Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. discussion (spoilers)

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. news & discussions (spoilers)

I saw that. What I meant is that I want to know what exactly this one turns out to be.

Ah, I see. Well I looked up #84 of a bunch of classic marvel comics and nothing jumped out at me.

I liked it a lot. It has a ton of potential.

Yeah, I wasn't really impressed. I actually turned it because I was bored.

You guys are crazy. This was great! Set up nice connections with the movies without being to reliant on them, set up some interesting questions for most of the major characters that'll be answered over the course of the show (what up with Coulson? What happened in Agent May's past? What's Skye's story? Etc). Also continued Whedon's habit of creating interesting and likable characters (Fitz and Simmons were great). And it balanced th independent storyline with established continuity from the films in a great way: you knew what was going on without having see the films, but some lines/references paid off more if you had.

Sometimes I think people build up to much expectation for things, perhaps to an unrealistic degree. It was much what I was expecting and a bit more with the film references (since I'm a huge continuity geek). I enjoyed it, and will certainly be tuning in each week.

I'm actually seeing that a lot of people seem to have had problems with it, and I wonder how much of that has to do with the extremely high expectations most people had. I've also heard many people say the cast was either unlikable or uninteresting, both of which I disagree with. I thought it was smart to give us subtle hints of the characters back stories in order to explain them further as the story goes on. I also thought that despite the stereotypes (hacker girl, techies, action guy) the characters themselves were plenty likeable. It even managed to serve up a story that effectively set up what I assume will be the season long arc with the Rising Tide. All in all I thought it was a very strong hour of tv, much better than 90% of what is on these days. It's not going to be the next Breaking Bad, but that isn't a bad thing.

People also need to realize that the even though people like us are the target audience that the producers are trying to reel in the average viewer. I thought they did a fine job of setting it up as weekly fantasy/crime drama and also staying true to the Marvel Universe. There is a lot of potential as to having a continuing story line but also a week by week episode as well. Kind of like The X Files.

Oh my you guys. THis was so....average.

Yeah, I wasn't really impressed. I actually turned it because I was bored.

What didn't you like about it?

Honestly, it wasn't the greatest pilot I've ever seen. It wasn't in the vicinity of LOST or Alias, etc, but it was fun. I'll admit, I thought some of the snappy patter was over the top. And the scene at the end when everyone is smiling in slow motion after Ward shoots Mike with Fitz/Simmons stun gun was sort of cheesy.

I feel like in order to tell a story in a serial format (comics, tv shows, and movie series) there needs to be some groundwork laid before the story teller can really tell the story they want to. In this pilot they put together the team, briefly introduced us to each character and teased a few character threads that they're going to explore in the future, established the connections between the show and the larger established universe, and gave us a conflict that set up the arc for the season. They accomplished a lot and kept me excited to see where it's going to go from here.

Last edited:

Is this the least interesting, most generic, boring cast ever assembled for a TV show?

Really the problem with this pilot is it felt like a filler episode, a pilot should do more to set up the main conflict in the series, instead we get a generic story where a really nice guy, gets super powers illegally and goes crazy, that seems like the plot for a fourth episode, not the first.

I think this episode should have done more set up the main conflict between SHIELD and who ever their main enemy is, they should have done more to set up an ongoing main plot, rather then starting out with a rather forgettable story and the dialogue was pretty bad in places.

Nah. I think their main objective was to get people on board. If they started to deep with enemies and mysteries then it would turn off a lot of the outsiders. I read an article about people who weren't plugged into the Marvel Universe getting lost. This show wants to bring as many people as they can and then get them on board to stay. That's what TV is all about. All of you who were "ehh" with the pilot watch the next episode at least. Most new shows take off with the 2nd or 3rd episode. This was the sales pitch episode. Trying to have something for everyone without getting to deep

Nah. I think their main objective was to get people on board. If they started to deep with enemies and mysteries then it would turn off a lot of the outsiders. I read an article about people who weren't plugged into the Marvel Universe getting lost. This show wants to bring as many people as they can and then get them on board to stay. That's what TV is all about. All of you who were "ehh" with the pilot watch the next episode at least. Most new shows take off with the 2nd or 3rd episode. This was the sales pitch episode. Trying to have something for everyone without getting to deep

I have seen a lot of TV shows on cable where the pilot was able to set up an interesting main story in the pilot, while still leaving more to explore in future episodes, this felt like a filler episode, where they were dealing with a monster of the week, certainly not very exciting. I think they should have brought more of their A-game to this pilot and left this filler episode for a later date. Maybe I have just being spoiled by cable, I do expect more from a pilot nowadays.

I think they should have brought more of their A-game to this pilot and left this filler episode for a later date. Maybe I have just being spoiled by cable, I do expect more from a pilot nowadays.
Or spoiled by you momma! HA! Just kidding.

Or spoiled by you momma! HA! Just kidding.

Overlord just got drvshft'd! #YouAllEverybody #Boom

Haha. You guys are awesome.

So after watching it for a second time I can somewhat agree with the complaints, but I still enjoy the episode.

Mostly because of Simmons.

She's adorable. I could watch 60 minutes of her doing anything.

Last edited:

Watched this last night. It was really good setup, but that's about it. I knew before watching the show that Agent Fitz and Agent Simmons would bug the crap out of me and I was correct. Skye is the sexy one, Melinda May is the badass, Coulson is the heart and humanity, and Agent Ward is the viewer's P.O.V.. The part that REALLY bugged me was that some of the dialogue was way too Joss Whedon and it always took e out of the scene and made me cringe. It's pretty standard, but, as I said before, it was really good setup (which is what a pilot should be). I'm on board.

Is this the least interesting, most generic, boring cast ever assembled for a TV show?

That would be Arrow.

Latest posts

Back