All Star Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder series discussion (spoilers)

Lynx said:
It wasn't so much him acting like a thig than him BEING a thug. Batman didn't come off as intelligent at all.
That's where you've got me. I have nothing to say cause I haven't picked up the second issue yet.

So, UltimateE, Johnny Bravo, and ultimatesentry liked it.
Lynx and Baxter hated it.
And ourchair is in the same boat as me and hasn't read it.
3:2 for it right now, so I guess I'll get it this weekend. :D

It's freacking awesome, the only problem is the 22 pages... its not that much pages...its hard to do what he wants with so few pages...
But its awesome, i just loved the way they think, its not meant for you to understand but for you to get misguided like they are. Batman talking and laughing like a crazy dude? Brilliant! The only way he could get some attention from Dick that was still in shock...I can't understand why so many ppl didn't like it...

I think the dialogue in #2 is absolutely abominable. I dropped Bendis because he stutters, and I'm tempted to drop Miller because of this ****ing repetition. Seriously, #2 would've been half the size if he'd said everything once.

That said, Batman acts absolutely WEIRD in this issue - and then I stopped being a fanboy and went, "This is All-Star Batman and not Bass Batman." This Batman is no less legit for his differences than Tim Burton Batman, Adam West Batman, Dini/ Timm Batman, Christopher Nolan Batman, Azzarello/ Risso Batman, Denny O'Neil Batman, Dark Knight Batman, Infinite Crisis Batman, Grant Morrison Batman... etc. Different take. When you accept that, you begin to accept the series more and I actually started to 'get into it' and began to like the plot and characters.

But the dialogue and the narration are absolutely awful. I'm sorry, but they're atrocious. I could barely read the bloody thing.

Bass said:
I think the dialogue in #2 is absolutely abominable. I dropped Bendis because he stutters, and I'm tempted to drop Miller because of this ****ing repetition. Seriously, #2 would've been half the size if he'd said everything once.

That said, Batman acts absolutely WEIRD in this issue - and then I stopped being a fanboy and went, "This is All-Star Batman and not Bass Batman." This Batman is no less legit for his differences than Tim Burton Batman, Adam West Batman, Dini/ Timm Batman, Christopher Nolan Batman, Azzarello/ Risso Batman, Denny O'Neil Batman, Dark Knight Batman, Infinite Crisis Batman, Grant Morrison Batman... etc. Different take. When you accept that, you begin to accept the series more and I actually started to 'get into it' and began to like the plot and characters.

But the dialogue and the narration are absolutely awful. I'm sorry, but they're atrocious. I could barely read the bloody thing.

I don't know if it's just the hate i have for Bendis but i tought that the repetition was kinda understandable... The woman was in shock, Batman...okay he may have repeated himself a couple times but i dunno, Miller still is a long way for Bendis...Bendis' repetitions don't make sense, i mean they don't make any sense... you know? No sense at all... They are.... They are just tossed in issue man, Just tossed in the middle of the issue!

See? That's the difference

Bendis doesn't just stutte dialogue, his pacing and story structure is also stuttered.

Miller's words in #2 were just bad. I agreed, at first, she was in shock, and I accepted it, but it went past all my widest efforts to let it slide and then characters who weren't in shock started doing it.

I'm for the story, and against the execution. Can't put in the "pro" or "anti" camps just yet, I'm afraid.

OK, read it tonight and I liked it, Bass was right though, everyone was repeating themselves. I think this would read better as a complete story, which brings me to a question. I'm new to DC, well fairly new, with this and was just wondering how they did compilations, if they did them at all.

5:2 for buying it with Bass being neutral.

THe repitition didnt bother me at all, and the art was fantastic! I love this artist.
This issue is like sin city though, the way Batman thinks. Nothing wrong with it, but its just not Batman. Its All Star Batman!

The thing that bothered me in this issue was NOTHING HAPPENED! They were driving in a car and Batman spent the time trying to scare Robin. THE WHOLE ISSUE THEY WERE DRIVING IN A CAR THINKING! Da FUG!

Nurhachi said:
The thing that bothered me in this issue was NOTHING HAPPENED! They were driving in a car and Batman spent the time trying to scare Robin. THE WHOLE ISSUE THEY WERE DRIVING IN A CAR THINKING! Da FUG!
That is why I figured that if you read it all at once (like in a TPB), it wouldn't be as bad to have 22 pages of basically 1 scene.
So Nur, what do you think, buy or skip?

Pandrio said:
That is why I figured that if you read it all at once (like in a TPB), it wouldn't be as bad to have 22 pages of basically 1 scene.
So Nur, what do you think, buy or skip?

well Johnny Bravo and i have a deal so i gotta at least get the next issue and i'll see after that. Im very anti DC but Batmans not too bad

Asb #3

Well, Black Canary, Superman, and the already flying batmobile turning into a submarine. I liked it, but I also liked the first two to an extent. EDIT: On a second read through, I have to wonder how long the scene with Batman and Robin in the Batmobile has gone on. 15 hours before, Dick Grayson is already on a milk carton and in the newspaper.:?

Last edited:
Re: Asb #3

Pandrio said:
Well, Black Canary, Superman, and the already flying batmobile turning into a submarine. I liked it, but I also liked the first two to an extent. EDIT: On a second read through, I have to wonder how long the scene with Batman and Robin in the Batmobile has gone on. 15 hours before, Dick Grayson is already on a milk carton and in the newspaper.:?

They must have had a good time... *remembers the Batman "nuts" scene*

Is the Superman from ***?

Re: Asb #3

ProjectX2 said:
They must have had a good time... *remembers the Batman "nuts" scene*

Is the Superman from ***?
:lol:. I'm not sure, I don't think it fits, but it was more of a cameo/cliffhanger, so who knows?

Im liking where this is going, if they'd only DEVELOP the characters...

Bruce had his eyes on Dick Grayson to train as a sidekick... Something tells me he might have mentioned that to Superman, who wasn't a big fan of him endangering the life of a minor... Bats says, "Oh, don't worry! I'm not going to abduct him until he's at LEAST 15", and Superman is like "well at least I have three years or so to change your mind..." Then he abducts the 12 year old boy to train him as his Ward. And he's inspiring more dark vigilante-type characters...

All that = Angry Superman

Keep in mind that Superman is as intstrumental to the evolution of Dick Grayson as a character as Bruce... Dick chose a Kryptonian name when he became Nightwing because he was the culmination of Bruce's darkness and Clark's nobility.

I hope Superman appearing to take Dick away from Bruce leads to a big argument at which point Dick shows them who's boss by telling them that he should be the one to decide...

Batman wants to intimidate Dick, but is failing entirely... I hope they redeem Bruce soon. I want him to level with the kid, and drop the Facade (which he mentioned earlier)...

It still has the potential to be good, but most likely when read altogether... not monthly.

Black Canary wasn't at all good, I have to say... i hope she doesnt steal the spotlight from Dick too much...

Last edited:
It was much better than the last issues. Black Canary and Superman were the best parts. I lovd how Robin called the batmobile gay. Lee draws a damn good Canary. Did anybody else notice that one of the guys she beat up looked like Green Arrow.

B

Latest posts

Back