All-Star Superman Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

... I thought it was a bit rubbish. I'm really disappointed.

I had my Superman theme tune playing loudly as I read it.

I just didn't enjoy it at all. I'll need to reread it again with the previous 11. But at the moment... I'm really disappointed. :(

Ah, well.

Yeah, me too. :cry:

Hopefully the one-shots will be good. This one just didn't live up to the massive expectations.

... I thought it was a bit rubbish. I'm really disappointed.

I had my Superman theme tune playing loudly as I read it.

I just didn't enjoy it at all. I'll need to reread it again with the previous 11. But at the moment... I'm really disappointed. :(

Ah, well.

"Rubbish" is a little harsh, but yeah - I was a little disappointed with it too.

I think I, too, need to re-read the last issue or two or three because it's been so long between issues I honestly forgot what was going on.

Wait, are you guys saying that you're disappointed with the recent issues (#s 10-12) or with the whole series? Because I think All-Star Superman is the best Superman comic in years.

Last edited:
Wait, are you guys saying that you're disappointed with the recent issues (#s 10-12) or with the whole series? Because I think All-Star Superman is the best Superman comic in years.

They're saying they're disappointed with the conclusion. I'm pretty sure they all loved the majority of the series.

They're saying they're disappointed with the conclusion. I'm pretty sure they all loved the majority of the series.

Yep. The series as a whole is one of the best things I've ever read.

Three issues I didn't like: #6 (the Superboy issue), #11, and #12 (the two-part finale). Though #11 did have some nice moments, mainly Solaris.

The finale felt rushed and unimportant. For 11 issues and 17 years we've been told Superman is going to die.

Then he dies. And decides to "not be quite so dead" and comes back to life and fixes the sun.

Bull.

But the other 9 issues were ****ing superb. I particularly loved #3 (Lois as Superwoman) and #10 (the 'day in the life' issue).

And Quitely was amazing in all of them.

Last edited:
I didn't feel the finale was that rushed...I think it fitted in with the rest of the series, at least in terms of tone. I think if I'd been counting the days down until this came out then I may have been dissappointed, but I just kinda got to the comics store and was like "ooh the last issue it out"...made my day.

I think the "2" bit right at the end annoyed me a little. But that might be generally me getting annoyed with things that always always always leave with a cliffhanger and I never feel content. This cliffhanger was more tongue-in-cheek...or at least that's how i'm taking it.

I love how this one series has got nearly 500 posts...almost all of which are "The new issue was great"

I love how this one series has got nearly 500 posts...almost all of which are "The new issue was great"

I saw a review today (I forgot where) that called All-Star Superman the modern day Watchmen.

I saw a review today (I forgot where) that called All-Star Superman the modern day Watchmen.

That's what we call 'over-rating'.

The reason All-Star Superman was so much fun was because it was so much fun. It was oozing with heart, humour, sass and that Superman-sparkle that hasn't been seen since Lois & Clark ended. It wasn't nearly as era-defining and innovative as Watchmen.

Watchmen changes your life. All-Star Superman occupies your lunchbreak.

That's what we call 'over-rating'.

The reason All-Star Superman was so much fun was because it was so much fun. It was oozing with heart, humour, sass and that Superman-sparkle that hasn't been seen since Lois & Clark ended. It wasn't nearly as era-defining and innovative as Watchmen.

Watchmen changes your life. All-Star Superman occupies your lunchbreak.

I strongly disagree. It holds up much better than that.

It didn't say that it was as good as or better than Watchmen, and it didn't say it was on the same level of literary (or industry) importance.

I can't ever remember reading such an excellent interview with a comics writer. Grant Morrison deserves every last iota of praise he gets and then a whole lot more.

Also, Frank Quitely's All-Star Superman Art is a quintupillion times better than what Jim Lee would inevitably have churned out.

Last edited:
Also, Frank Quitely's All-Star Superman Art is a quintupillion times better than what Jim Lee would inevitably have churned out.

YES. It fit the "fun" tone of Morrison's writing much better than Jim Lee would have.

YES. It fit the "fun" tone of Morrison's writing much better than Jim Lee would have.

Let me state for the record, that I don't think Jim Lee's art isn't good. It just doesn't have any soul or depth to it, whatsoever. While Superman in his stories always looks cool and muscular and detailed, he also doesn't look any different from Bruce Wayne, except for the fact that he has an S-Curl and messier hair. Also, there's only three emotions Jim Lee can draw: angry, angrier, sad and smirking.

While Frank Quitely (and Gary Franks for that matter) produces art that has its creaks and flaws, these same imperfections really make it shine.

Let me state for the record, that I don't think Jim Lee's art isn't good.

Agreed. It works pretty well in All-Star Batman. But that's a different book, written differently with a different tone.

Agreed. It works pretty well in All-Star Batman. But that's a different book, written differently with a different tone.

The words 'All-Star Batman' and 'works' don't really belong in the same sentence unless it's "Frank Miller works really hard to make sure All-Star Batman is more and more ridiculous every time it goes to print."

Jim Lee's art is actually just one of the many things I hate about All-Star Batman.

The words 'All-Star Batman' and 'works' don't really belong in the same sentence unless it's "Frank Miller works really hard to make sure All-Star Batman is more and more ridiculous every time it goes to print."

Jim Lee's art is actually just one of the many things I hate about All-Star Batman.

All Star Batman is great. You're obviously out of your mind. Read it as a whacked-out interquel of Year One and TDK Returns. Read it as an in-joke to Miller's earlier works. Read it as obviously ridiculing certain other comic writers.

Just try not to take it so seriously, and I think you'll start to enjoy it. Is it ridiculous? Sure. So are most of Miller's other stories in some senses. Why should this one be any different, except perhaps in the amount of down-right ridiculousness? Again, its intentional and serves a purpose.

Of course, overall, All Star Superman is hands-down a better title, overall and issue by issue. But AS Batman & Robin is a worthy title in its own right.

Latest posts

Back