All Star Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder series discussion (spoilers)

Bass said:
Tell you what, remind me when Gotham Central comes out and I'll give it a shot.
An issue came out week before last that started a new storyline called Dead Robin. They're investigating the corpse of a boy found in an alley in a fully decked out Robin suit, with all the bells and whistles. So far its really playing up on how little the world at large knows about batman and how he works. it's co-written by Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka too. Rucka man!

Bass said:
What # number is it? I'll give it a shot.

30-sumthin.It has a dead robin on the cover?

Nur said:
Well i picked it up (my first DC comic. I am no longer a DC virgin ) and it was pretty good. Jim Lee is great at drawing chicks. Oooooo Vikki Vale rawr....

Yeah one thing i dont like is the paper! I want glossy paper!

Me likey tho

.........that i wasn't expecting!

Okay, I'll try to pick it up on Thursday. I warn you, I may forget. I'm picking up a present I've reserved for a friend at my comics shop on Thursday. It's been held for three months now, and his birthday is Saturday. I may forget to pick it up too.

Ultimates 2 #7 is out on Thursday. I find it hard to believe I'll remember to do anything, other than experience it.

We're going to start consolidating non-Ultimate series discussion into single threads for each series. I've changed the title of this thread accordingly.

Got ASB&RTBW #2 today...hot diggity dog, this is one of the best books on the stands right now. All-Star Batman is seriously screwed up...he's darker than any Batman I've ever read save DKR Batman. I'm loving this book.

UltimateE said:
We're going to start consolidating non-Ultimate series discussion into single threads for each series. I've changed the title of this thread accordingly.

Got ASB&RTBW #2 today...hot diggity dog, this is one of the best books on the stands right now. All-Star Batman is seriously screwed up...he's darker than any Batman I've ever read save DKR Batman. I'm loving this book.

YES! Does that mean I get a Daredevil thread stickied? How about a forum... {insert Angel smiley here}

Anyway, I've been hearing over the net that this issue today was terrible. When I start making money.... in 20 years. I really do want to get this. Is it DC's answer to Ultimate or what? Are we talkin' Origin stories?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Anyway, I've been hearing over the net that this issue today was terrible.

Really? I thought it was awesome. Hopefully Bass sees this and posts. I don't know what about it would make anyone call it terrible.

I hated it. I hate this issue because the pacing is off, its a mishmash of things that Miller has done successfully in other works and its narrative voice is a bit difficult to follow. Miller also tries to apply the conventions of noir to the conventions of superheroes, and while that has worked several times in the history of comics (whether Miller wrote them or not), he seems to have failed here.

I hate it.

But I'll be fair though, I think things might pick up by the second or third issue, and that this issue will actually look better after I've managed to pick up the rest of the parts.

Which makes me realize that maybe Miller works better when not constrained by the 22-page chapter format of monthly comics. The fact that he has mentioned that this format is restraining might explain why he's not writing in it as well as he once did.

Also, I'm usually the kind of guy who defends the snobbish people who think Jim Lee is an overrated hack, but I'm sad to say that I think his art just looks so bland and stiff here.

I thought the art was good...the coloring, though, is spectacular.

I, too, hated issue 2. One wasn't bad, but I loathed issue 2. To me, Batman felt more like a thug than Batman. I mean, I like Miller, but. . .this feels too much like Sin City and not like Batman at all (Sin City's a great series. But, I'd read Sin City if I wanted Sin City). I also hated everybody repeating the same thing OVER AND OVER. Vicki Vale must have said brutally twenty five different ways. Same with "Dick Greyson, Age twelve". It got old.

I'll stay on until the end of the arc. If it still fails to impress me, I'm gone. I HOPE Morrison's Superman is better.

UltimateE said:
I thought the art was good...the coloring, though, is spectacular.
The production values are stellar, I'll grant you that. But I felt they were so snazzy that they were distracting. Less is more. Even The Ultimates doesn't look that slickly polished.
Lynx said:
I, too, hated issue 2. One wasn't bad, but I loathed issue 2. To me, Batman felt more like a thug than Batman. I mean, I like Miller, but. . .this feels too much like Sin City and not like Batman at all (Sin City's a great series. But, I'd read Sin City if I wanted Sin City). I also hated everybody repeating the same thing OVER AND OVER. Vicki Vale must have said brutally twenty five different ways. Same with "Dick Greyson, Age twelve". It got old.
Well, I don't know anything about the second issue, but in fairness I've never really thought that Batman acting like a thug is necessarily a contradictory version of the character. The thuggish Batman to me is just one variation of many on the character, just like the "The Great Detective" and the "James Bond"-like Batman.

