All Star Batman and Robin

Goodwill said:
Are these DC's 'Ultimate' titles?

DC says it's not their Ultimate titles, but I think it is.

The Ultimate titles do the following:
  • Re-imagine and adapt the Marvel universe as if it had been originally created at the start of the 21st century
  • Create a smaller and streamlined ongoing Marvel universe to run concurrently with the 616 universe
  • Release titles featuring major Marvel characters that do not have the same barriers for new readers that the continuity of 616 titles possess

The All-Star titles only possess the third point, they are not meant to be re-imaginings of old characters starting in the 21st century, nor are they ongoing titles for a universe that will run alongside regular DC continuity. They are, to my knowledge, just 12-issue runs by top creators who are allowed to do iconic stories featuring iconic characters.

DIrishB said:
Hmmm, ok. Thats interesting. What is a prestige title? Hmmm, I'm not as excited about this now. So its outside of DC continuity in terms of being like an Elseworlds tale or something? By the way, sorry to ask again but I'm still unsure, you mentioned 12 issues, does that mean a 12 issue mini, 12 separate one-shots, or three separate four-issue mini's (Batman & Robin, Superman, Wonder Woman).

As for the 12-issues, as Mooney said, Grant Morrison has, in his 12-issue series has apparently, apart from a 2-part story featuring Bizarros invading Earth, each issue is a self-contained story, but they all link together into a 12-issue story called "The Twelve Labours of Superman". From what Grant Morrison has said about the title, it sounds like amazing fun.

But, I don't know the format for All-Star Batman & Robin and All-Star Wonder Woman. I believe, Batman & Robin is 12-issues, but I don't know how its structured, and the last I heard, Wonder Woman was only six issues.

But when I say "prestige" I mean that they are not mini-series, nor ongoing titles, but rather a serialised work. They should be exciting.

But don't expect to see All-Star Superman's origin and him slowly discovering how his powers work, along with the first appearance of All-Star Lex Luthor, and then perhaps, references in the titles amongst themselves. Each title is in its own separate world. There is no "All-Star Universe" to my knowledge, though when Wizard asked Grant Morrison if they were linked, he said "No, but I like the idea" (I'm paraphrasing of course).

Make any more sense now?

Bass said:
But, I don't know the format for All-Star Batman & Robin and All-Star Wonder Woman. I believe, Batman & Robin is 12-issues, but I don't know how its structured, and the last I heard, Wonder Woman was only six issues.

From what I've read, Frank Miller will be doing 6 issues of Batman and Robin. I'm not sure about Jim Lee, though.

Bass said:
The All-Star titles only possess the third point, they are not meant to be re-imaginings of old characters starting in the 21st century, nor are they ongoing titles for a universe that will run alongside regular DC continuity. They are, to my knowledge, just 12-issue runs by top creators who are allowed to do iconic stories featuring iconic characters.
I think an interesting way to illustrate this point is the old WB animated series incarnations of the characters. I don't believe they spent much time on Superman: TAS and Batman: TAS trying to delve into their origins but instead chose to just tell individual and approachable stories with the tiny expectation that they knew where Batman and Superman are coming from.
Of course, DC can get away with that because their characters are more iconically realized to begin with.

Ultimate Gambit said:
I don't think Lois Lane would die cuz if she did Superman would go crazy either that or become so depressed he would leave the mantle of Superman

Exactly. Thats why they would do it.

Eh, let 'em kill of Lois. If it doesn't work, they'll retcon her back in. Just like Wolverine's adamantium, Spidey being the clone of Reilly, Magneto being Xorn, and comic writers being good.

Bass said:
Eh, let 'em kill of Lois. If it doesn't work, they'll retcon her back in. Just like Wolverine's adamantium, Spidey being the clone of Reilly, Magneto being Xorn, and comic writers being good.

:lol:

Well i hope this is good, this title is the only chance im giving DC (it was recommended by Johnny Barvo/Patriot). Everyone certainly seems excited about it.

Nurhachi said:
Well i hope this is good, this title is the only chance im giving DC (it was recommended by Johnny Barvo/Patriot). Everyone certainly seems excited about it.
It's Frank Miller on Batman. It's good by default, just how good is the wuestion.

Baxter said:
It's Frank Miller on Batman. It's good by default, just how good is the wuestion.

wats "the wuestion"?

Besides this im getting WE3 and Batman:Year One as my challenge with Patriot

Nurhachi said:
wats "the wuestion"?

Besides this im getting WE3 and Batman:Year One as my challenge with Patriot
The Wuestion is a Charelston comics character created by Ditko :D

We all know I can't type by now, don't we?

Baxter said:
It's Frank Miller on Batman. It's good by default

Have you read "The Dark Knight Strikes Again"? If not, remember that Millar is perfectly capable of writing a terrible Batman Story.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Have you read "The Dark Knight Strikes Again"? If not, remember that Millar is perfectly capable of writing a terrible Batman Story.
Honestly, I enjoyed The Dark Knight Strikes Again. A little more than Returns. The art was.... questionable, and the **** Grayson bit didn't fit atall. Honestly, I don't even know why I enjoyed it, but I did.

I found myself enjoying Dark Knight Strikes Again. Infact, I daresay I loved it. However, that could just be my bodies natural response to reading anything Frank Miller wrote. But hey, whatever.

Baxter said:
Honestly, I enjoyed The Dark Knight Strikes Again. A little more than Returns. The art was.... questionable, and the **** Grayson bit didn't fit atall. Honestly, I don't even know why I enjoyed it, but I did.
I loved Miller's work on Daredevil, yet I've always found Dark Knight Returns disappointing. I know Miller was trying to tinker with the whole "media-as-character" storytelling device that he perfected in his other books, but here it just came across as overwrought.

ourchair said:
I loved Miller's work on Daredevil, yet I've always found Dark Knight Returns disappointing. I know Miller was trying to tinker with the whole "media-as-character" storytelling device that he perfected in his other books, but here it just came across as overwrought.

BLASPHEME!!!

Latest posts

Back