All About Movies Thread: 8 Tweets & a Funeral.

Original comedies aren't dead. Unoriginal ones are simply still alive.

I know, that was just me talking in frustration. It's more of a personal thing, I've just not found anything as consistently funny as stuff like Blazing Saddles, Caddyshack, Hangover, etc. It's like almost everything is rehashing the same jokes (American Pie) or just patently not funny, but somehow convincing people it is (Napoleon Dynamite).

So, some movies I've recently seen

Wasabi - Almost Professional-like starring Jean Reno. It's more of a light-hearted flick but thoroughly enjoyable and in French with English subtitles.

Mr. Baseball - I was huge on baseball as a kid and with this year's exception, still attend at least one Rangers/Yankees faceoff every year. Tom Selleck stars in this flick about a semi-washed up star traded from the Yankees to the a Japanese pro team called the Dragons. It also stars the All-State guy who was in 24.

Clerks - It was way better than I remember it being.

Armour of Gods - Also known as Operation Condor 2: Armour of Gods. The first OIperation Condor is actually Armour of Gods 2. Frikkin' America. One of Jackie Chans' best films, he was almost killed doing a basic (for jackie) jump from a ledge to a tree.

Seven Samurai - Finally got through a majority of it but I still wasn't able to give it my full attention. Still a great movie, but I can see how people find it hard to sit through.

La Bamba - :( That is all. and LDP is a great actor.

The Thing - I can't believe I never saw this movie when I was a kid. I don't know how I missed it but this movie was hella fun to watch.

Zombieland - meh, I like Woody Harrelson.

Raging Bull - For a DeNiro/Scorsese film, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. It's still a really sad story and the boxing bits were great, I just wish there weren't any huge time lapses.

Blade Runner - After seeing it, I've been told to watch the complete director's cut to get the actual movie experience. I enjoyed it, regardless.

Seven Samurai might be the greatest film ever made.

As long as the Blade Runner you saw wasn't the crazy original with the Harrison Ford narration and the driving-through-the-green-countryside ending you should be fine. The "Final Cut" has a bunch of little errors fixed and a few extended moments but it only came out a few years ago. The "Director's Cut" was the only version most people had seen until then and it was still considered a classic masterpiece. It's still the only one I've seen and it's in my top 20 or 30 films. But yeah, if you somehow saw the "Theatrical Cut" with the Ford-narration then you do need to see later cuts; they make it a whole different film.

As long as the Blade Runner you saw wasn't the crazy original with the Harrison Ford narration and the driving-through-the-green-countryside ending you should be fine. The "Final Cut" has a bunch of little errors fixed and a few extended moments but it only came out a few years ago. The "Director's Cut" was the only version most people had seen until then and it was still considered a classic masterpiece. It's still the only one I've seen and it's in my top 20 or 30 films. But yeah, if you somehow saw the "Theatrical Cut" with the Ford-narration then you do need to see later cuts; they make it a whole different film.

Yeah, I saw the narrated one. It seemed almost noir and some scenes didn't match up. I need to check if Netflix has the director's cut.

Last edited:

Exactly what he said.

Yeah, I saw the narrated one. It seemed almost noir and some scenes didn't match up. I need to check if Netflix has the director's cut.

I'd go with the Final Cut, as good as the Director's Cut is, the Final just has a few extra tweaks that are worth seeing. And it's the best the film has ever looked.

I thought Raging Bull was great...

Plus I was watching A Bug's Life again the other week and had heard that it was based on Seven Samurai. I feel if I see Samurai I will be watching it through a very odd lense. :)

Seven Samurai might be the greatest film ever made.

Yeah, I watched BUG'S LIFE the other day too because it was on ABC Family.

I *want* to see SEVEN SAMURAI but because it expires from Instant Netflix in a couple of days - due to the Criterion titles starting to go off Instant Netflix - I don't know if I'll have the time for it.

Latest posts

Back