny *** movie. Not much to complain. You can't go wrong with The Lou. I wish there were more funny cutscenes.

Adventureland: C- - I went in thinking this movie was going to be right out hilarious. Then it kinda got half serious. The main characters is annoying and pretentious. Bill Hader was the best part of this movie.

Monsters vs. Aliens: B - For a kids movie that I snuck in along with me and hibs being the only two people in the room, this was a pretty good flick. Not their best but enjoyable enough.

Fanboys: A+ - Probably the best homage to Star Wars I've seen. Filled with tons of cameos and freakin Kevin Smith. This movie was great.

Watchmen - 5/10
Wonder Woman - 9/10
The Soloist - 7/10

Star Trek - 10/10
This is the best film I have seen all year. Maybe in years. I got chills when Kirk and McCoy see the Enterprise for the first time. I mean....if I had to pick anything wrong with it....I think they could have given Nero a bit more screentime. And when Kirk landed on the ice planet I thought the friggin' wampa was going to show up. Also, hopefully they'll make a sequel that will expand on the other crew members....Scotty, Chekov, Sulu....And I agree with DARKKNIGHT, I liked this better than The Dark Knight. Kirk was badass, and I was excited to see how Sulu turned out (him being sort of a role model for Asian-Americans similar to how Uhura was a role model for African-American women....and Star Trek came out around the time when most East Asian characters were still associated with the "Yellow Peril"). I loved it when "Sabotage" came on when kid Kirk was doing the chase scene. This movie was funny and exciting, a fresh take on Star Trek....And funny how Shatner was in Fanboys and not this.

Last edited:
Star Trek: A++
Shows me why JJ Abrahms is the man and why I want to make movies some day. This was exactly what a Star Trek movie should have been for a new generation. It was hilarious, beautiful and epic all in the same breath and possibly gathered together the best grouping of future talent in Hollywood that we'll see in a while. Pine, Quinto, Urban, Yelchin, Cho, Saldana, Pegg all were great and Bana was fantastic as Nero. Pine as Hal Jordan!

So far it's the best animated film that DC has put out, though I do love New Frontier and enjoyed Doomsday. Great actors selected for it and essentally a perfect adaptation of the Wonder Woman mythology. And Fillion's in it so I'm obliged to enjoy it.

Watchmen: B+
The most hyped film of the year and a near perfect adaptation of the greatest graphic novel. Near perfect renderings of Doc Manhattan, Rorsach and Comedian with likeable portrayals of Night Owl and Silk Spectre. The only thing keeping it out of A range is the awful portrayal of Ozymandias. Great flick though.

Wolverine: C+
Oh so much potential for greatness. A feel as if the first half of this film was near perfect for a Wolverine move. Hugh Jackman stole the show again and Liev Shriber played a wicked Sabretooth. I found the rest of Team X great until they jumped forward in years, turned Blob into a characature, introduced the dreaded Gambit and obliterated Deadpool. Great start dissapointing finish. I'd put it as the third best X-Men film going X2, X-Men, Wolverine and then Last Stand.

Dragonball: F-
I went to this movie wasted. I don't know if I threw up because of the movie or the Captain. Well so long to your career Chow Yun Fat.

Watchmen - 7/10

Star Trek - 9/10
I loved it. I don't have anything else to say.

Angels & Demons - 6/10
A decent movie with a pretty good cast that seem to be wasted. It's entertaining and an average thriller and worth seeing but I doubt I'll ever bother seeing it again. Tom Hanks deserves to be in better movies than this.

1. Coraline - 9/10 - The first movie I've ever seen to use 3D to enhance the experience rather than for cheap thrills. A Brilliant movie. By far Sellick's best work, and that includes Nightmare Before Christmas.

2. In The Loop - 8/10 - Very well executed critique of British and American actions before the start of an unnamed war (which can very much be assumed to be Iraq). Absolutely hilarious, there are laugh out loud moments throughout.

3. Star Trek - 8/10 - Pure, Unadulterated Fun... A little less overwhelmingly awesome on the second go, and there are certainly problems, but this was a great reintroduction to the universe of Star Trek

4. State of Play - 8/10 - Great Acting. Great Story... This makes me want to be an investigative reporter as much as it makes me want to watch the original BBC miniseries.

5. 17 Again - 7.5/10 - This film had no right being as good, as funny, or as heartwarming as it ended up being.

6. Last Chance Harvey - 7.5/10 - This film wouldn't be anything without Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman, but with them it becomes a rather touching romantic comedy that never gets too sappy.

7. Monsters vs. Aliens - 7/10 - By no means a great movie, but a lot of fun, and a surprising amount of heart. Enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

8. Watchmen - 6.5/10 - In the end I liked it more then I didn't like it. It got a lot right, more than certainly I ever expected. But at the end of the day it just wasn't capable of packing the punch of the original.

9. I Love You, Man - 6/10 - Disappointingly mediocre. Has some good moments, and I still love the concept, but it just didn't follow through at all.

10. X-Men: Origins - Wolverine - 5.5/10 - Everything they needed for a halfway decent film was in there, but they just didn't follow through.

11. Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel - 5/10 - Mediocre Sci-Fi comedy shlock that has some good moments and some good ideas, but in the end just leaves you with a wholly mediocre film.

Films I want to see:

Adventureland - Maybe
The Brothers Bloom - This looks amazing
Terminator Salvation - Hell yes I am seeing this movie.
Up - Pixar. Nuff Said.
Whatever Works - Woody Allen is back in NYC and this time with Larry David. Let's see what happens.
Year One - Looks pretty funny. Hoping I might get to go to the Premeire.
Bruno - Why not?
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Looks like it could be the best yet.
Funny People - First time i've been excited for an Adam Sandler movie since middle school.
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - I choose this over Transformers for my mindless summer movie fun.
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea - Hayao Miyazaki + Tina Fey = **** yes.
Inglourious Basterds - How could I say no to Mr. Tarentino?
Whiteout - I love the comic, let's see if they do a decent job...
Where The Wild Things Are - I am more excited for this movie than anything else coming out this year.
Youth in Revolt - Maybe.
Fantastic Mr. Fox - Wes Andersen's First Foray into Animation. Should be interesting.
The Lovely Bones - Peter Jackson. Let's see what happens.
The Princess and the Frog - While I hope for greatness, if it sucks, I'll still see it just to support traditional animation.
Sherlock Holmes - Robert Downey Jr... Nuff Said.

Last edited:
11. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Another mediocre comic book movie with no real idea what it could be. It makes me sad.

10. State of Play
Decent movie starring Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck, and Rachael McAdams. I enjoyed, but it's one of those movies, that you seen once and than never again.

9. I Love You, Man
It was a pretty plain comedy. Not what I expect after seeing them in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

8. Watchmen
It was very brilliant in some parts and really really terrible at overall. The overall narrative seemed to suffer, especially for the ones not familiar with the source material. I was just happy to see Rorschach played so well.

7. Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
It's about as good as the others. They really should of started with this one from the get go.

6. Adventureland
I like the new sting of teen romantic comedies that seem more realistic with the awkwardness of dating. This one was average, but I enjoyed it. Kristen Stewart is nice looking.

5. Fired Up
It was actually really funny. References to the classic Bring It On, hell they even watched it in the movie. It was like Wedding Crashers meets Bring It On.

4. Crank 2: High Voltage
I don't even know where to begin. This was the most offensive, over the top, insane thing I ever seen. I loved every minute.

3. Angels & Demons
I may be in the minority, but I loved this movies. I love mysteries and religious based stories.

2. Coraline
Gaiman movies are 3 for 3 in my book. It was such a great corky little film. The voice acting and stop animation was perfect.

1. Star Trek
One of the best Summer blockbuster/Sci-Fi movies I ever seen. Great cast, action, and humor. I never cared for Star Trek at all and now it is cooler than Star Wars.

Star Trek A - Lots of fun. Lots of lots of fun. Even if it made some bad leaps. I didn't care. It was too much fun.

Adventureland B+ - I really saw a lot of myself in the characters in this movie. I might be rating it higher because of this.

I Love You Man B -Very funny stuff. After this and Forgetting Sarah Marshell Jason Siegel is coming up on my list of actors to watch for.

Taken B - This Shortpacked about summs it up.

Coraline B- - I saw this in 2D, so its possible that hindered it. I felt the animation was a bit choppy in a few parts, mainly the begining. Still, it was creepy as hell. And well done.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine B- Yeah, theres lots of crap going on, but Sabertooth was fun and i enjoyed it. It was leagues better than X3. And Emma Frosts headlights were on the whole time.

Friday The Thirteenth B- - Well, take everything that was good in the old Jason movies and give it a budget over 2 mil and you get a highly enjoyable Slasher flick. I liked it.

I'm still not sure where to score Watchmen.

Made a few minor changes.

1. Coraline A
2. Star Trek A-
3. Observe and Report A-
4. I Love You, Man B+
5. Adventureland B
6. Watchmen B-
9. Push C-

NOTE: My 2008 Movie List will continue, as a Note on my Facebook Profile. Sometime in June, I will be adding comments/critiques on all of them, as well as the ones here in the '09 thread. (Thanks for the suggestion, DSF.)

Made a few minor changes.

1. Coraline A
2. Star Trek A-
3. Observe and Report A-
4. I Love You, Man B+
5. Adventureland B
6. Watchmen B-
9. Push C-

NOTE: My 2008 Movie List will continue, as a Note on my Facebook Profile. Sometime in June, I will be adding comments/critiques on all of them, as well as the ones here in the '09 thread. (Thanks for the suggestion, DSF.)

I was going to say the same thing. I should do the same with the notes as I still update my 07 & 08 lists.

Updated for Drag Me To Hell and Up

1. Up A
2. Coraline A
3. Star Trek A-
4. Observe and Report A-
5. Drag Me To Hell B+
6. I Love You, Man B+
7. Adventureland B
8. Watchmen B-
9. Monsters vs. Aliens B-
10. X-Men Origins: Wolverine C-
11. Push C-