All Star Batman and Robin

I'm definately getting this title. I was going thru the Wizard issue that talked about the title and I saw the artists rendition of the The Question [my fav Dc character], so I'm hoping he appears in All-Star. Yeah,wishful thinking.

moonmaster said:
BLASPHEME!!!
So now we can't critique the monuments of comicdom? Honestly, if DKR hadn't been about Batman and had used analogues like Watchmen did it would have drifted off into obscurity like to many other overly ambicious titles. The revolutionary bit wasn't the storytelling, wich while above board for the time is about average for today, but the fact that DC was willing to take such a huge risk with one of thier spotlight properties.

I think part of that is why DKSA isn't seen in as good a light. Storytelling has evolved while Miller basicly wrote in the same styles as he did 20 years ago. He didn't evolve, and there was no halo of perfection to protect this one.

moonmaster said:
BLASPHEME!!!
Hey don't get me wrong, Dark Knight Returns is still in my opinion a grade-A five-star book. But let's just say that it's sister deconstructionist hero book Watchmen lived up better to the insane hype they both shared. Damn it, Watchmen made me ****ing cry.

Okay... so maybe it isn't just about that.

It starts with one of the world's superheroes, The Comedian, being found murdered in his apartment. From that murder, it mushrooms into a huge global conspiracy involving all the major characters, Rorschach, Owl-Man, Silk Spectre, Dr Manhattan, and Ozymandias while the story also delves deeply into the decades long history of the character. It really is a masterpiece.

But the subtext is all about the homosexual cowboys eating pudding.

Bass said:
Homosexual cowboys eating pudding.

3 subjects that don't interest me enough to buy a book about them, yet put them all together and I feel the urge to run to the bookstore RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

Bass said:

He's lying!!!!

Its about an america that utilized its superheroes during the cold war, winning vietnam, and giving nixon 5+ terms in the white house. The story takes place in the late 80's, when the cold war would have been winding down, had America not kept the heat on. The characters are all pieces of Cold War society, and yeah. Its just ****ing awesome.

It also answers the question of how do you stop nuclear annihilation.

The answer? Kill hundreds of thousands of people.

It is possibly the best graphic novel i've ever read.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Here's what I'm guessing.....

Infinite Crisis is going to screw the major continuity up to hell, and the Batman Comics and Superman Comics are being created as a way to keep the more recognizable aspects of the characters for people who might get involved post-movies. I'm not saying they won't be good, but they make sense from a marketing aspect as well as from the fan perspective.

In all seriousness, I don't think Bruce Wayne will be Batman in regular DC continuity... If he survives, he'll take on the role of Oracle. (Barbara's coming back as Batgirl somehow, she's on the cover of Supergirl #3)... He's just put himself into a position he might not be able to get out of. At the same time, they want the Bruce Wayne batman to be kicking arse in Gotham, so they made All-Star.

I also think Lois is going to die... Rawr.

*waits for the uproar*

Great analysis, as usual. It's good to keep in mind that both companies are straightening out their books to fall into line with the vastly more profitable movie properties.

Frankly, this does smack of Ultimates ripoff, though. I'm tired of Batman being re-invented. The most radical thing anybody could do would take two panels: Have him shoot a guy, then make a wisecrack about it.

Ulimited Batman, well, I might pick it up if **** Grayson smacked **** Cheney during a White House visit by **** Van Dyke, **** Cavett, Andy ****, **** Nixon and **** Tracy.

Man, we need a thread about how to have fun with this obscenity filter.

Parthuman said:
Great analysis, as usual. It's good to keep in mind that both companies are straightening out their books to fall into line with the vastly more profitable movie properties.

I'd agree if the movie properties were worth copying. In my opinion, the current slew of comic book movies (bearing in mind Batman Begins releases here this weekend, and I hope it's very good) have not been, in my opinion, really worth talking about, let alone copying. I mean, Hulk was my favourite, and that fell quite far from the bar that a lot of comics acheive in their own right.

I think Frank Miller should go to these companies, with a copy of Alan Moore's "Writing for Comics" that he wrote 15 years ago and rip into them that comics should'nt just be aping mediocre cinema, because it only reinforces the nonsense that comics are the retarded cousin of the cinema.

****ing ****s, I get so livid with these stupid ****wits sometimes.

hell i'm gonna get this! jim lee and frank miller, will be cool and for someone like me who doesn't pick up the regular version it should be good.

if it all goes pear-shaped tho, im sure these little beauties will go for a bomb on ebay hehehehhe :twisted: 8) :wink:

Bass said:

Y'know, that probably made me laugh harder than I have in a long time on this site.

Bass, Sir, you have done your job.

Thanks for the previews, but bleh. I don't think I'm getting this.

Latest posts

Back