All-Star Superman Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

UltimateE said:
Who is Leo Quintum? And the bio-bomb guy - is that an existing character or is it new here?

Will no one answer my questions?

Quite frankly I'm not sure. He kinda reminds me of Depp's willy wonka, with a rainbow coat, and instead of engineering chocolate, he engineers humanoids.

Pretty cool character.

He vows to help superman.

Last edited:
UltimateE said:
Will no one answer my questions?

Leo Quantum is the head of p.r.o.j.e.c.t. One time he infiltrated the Justice League as Professor Bourne in a skull costume. They didn't know it was him and he revealed himself in the end of the arc and almost obliterated the team. Aquaman killed him. It later transpired that there was a real Professor Bourne and this was his evil-twin-brother pretending to be Quantum pretending to be Bourne. Heads exploded.

I like how somebody finally elaborated on the concept of "What if Superman absorbs a butt load of solar energy?" It's been theorized for years now that the more solar energy he builds up, the stronger he gets, and that he'd also develop new superpowers. Now we see that it gives him super-duper-nuke vision as well as the ability to extend the bioelectric aura that grants him his invulnerability, thus allowing him to grab things and pull them or make others invulnerable. Not to mention that his already limitless strength has tripled. What exactly is a quintillion ton? I'm assuming they're saying that he can truly move planets without breaking a sweat now.

Doc Comic said:
I like how somebody finally elaborated on the concept of "What if Superman absorbs a butt load of solar energy?" It's been theorized for years now that the more solar energy he builds up, the stronger he gets, and that he'd also develop new superpowers. Now we see that it gives him super-duper-nuke vision as well as the ability to extend the bioelectric aura that grants him his invulnerability, thus allowing him to grab things and pull them or make others invulnerable. Not to mention that his already limitless strength has tripled. What exactly is a quintillion ton? I'm assuming they're saying that he can truly move planets without breaking a sweat now.

A quintillion is 1x10^18 or 1,000,000,000,000,000,000. Heh, interestingly enough, the earth weighs approximately 6.585 sextillion tons, or 6.585x10^21. So, looks like he's still gonna break a sweat moving those planets ;). Now continents though...

Now, I just realised we haven't given props yet to Lex Luthor.

In Grant Morrison's first issue, Lex Luthor does the following:

He invests in water companies, and dams fifteen rivers.
He infiltrates the top secret uber-tech P.R.O.J.E.C.T.'s exploration mission to the sun with a genetically engineered human suicide bomb.
He communicates with said bomb with a 9-minute delay. In other words, when the bomb here's the commands Luthor tells him, Luthor told it to him 9 minutes ago. Which means Luthor has to work out what will happen in the next 9 minutes on the SUN and plan accordingly from Earth.
Luthor's plan was to have the bomb tamper with the Sun resulting in global drought and he profits due to his control of water.

That's right. His plan was to **** with the sun so he could control Earth's water.

The sun.

And apparently, this was all a ruse to make Superman oversaturated with the Sun's radiation so it would kill him slowly.

And apparently, that isn't actually his plan, but rather the first step in his grand plan.

We find all this out in one issue.

Is this not the best thing ever?

Who wants to bet that Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor will want to kill Superman with a kryptonite bullet and a whammo-ray?

I doubt that Superman Returns will ever be as cinematic and grandiose as this title already is.

Bass said:

He infiltrates the top secret uber-tech P.R.O.J.E.C.T.'s exploration mission to the sun with a genetically engineered human suicide bomb.
He communicates with said bomb with a 9-minute delay. In other words, when the bomb here's the commands Luthor tells him, Luthor told it to him 9 minutes ago. Which means Luthor has to work out what will happen in the next 9 minutes on the SUN and plan accordingly from Earth.
Luthor's plan was to have the bomb tamper with the Sun resulting in global drought and he profits due to his control of water.

That's right. His plan was to **** with the sun so he could control Earth's water.

The sun.

And apparently, this was all a ruse to make Superman oversaturated with the Sun's radiation so it would kill him slowly.

And apparently, that isn't actually his plan, but rather the first step in his grand plan.

Who wants to bet that Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor will want to kill Superman with a kryptonite bullet and a whammo-ray?

I doubt that Superman Returns will ever be as cinematic and grandiose as this title already is.

Wow. That's why I love Luthor.

Bass said:

The sun.

I love when you make posts like this.

Bass said:
What's so special about this post? I don't get it.

It's just that when you summarize it neatly like that it reminds me how good it is, I want to stop and re-read it. For the gajillionth time.

Bass said:

The sun.

See now this is why I love well written DC comics. You don't get craziness like that in a marvel book.

And Luthor is the ****. Always has been always will be.

UltimateE said:
It's just that when you summarize it neatly like that it reminds me how good it is, I want to stop and re-read it. For the gajillionth time.

This is why 'decompression' is crap most of the time. They decompress a moment, scene, or story to such an extent you get everything fully on the first reading, whereas properly written material which works on multiple layers at the same time, as opposed to slowing pace down to experience one layer at a time, is able to be read and reread consistently and new to experience everytime. I mean, just look at the epilogue. With the whole 'plot dialogue' going, Superman, AS CLARK, manages to save someone's life, without ANYONE realising it.

This is full, rich storytelling and not thin and stretched pap.

Did anyone else have the John Williams Superman theme on repeat while they read this issue?

I do.

Because I'm great.

I am really looking forward to the Fortress of Solitude in #2.

Last edited:
I agree with everything with bass says...

superman.png

(I <3 Jeffrey Rowland)

Latest posts

Back