All-Star Superman Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

This is what Superman is meant to be.

It's just, just incredible. No room wasted, perfect characterizations, a plot that's in its first issue and already promises to be one of the richest and most fulfilling stories written in years, fantastic art and great little details and homages.

Seriously, this could play out to be one of the definitive Superman stories. Looking forward to the next issue.

BTW, who loved that scene of Lois writing the headline that Superman saved the day? "I always write the Superman headlines in advance." That's classic.

Entropy said:
This is what Superman is meant to be.

This is what all comics should be.

Could you imagine what comics would be like if they were ALL written with the amount of respect that Morrison obviously has for these characters?

We wouldn't need Reggie Hudlin and Orson Scott Card it a poor attempt to boost sales.

From Warren Ellis's Bad Signal:

Read the first issue of ALL-STAR SUPERMAN last night. Yards better than the slightly embarrassing ALL- STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN THE GROOMED PAEDOPHILE VICTIM, but still a bit emptier and more efficient than I'd expected. Grant's very much got his professional head on. Lovely throwaway ideas cast all through it, and Frank Quitely's on top form. It's a very planned work, thoroughly conceived down to different speech patterns and body languages for Superman and Clark. But it's certainly Grant and Frank as stadium-rock -- a very tight, very professional U2 kind of gig as opposed to the sort of crackling Velvet Underground hail of new noise you had in WE3.

(In contrast, I'm still the Stooges before they learned how to play their instruments. Which is a bit sad, at 37, but I get by.)

All of which is only to be expected. They're serving the trademark, after all. Look how carefully Frank renders Lois Lane, stepping out of his own style a little. Absolute focus on what is required to produce, not a Morrison/Quitely book, but a Superman book. The only really wrong note is struck, for me, by the Chip Kidd logo design. But then, I never really "got" Chip Kidd.

I got my copy today. And it was much better than AS Batman has been. I have let to read something bad from Morrison. Most of the art was stunning. Someparts were akward. I'm looking forward to more. Luthor was very clever and on top of his game. This is a good break from all the crisis that the normal Superman is dealing with. 9 out 10.

Enough, okay? Let's move on.

What would Superman do?

He'd like... do something nice for someone else. That sucks.

Okay, what would Lex Luthor do?

That's right people, it's time to genetically engineer a living sun. Crack to it.

Bass said:
That's right people, it's time to genetically engineer a living sun. Crack to it.

I'm confused - that's what you think will happen?

Entropy said:
You never saw Superman IV E?

I don't think so. I think I've only seen the first 2.

UltimateE said:
I don't think so. I think I've only seen the first 2.

They're the only two worth seeing anyways. To clarify (and I'll put this in spoilers just in case)...

In Superman 4, this kid gives Superman the idea to rid the world of nuclear weapons, which he takes before the UN. Everybody agree's and they shoot their nukes into space for Supes to dispose of in the sun. Luthor takes this as his golden opportunity to finally do Supes in, and steals a genetic sample of Supes from a museum. He then makes this package thing that he attaches to a nuke that gets shot up into space and Supes throws it into the sun and BAZAAM!! Nuclear Man, a being of nuclear energy like a living sun, is created!

From there, it gets really bad. No Richard Pryor though.

3 pages worth of crap removed.

Stay on topic, and keep the bickering out.

Bass said:
Three pages? Really?

That was in Superman 4?!
There ws 3 pages of bivkereing? Damn!

Okay, I just re-read this and I'm in awe of what Morrison managed to do in one issue. Its just o dense that I'm still catching bits, all while being a satisfactory read on the surface. I wish this was in continuity

Yeah, Superman 4 was horrific.

Last edited:
Baxter said:
There ws 3 pages of bivkereing? Damn!

Okay, I just re-read this and I'm in awe of what Morrison managed to do in one issue. Its just o dense that I'm still catching bits, all while being a satisfactory read on the surface. I wish this was in continuity

I just wish this was a start to an ongoing Ultimate version of DC, not an out-of-continuity mini. Thats about the only way I'll ever get into DC, so I can catch the stories from the beginning. I know it would be kind of a rip-off and tasteless, but I don't doubt the huge sales would soothe that.

DIrishB said:
I just wish this was a start to an ongoing Ultimate version of DC, not an out-of-continuity mini. Thats about the only way I'll ever get into DC, so I can catch the stories from the beginning. I know it would be kind of a rip-off and tasteless, but I don't doubt the huge sales would soothe that.

Hmmm...

Go to the Fan Fic and Art forum. Read the various Ultimate DC titles...

ProjectX2 said:
Hmmm...

Go to the Fan Fic and Art forum. Read the various Ultimate DC titles...

Nah, not much of a fan fic guy. Though I do get a chuckly from the UC Fan Fic and Houde's Law and Order ones. The thing about the fan fics on message boards though is they lack a basic element of comic books...the art.

Latest posts

Back