All Star Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder series discussion (spoilers)

Dr.Strangefate said:
He is not training Dick Grayson to be his subordinate, he is training him to be his equal, and he is trying to submit Dick to the training he underwent himself. He does not see any other way to be a hero... we can see that from his disrespect of Superman.

His bitterness of the world makes more sense than a bittersweet optimism. He lives in a city where the cops were about to take an eight year old boy into the woods to shoot him, just to make things easier for him. In a world like that he cannot hope that good deeds will change the world. He needs the beat the city into shape, carving out the bad and dumping it on the street. Frank Miller's Gotham City is a dark, scary place where Justice can only reign when a a man dresses up like a nocturnal beast and beats the **** out of cops.

According to DKR, Batman says in regards to whether heroes were criminals (back in the days when he was a younger man in his prime): "Of course we're criminals. We have to be criminals." This implies that his state of mind is nothing new! People don't say "Hey, batman's going crazy!" People say, "Criminals are showing up beaten to the brink of death, broken in ways we can't even imagine... Wait a second! That sounds like Batman!" If the way he fought crime was new and different, they would have made a point of that, but they made a point that Batman's brutal methods have always led to the corruption of the insane, and led good people to villainy. If the way he fought crime was new and different, people wouldn't believe that it was him, because he had been gone for so long, and brutal criminals were everywhere in the street. All-Star gives us the chance to see why he feels he must fight this way. His parents were victims to the ruthlessness of the city, and so was he. Bruce Wayne had to become the darkness to fight the darkness, and in a city as dark as Miller's Gotham, he has to become pretty damn dark.

I don't see the point of arguing this, I am pretty sure that Miller said very frankly (no pun intended) that this is meant to bridge Batman: Year One and Dark Knight... I'll try to find the article where he says that, but I am pretty damn sure he did.

However, having reread DKR and DKSB in the past week to write a paper on for school, I would happily prove my point over and over again.

Bravo!

Also, I hadn't heard that about using this to bridge Year One and DKR but it makes sense and is an interesting concept, and fits into what All-Star is supposed to be about.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Batman/AllStar/MillerBatmanRobin.html

That's the interview he gave a while back, he talks about how he's done the bookends to the Batman story, and now he's filling in everything in between.

Here's what I'm excited about:

FM: [laughs] Actually, I find the most terrifying character circling around Batman remains the Joker, and I can't keep may hands off of him. As I see it, there shouldn't be anything funny about him. His name should be irony.

NRAMA: What is it with the Joker and you? Is it similar to your attraction to Batman in that you can always find a new facet to him?

FM: The thing is, the Joker is a sociopath and psychopath, but I would rather play up his evilness rather than his craziness. The Joker that I've always tried to portray, and now I get a chance to do it when he's young – he's satanic. He's not laughing all the time.

In short... we ARE going to see the young version of the DKR Joker, who should definitely be among the top ten Comic Book supervillains ever...

Oh, God, he's so damn creepy!

ALSO:

Miller clarifies my point above by saying that this batman is still idealistic in the sense that he believes he can save the city... That doesn't change the fact that he's a brutal son of a *****...

Last edited:
Me either. If this is a radical departure from regular Batman I wouldn't know it. In fact, maybe that's why I don't buy any regular Batman titles. I like this crazy Batman.

In fact, I don't see much difference between this crazy Batman and Dark Knight Returns Batman. And everyone seems to like him well enough.

Everyone is a hypocrite except me and Doc.

I'm not. I never like DKR Batman either.

Thresurrection due to THIS.

Well, I think DC has screwed up this All Star line.

There's no way 5 is the last issue of the series. That just simply isn't true.

More likely just the last one they'll solicit until they get a bunch done.

Interesting.

I know people are saying in the thread that they called the number but I just can't believe they would drop a successful book like that with no warning or announcement.

So, I was scrolling through the thread because I haven't read AS Batman but wanted to get an opinion on it, and I read Doc's post.

Jesus, dude. Thanks. You totally sold me on the series AND you convinced me that Frank Miller's Batman is totally badass even though I used to hate him.

Damn. Now I'm excited.

I still think this book is unintentionally funny - it's like Miller's seeing how far DC will let him go.

Things that spring to mind are how Bruce starts growing a beard via the Batmobile trip, the "Are you dense? Are you retarded or something?!" speech, and the "Nuts? You want nuts? I'll give you nuts!" sexual innuendo.

I still think this series is worth reading if you want a nutty Batman, and a good laugh. :lol:

Yeah, and Dick Grayson showing up on a milk carton ten minutes after being kidnapped.

And doing a Black Canary issue that has nothing to do with anything.

I think this series is terrible, but I'll probably get issue 5 anyway just for. . . well, I don't really know at this point.

But I think I can afford the $2.99 a year.

So, I was scrolling through the thread because I haven't read AS Batman but wanted to get an opinion on it, and I read Doc's post.

Jesus, dude. Thanks. You totally sold me on the series AND you convinced me that Frank Miller's Batman is totally badass even though I used to hate him.

Damn. Now I'm excited.

:D I have POWERS

Issue #5

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

WTF did I just read? Seriously? Did anyone else read this?

Sperm-bank? I love you---I hate you? I'm the Goddamned Batman? HAHAHAHAHA! Plastic-Man?

I can't stop laughing.

Confused? You should be. This was an exact re-enactment of #5. For serious.

Last edited:
Issue #5

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

WTF did I just read? Seriously? Did anyone else read this?

Sperm-bank? I love you---I hate you? I'm the Goddamned Batman? HAHAHAHAHA! Plastic-Man?

I can't stop laughing.

Confused? You should be. This was an exact re-enactment of #5. For serious.

The Sperm-Bank line was gold.

I love the super*****y Wonder Woman.

Oh my god.

Oh, my god.

Wonder "Out of my way, sperm bank!" Woman, Super "Damn Amazons!" man, Plastic "Girl fight!" Man, and Green "I never say anything" Lantern meeting in a dark, dank basement to discuss how to bring down THE GODDAMN BATMAN, because he loves being THE GODDAMN BATMAN too goddamn much.

My dark-eyed angel? My dark-eyed angel? At least Alfred put the pajamas on OVER Dick's circus uniform.

DC and Marvel must've struck some kind of deal to get this book released on the same day as Ultimates 2 #13 and Mighty Avengers #3. Because when reading these three books, I thought "Well, they were [delayed/written by Bendis], but at least they're not All-Star The Goddamn Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder."

This is book is the physical equivelant to this.

I mean that. For serious.

Once you read the book you'll understand. WHERE IS DSF AND HIS THOUGHTS ON THIS!?!?!?

Last edited:
:sure:

I'm gonna need to see a couple of panels.

There's a preview for it somewhere online, but after ten minutes of Googling I couldn't find it. I did, however, find the discussion thread in the Newsarama forums. A third of the posts were praising it, a third were criticizing it, and the rest were trying to figure out whether the first group was being sarcastic or not.

THE GODDAMN BATMAN JUST GAVE YOU ARTHRITIS.

Latest posts

Back