All-Star Superman Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

DIrishB said:
I just wish this was a start to an ongoing Ultimate version of DC, not an out-of-continuity mini. Thats about the only way I'll ever get into DC, so I can catch the stories from the beginning. I know it would be kind of a rip-off and tasteless, but I don't doubt the huge sales would soothe that.

But... an out-of-continuity IS from the beginning. AS Superman #1 is the first issue and the beginning. Your logic hurts my brain. You will only get #1 of a series if it will last more than 20 issues? Doesn't it make more sense to get into DC via smaller mini-series so if you don't like them, you're not going to be committed to a ongoing run?

Bass said:
But... an out-of-continuity IS from the beginning. AS Superman #1 is the first issue and the beginning.

Thats not what I'm saying. Does this at all explain his origin? His coming to Metropolis and becoming Superman? I haven't read it but from the reviews thats not the case. And while it doesn't have to be an ongoing, thats more attractive to me as I'll get more story in the long run. I'm in it for the long haul, you know?

Your logic hurts my brain. You will only get #1 of a series if it will last more than 20 issues? Doesn't it make more sense to get into DC via smaller mini-series so if you don't like them, you're not going to be committed to a ongoing run?

If I didn't like a series, ongoing or mini, I would stop buying it. The only series I haven't done that with is Ultimate Iron Man, only because I'm an Ultimate completist. Does that logic soothe your brain any? My point is from a business standpoint it makes sense for DC to try their own version of an Ultimate line, even if it will be a rip-off. It would be a great way to not only attract new readers, but get existing DC fans into runs of comics they'll be more likely to buy every issue of (again, from a completist point of view).

DIrishB said:
Thats not what I'm saying. Does this at all explain his origin? His coming to Metropolis and becoming Superman?

No, it doesn't. Reason being that everyone knows that story and has seen it presented 500 times in 500 ways. No reason to tell it yet again.

UltimateE said:
No, it doesn't. Reason being that everyone knows that story and has seen it presented 500 times in 500 ways. No reason to tell it yet again.

Not true. I'd like to see it told, in a slightly different way, but still stay true to the character. Sort of like the Ultimates, I suppose. Again, it would be a rip-off, but it would sell, and if its written by a worthy scribe also garner critical acclaim. Once that happens very few will be focusing on the rip-off aspect.

Besides, I'm sure you knew the stories of Spider-Man, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Avengers, yet that didn't deter you from buying the Ultimate versions, did it?

DIrishB said:
Besides, I'm sure you knew the stories of Spider-Man, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Avengers, yet that didn't deter you from buying the Ultimate versions, did it?

That's different. Ultimate characters are new characters in a new Universe. This is still the same old Superman.

DIrishB said:
Spider-Man, never bought it. Sucks. Sucks sooo much.
X-Men, never bought it, heard its ok.
F4 yeah, ok, shush.
Avengers: yeah, ok, shush again.

Anyway, as you've all said, AS SUPERMAN PWNZ J00!

UltimateE said:
That's different. Ultimate characters are new characters in a new Universe. This is still the same old Superman.

But thats what I'm saying I'd like to see. A new take on Superman (but not drastically different), updated and more relevant to our times. Without all the pre-established half-decade plus of continuity. Something I could pick up and start collecting from the very beginning and genuinely enjoy, and hopefully enjoy for years to come. Just like the Ultimate line. It should also only have a small amount of ongoing books: a Superman title, a Batman, a Green Lantern, and maybe a Wonder Woman. Later on they could launch a JLA book as well.

I remember when Wizard did that article about what an Ultimate version of DC heroes would be like, complete with character summaries and art, with their updated costumes. I was freaking out with happiness thinking it was going to happen, until I made it down to the end of the article and read that this was just a "What If?" article. Then I threw it down in anger and spit on it. Well, not really, but I was sorely disappointed.

DIrishB said:
But thats what I'm saying I'd like to see. A new take on Superman (but not drastically different), updated and more relevant to our times. Without all the pre-established half-decade plus of continuity. Something I could pick up and start collecting from the very beginning and genuinely enjoy, and hopefully enjoy for years to come. Just like the Ultimate line. It should also only have a small amount of ongoing books: a Superman title, a Batman, a Green Lantern, and maybe a Wonder Woman. Later on they could launch a JLA book as well.
I think when Infinite Crisis is over and the universe is a year ahead, and many things have changed, that would be an ideal place for you to start collecting. It won't be the same as an Ultimate line, but it should be sort of from the beginning, if you get my gist.
And, if you want to read about WW, GL, Supes and BAts, go read Ultimate DC in the fics. Hehe. Shamless plug.