"Who am I? What, are you retarded? I'm the god damned Batman!"

I'm done with this. It's crap. Pure crap. The arts pretty, but I'll get more than enough Jim Lee when he and Morrison relaunch WildC.A.T.S. next year. Dropped.

Honestly what did you guys expect from Frank Miller?

I read the issue today thanks to Lynx, and the thing is, I liked it. True at first I hated that they were going to restart the stories in all star, but I do know this, it seems good to me. Batman being a jerk and all that well he was just trying to make sure that for the moment, Robin didn't feel any grief, like he did when he was a kid. So to me, Batman was acting tough for the reason just to make sure Robin doesn't break down, and so he can be strong. Because frankly, the old way of explaining a kid being Robin kinda was, eh, and this is just new. He's just trying to get him Ready for the War. That's pretty much it. As for the Batmobile flying, please, how many cars does Batman have, just cause one of them flys doesn't mean it sucks. As for the cops thing, I'm sure it will tie into Batman's past as for the cops of Gotham city doing nothing about his parents murder, but Jim Gordan probably did. They haven't even introduced him yet so we will see what happens with him. All I have to say is, go back and re read the issue, and you will see how Batman is just being tough on the kid to prepare him for the war. Yeah he does seem like something out of Sin City, but still, I actually think a tougher Batman, a new type of Batman is pretty cool. So for me, I liked this issue, and I am a pure Batman Fan, I've been like that for 15 years now.

Last edited:
ultimatesentry said:
I read the issue today thanks to Lynx, and the thing is, I liked it. True at first I hated that they were going to restart the stories in all star, but I do know this, it seems good to me. Batman being a jerk and all that well he was just trying to make sure that for the moment, Robin didn't feel any grief, like he did when he was a kid. So to me, Batman was acting tough for the reason just to make sure Robin doesn't break down, and so he can be strong.
Yes. That does make sense. Unfortunately, it's already been done so often by different writers of varying skill, that I really don't see this as being new ground or a new spin on how Robin was taken under his wing.

ultimatesentry said:
Yeah he does seem like something out of Sin City, but still, I actually think a tougher Batman, a new type of Batman is pretty cool. So for me, I liked this issue, and I am a pure Batman Fan, I've been like that for 15 years now.
This 'tougher' Batman isn't particularly new. I hardly think this is a novel direction for the character, not saying it's a bad one though.

And besides, I don't think ASBaRtBW being Sin City-esque just cause the characters are tougher and meaner, that dames are to die for. It's Sin City because it relies on the same hamfisted narrative style that worked when it came out of the lips of characters like Marv, but doesn't when its being carried by Bruce or Vicki.

I thought it was good, except the flying batmobile. Seriously, wtf?!

Art, as usual, top notch. You can see Bats' intentions, dodgy and all as they are-didn't do much to advance the plot though. And where'd the stubble come from?

Money on Nur hating it, but i liked it.

4/5

Yeah, he specifically mentioned roughing him up to not let him feel grief. I wouldn't assume that it means he will always act like that. But even if he does, I don't have a problem with it.

And yeah, Nur will hate it. :D

ourchair said:
The production values are stellar, I'll grant you that. But I felt they were so snazzy that they were distracting. Less is more. Even The Ultimates doesn't look that slickly polished.Well, I don't know anything about the second issue, but in fairness I've never really thought that Batman acting like a thug is necessarily a contradictory version of the character. The thuggish Batman to me is just one variation of many on the character, just like the "The Great Detective" and the "James Bond"-like Batman.

It wasn't so much him acting like a thig than him BEING a thug. Batman didn't come off as intelligent at all.

Baxter said:
"Who am I? What, are you retarded? I'm the god damned Batman!"

I'm done with this. It's crap. Pure crap. The arts pretty, but I'll get more than enough Jim Lee when he and Morrison relaunch WildC.A.T.S. next year. Dropped.

That's a perfect example of the quality of the book right now.

Latest posts

Back