Last edited:
GMaster said:
I think when Infinite Crisis is over and the universe is a year ahead, and many things have changed, that would be an ideal place for you to start collecting. It won't be the same as an Ultimate line, but it should be sort of from the beginning, if you get my gist.

I might, but I doubt it. It still won't be the true beginning, and I really doubt we'll really see any changes to the characters themselves. They'll still be the same they have been for the past 65 years.

And, if you want to read about WW, GL, Supes and BAts, go read Ultimate DC in the fics. Hehe. Shamless plug.

Like I told ProjectX2, its just not the same. Mainly because its missing art.

DIrishB said:
Does this at all explain his origin?

Yes it does. First page, four panels.

DIrishB said:
If I didn't like a series, ongoing or mini, I would stop buying it. The only series I haven't done that with is Ultimate Iron Man, only because I'm an Ultimate completist. Does that logic soothe your brain any?

... No. You're saying you only want to purchase comics that will continue, essentially, for years and years, yet you will give up on said series if they aren't good after a few months - unless it's part of line you like in which case you'll collect it anyway.

Basically, you're saying that you want Ultimate Superman. All-Star Superman IS Ultimate Superman in that there is no prior continuity. It is a new universe. It is a new take on Superman that stays true to the character. What you want in a 6-part origin arc and an ongoing series. In other words, because its 12 issues and not filled with exposition, you don't want it. I'd understand if All-Star Superman was bad. But it really isn't.

DIrishB said:
ot true. I'd like to see it told, in a slightly different way, but still stay true to the character. Sort of like the Ultimates, I suppose. Again, it would be a rip-off, but it would sell, and if its written by a worthy scribe also garner critical acclaim. Once that happens very few will be focusing on the rip-off aspect.

Superman: Birthright was a 12-issue mini written by Mark Waid and pencilled by Leinil Yu that was just retelling his origin and explaining why he went to Metropolis, what he did growing up, discusses Krypton, why and how they sent Kal-El to earth, etc. It's just an update of his origin for 2002. It is "Ultimate Superman". But it's 12-issues, and its okay.

DIrishB said:
But thats what I'm saying I'd like to see. A new take on Superman (but not drastically different), updated and more relevant to our times. Without all the pre-established half-decade plus of continuity. Something I could pick up and start collecting from the very beginning and genuinely enjoy, and hopefully enjoy for years to come.

It's currently called "Smallville".

Before that it was called "Superman: Birthright".

Before that it was called "Superman: The Animated Series".

Before that it was called "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman".

Before that it was called "Superman: The Movie".

It's about to be called "Superman Returns".

What you're forgetting is that unlike Spidey, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and the Avengers, Superman HAS been 'ultimitized' in the cinema and television FOUR times in the last FIFTEEN years. What's more, they haven't just 'ultimized' it, they've MINED it. Spider-Man's origin had been in a newspaper strip, one episode of a cartoon series in the early seventies, an flop of a tv movie in the early 70s, and a comic or two. Even the Spidey cartoon of the 90s didn't do an origin episode. So when Bendis did Ultimate Spider-Man, it worked because we'd yet to see Uncle Ben for more than one issue or five minutes. Bendis kept him alive for five issues. We'd not seen "Puny Parker" for more than a couple of pages - Bendis kept it up for a whole issue. There was stuff in the Spidey origin that had just been glossed over - even the Spider-Man movie had "Puny Parker" for only ten minutes, then he got the spider-bite. The X-Men don't even have an origin. Their origin is, "On their first mission, they fought Magneto" and thus it can't be 'retold' because there isn't a canon origin story for them. Fantastic Four and the Avengers again, have origins barely heard of outside the field of comics, and even the Avengers' is damn open. The F4 have their origin continually changed just so it involves, "an accident" of some kind. *shudder*

Superman on the other hand, has an entire tv show dedicated to his origin that is not only currently on the air, but it is one of the most popular shows on tv (though, God knows why) . The cartoon series spent 3 episodes detailing his origin. The first Superman movie had his origin last 40 minutes before he put on the damn cape. The current trailer for Superman Returns is nothing BUT his origin. That's the teaser trailer. His origin.

Everyone knows pretty much everything about Superman's origin and it's been told multiple times in multiple mediums in the last decade. It is part of pop culture and not an obscure piece of trivia. Same for Batman. Spider-Man - everyone knew about the spider-bite, but not about Uncle Ben. But Superman? Krypton, the Kent farm, Lex Luthor, Clark Kent, Daily Planet, Metropolis, Lois Lane, Kryptonite - it's all part of pop culture and everyone knows it by heart.

And we STILL got Superman: Birthright.

So, what you're asking for exists - in MULTIPLE forms, it just doesn't have "Ultimate" in the title. So how about you pick one of them up, okay?

Last edited:
Bass said:
Yes it does. First page, four panels.

I'd like a bit more depth than that though.

... No. You're saying you only want to purchase comics that will continue, essentially, for years and years, yet you will give up on said series if they aren't good after a few months - unless it's part of line you like in which case you'll collect it anyway.

No, thats not what I'm saying. As I already said earlier in this thread, I'm going to give AS Superman a shot because of all the positive reviews its gotten here on the site and others. And I won't give up on a title if it is bad occasionally, no title is perfect. The Ultimate Iron Man analogy you're making (well, that I made, but that you're playing off) isn't fair, as thats sucked from the very beginning, and I'm only collecting it as a completist.

Basically, you're saying that you want Ultimate Superman.

Thats exactly what I said.

All-Star Superman IS Ultimate Superman in that there is no prior continuity. It is a new universe. It is a new take on Superman that stays true to the character. What you want in a 6-part origin arc and an ongoing series. In other words, because its 12 issues and not filled with exposition, you don't want it. I'd understand if All-Star Superman was bad. But it really isn't.

Again, I never said I "didn't want" it. I said I'd be picking this up, soon as I get a chance to make it to the comic shop, which might not be awhile as I don't have a car after last weekend and am having to catch rides from my parents or friends to get to work, and won't be asking them for a non-essential ride to the comic store.

Now that thats out of the way, you're correct in saying I would like something with a little more exposition, not for "padding", but because I'd like an opportunity to really get to know the character from the start and watch him grow and change. Something that is really not going to happen much at all in a 12-issue mini-series. And I never said AS Superman was bad, how could I without having read it?

Superman: Birthright was a 12-issue mini written by Mark Waid and pencilled by Leinil Yu that was just retelling his origin and explaining why he went to Metropolis, what he did growing up, discusses Krypton, why and how they sent Kal-El to earth, etc. It's just an update of his origin for 2002. It is "Ultimate Superman". But it's 12-issues, and its okay.

I remember reading a review of it.

It's currently called "Smallville".

Before that it was called "Superman: Birthright".

Before that it was called "Superman: The Animated Series".

Before that it was called "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman".

Before that it was called "Superman: The Movie".

It's about to be called "Superman Returns".

What you're forgetting is that unlike Spidey, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and the Avengers, Superman HAS been 'ultimitized' in the cinema and television FOUR times in the last FIFTEEN years. What's more, they haven't just 'ultimized' it, they've MINED it. Spider-Man's origin had been in a newspaper strip, one episode of a cartoon series in the early seventies, an flop of a tv movie in the early 70s, and a comic or two. Even the Spidey cartoon of the 90s didn't do an origin episode. So when Bendis did Ultimate Spider-Man, it worked because we'd yet to see Uncle Ben for more than one issue or five minutes. Bendis kept him alive for five issues. We'd not seen "Puny Parker" for more than a couple of pages - Bendis kept it up for a whole issue. There was stuff in the Spidey origin that had just been glossed over - even the Spider-Man movie had "Puny Parker" for only ten minutes, then he got the spider-bite. The X-Men don't even have an origin. Their origin is, "On their first mission, they fought Magneto" and thus it can't be 'retold' because there isn't a canon origin story for them. Fantastic Four and the Avengers again, have origins barely heard of outside the field of comics, and even the Avengers' is damn open. The F4 have their origin continually changed just so it involves, "an accident" of some kind. *shudder*

Superman on the other hand, has an entire tv show dedicated to his origin that is not only currently on the air, but it is one of the most popular shows on tv (though, God knows why) . The cartoon series spent 3 episodes detailing his origin. The first Superman movie had his origin last 40 minutes before he put on the damn cape. The current trailer for Superman Returns is nothing BUT his origin. That's the teaser trailer. His origin.

Here's the problem, I'm not talking about television or movies, I'm talking about comic books. Do you take me for an idiot and think I don't know of those shows/movies? Hell, I've seen most of them. But I want a new beginning on Superman (and for that matter the other major DC heroes) thats not going to end after 12 issues. Like I said, I'm looking for some character development, something Superman really hasn't had much of ever as far as I'm concerned. Now I don't read the regular title so maybe I'm just being ignorant, but just how much has Superman changed over the past 60 years?

Everyone knows pretty much everything about Superman's origin and it's been told multiple times in multiple mediums in the last decade.

Exactly why I'd like to see a new take on it. Not drastically different, but not exactly the same either, something I bet the four panel origin in AS Superman didn't do.

It is part of pop culture and not an obscure piece of trivia. Same for Batman. Spider-Man - everyone knew about the spider-bite, but not about Uncle Ben. But Superman? Krypton, the Kent farm, Lex Luthor, Clark Kent, Daily Planet, Metropolis, Lois Lane, Kryptonite - it's all part of pop culture and everyone knows it by heart.

Again, thats the main reason I'd like to see a new spin on it. I think you're missing my point totally.

And we STILL got Superman: Birthright.

So, what you're asking for exists - in MULTIPLE forms, it just doesn't have "Ultimate" in the title. So how about you pick one of them up, okay?

How about you drop the Superman purist attitude, okay? For the third time in this post alone, I plan on picking up AS Superman. I just wish it wasn't a Superman mini which really could easily fit into current DC continuity, which it most certainly probably could. I want a whole new DC universe, with new takes on the classic characters, so I and many others like me could jump on from the start and get to see the characters become who they are in a gradual and character-driven way. What the hell is so wrong with that? Man, you Superman fanboys sure are *****y.

thee great one said:
Watch the new Batman cartoon that is basically a ultimate Batman.

No it isn't, its Batman: Year 3 with all the villains in extreme new costumes and looks. While that angle is reminiscent of the Ultimate titles in a way, its still lacking what I'm looking for. Besides, I really dislike the blocky animation style of that show.

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
I just wish it wasn't a Superman mini which really could easily fit into current DC continuity, which it most certainly probably could. I want a whole new DC universe, with new takes on the classic characters, so I and many others like me could jump on from the start and get to see the characters become who they are in a gradual and character-driven way. What the hell is so wrong with that? Man, you Superman fanboys sure are *****y.
Yeah, I agree. Except I don't know about this fitting in normal continuity since I don't really read DC.

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
No, thats not what I'm saying. As I already said earlier in this thread, I'm going to give AS Superman a shot because of all the positive reviews its gotten here on the site and others.

You did? I missed that. :oops:

DIrishB said:
Now that thats out of the way, you're correct in saying I would like something with a little more exposition, not for "padding", but because I'd like an opportunity to really get to know the character from the start and watch him grow and change. Something that is really not going to happen much at all in a 12-issue mini-series.

This is why I am maddened by the current trend of decompressed arcs. You can, in 12-issues, get to really know a character from the start, watch them grow, and change. 20 years ago, if in 12-issues you couldn't do that, you didn't have a job. I'm trying really hard here not fly off the handle, but sufficed to say - buying a 12-issue mini-series and thinking it won't grant you the opportunity for catching a story from the start and watching the characters within it grow and change is just - well, it saddens me.

DIrishB said:
I remember reading a review of it.

Wasn't bad. It's exactly what you're after - you really ought to get it. It's only twelve issues, but if you ignore that aspect, it is exactly what you're asking for.

DIrishB said:
But I want a new beginning on Superman (and for that matter the other major DC heroes) thats not going to end after 12 issues. Like I said, I'm looking for some character development, something Superman really hasn't had much of ever as far as I'm concerned. Now I don't read the regular title so maybe I'm just being ignorant, but just how much has Superman changed over the past 60 years?

He's changed more than Spidey has in 40, really.

As an actual character, true character change or morals, passions, and desires - he hasn't, not really. But then neither has Spider-Man or any other mainstream superhero, since it's somewhat inappropriate to the genre.

DIrishB said:
How about you drop the Superman purist attitude, okay? For the third time in this post alone, I plan on picking up AS Superman. I just wish it wasn't a Superman mini which really could easily fit into current DC continuity, which it most certainly probably could. I want a whole new DC universe, with new takes on the classic characters, so I and many others like me could jump on from the start and get to see the characters become who they are in a gradual and character-driven way. What the hell is so wrong with that? Man, you Superman fanboys sure are *****y.

As for the new DC universe that takes on classic characters - Seven Soldiers of Victory is that, on a smaller scale. What you're asking for is called "One Year Later". It is a huge reset button for newbies to jump onto and catch all these new stories from the new beginning of the DC universe. (I think.)

My attitude was also not me being a purist, nor a fanboy, but maddened that I thought someone was refusing to pick up All-Star Superman because it didn't retell an origin that is being retold in at least two mediums at the moment, and wasn't long enough. Had I been aware you were picking up the title, I wouldn't have been so incensed.

My problem (and it is my problem) is that you are essentially asking for a 'trendy' Superman - no continuity, revamped, streamlined, ongoing, etc - which is not only being done, but is a current trend in the mainstream superhero genre ignited by Hollywood's current and no doubt, short-lived infatuation with superheroes and the success of the Ultimate titles. The tragedy of this is - all the recent superhero films are, at best, just mediocre - okay, entertaning to some extent, but certainly too long and uninspiring, like Daredevil, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, and X-Men. There isn't a truly good one among them that will ever stand the test of time like films from other genres. Those that aren't mediocre or a bit better than average, are atrocious, like Fantastic Four. Then there's Hulk which tried to be a brilliant film, and shot itself in the foot by being ridiculously boring and 'character-driven' - but at least it tried.

The best superhero film to come out recently is The Incredibles, which has the important distinction of not being based on a comic book.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the Ultimate line is just boring too. Ultimate Iron Man is a joke. The Ultimate Gah Lak Tus Trlogy is an empty threat, because of it's schedule and lack of consistency with other Ultimate titles. Ultimate Fantastic Four is, instead of being fantastic, a cliche. Ultimate X-Men was quite good, but nothing groundbreaking or industry shaping. Ultimate Spider-Man is now awful, despite having genuinely clever moments every now and again. The Ultimates, the best of the line by a long way, has become tired and annoying because it doesn't come out, and is to be followed up by two creators who's previous track record are far from desirable.

If that wasn't bad enough, Superman: Man of Steel, was for all intensive purposes, "Ultimate Superman" and it was done in the early 80s. Here we are, 20 years later, and people want a new revamping of continuity. I think that alone proves just how short-lived the Ultimate universe is.

And people, like yourself, are asking the comics industry to ape these two short-lived, and artistically-failed enterprises.

One of the only superhero comics I'm really enjoying right now, is All-Star Superman, and here I thought, you weren't buying it because it's not trendy - but in fact, you are giving it a shot, and I, through my ranting, have probably ruined some of the enjoyment from it for you. Yay me.

As I said, it's my problem, but that's how I see things from up here on this high horse of mine. :(

Last edited:
I liked this new Sentry-like character, but was confused by the first four panels. "Doomed planet" -- what planet? Uranus? "Desperate scientists" -- what are they desperate about? Are they boyfriend and girlfriend? Third panel -- I forget.
Fourth panel -- Kindly coupla hillbillies, look like Jed and Granny Clampet.

Then we see this guy in a costume flying. WTF? And he is immeasurably strong. And some scientist is creating monsters to replace him, because he flew into the sun and caught a bad virus.

And who is this Clark dude? What does he have to do with the Sentry-like character? Why are there oranges spilled on the sidewalk in the last panel?

Don't get it. Was this guy bitten by a radioactive spider, stuffed full of super-soldier serum, or cursed with the X gene? Gamma rays? And why does he look so fat?

Confused by everything. Reminds me of "Evolve or Die," which started months ago.

Last edited:
John Q. Public said:
I liked this new Sentry-like character, but was confused by the first four panels. "Doomed planet" -- what planet? Uranus? "Desperate scientists" -- what are they desperate about? Are they boyfriend and girlfriend? Third panel -- I forget.
Fourth panel -- Kindly coupla hillbillies, look like Jed and Granny Clampet.

Then we see this guy in a costume flying. WTF? And he is immeasurably strong. And some scientist is creating monsters to replace him, because he flew into the sun and caught a bad virus.

And who is this Clark dude? What does he have to do with the Sentry-like character? Why are there oranges spilled on the sidewalk in the last panel?

Don't get it. Was this guy bitten by a radioactive spider, stuffed full of super-soldier serum, or cursed with the X gene? Gamma rays? And why does he look so fat?

Confused by everything. Reminds me of "Evolve or Die," which started months ago.
...I think I'm going to go vote in that poll now...

Kaufman.

And I agree with Bass. This series establishes everything .Theres really no need for any drawn out arc establishing things we already know. And if you wan that get the Superman: Birthright trade. A good read by Mark Waid establishing and building everything you seem to want.

Baxter said:
And if you wan that get the Superman: Birthright trade. A good read by Mark Waid establishing and building everything you seem to want.

This Sentry dude is called "Superman?" Geez. That's like a ripoff of George Bernard Shaw's "Man and Superman." Which is like 80 years old. Why not some other name, like, "UltraMan" or, hell, "Thor." Or "He-Man?" Superman. Sheesh. You serious? :p

Wow. Wow. They announced the next writer on Ultimate Superman.

Here's the link:

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/about.shtml

Birthright was the biggest crock of **** to happen to Superman since his death. There was no need to give Superman yet another origin. It felt like they just wrote it to tie Smallville into the comics. And don't get me started on the whole complex Lex Luthor-making-holographic-Kryptonian-ships crap.

Latest posts

Back