All-Star Superman Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

John Q. Public said:
Back a little bit on topic, one of the more original angles on this take on Supes is how he's a man of few words. No pontificating. Very terse. The brainy guy goes "I don't know how I should tell you this," and he says "just give it to me straight." Sort of Clint Eastwood in a cape.

And there's no emotional soul-searching when he gets the news. Gives the impression he's a very tough, taciturn character. No wasted words. Overall, in fact, there's an economy in the dialogue in general that's a nice break from the usual stuff. Like that Kevin Smith preview of the Black Cat thing. Blah, blah, blah.

That's encouraging. I really have to pick this up.

fnord said:
This saved the All-Star line.

This makes me want to read Superman Comics, and i HATE Superman comics.

Best Superman Evor.

Another good review. So does this book deserve "Best Title of 2005"?

By the way, when's the second issue come out? In a few weeks?

Doc Comic said:
I won't even try to decipher that.
All Star Batman And Robin The Boy Wonder, I guess it could be ASBRBW, but that really isn't that much better. I guess it could be ASBR.
And, :rockon::rockon::rockon:Welcome fnord!!!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Last edited:
randomthoughts said:
Picked this up, put it down, read an issue of USM which actually has something relevant to say.

And what, pray tell, was this relevant message?

I have a feeling that it was "beard".

Ultimate E said:
No offense, but I can't imagine needing a story to mean something to enjoy it.

Right. Randomthoughts and Ultimate E are on my "to punch" list.

As to the 'message' of All-Star Superman - we've read 1 issue and the meaning of the total series is not fully apparent. That said, I think it's quite possible what the meaning of this story is going to be - "Everyone can be saved".

Bass said:
randomthoughts said:
Picked this up, put it down, read an issue of USM which actually has something relevant to say.
And what, pray tell, was this relevant message?

I have a feeling that it was "beard".
UltimateE said:
No offense, but I can't imagine needing a story to mean something to enjoy it.
Right. Randomthoughts and Ultimate E are on my "to punch" list.
What did E do? It sounded like he was backing up ***.

Last edited:
Bass said:
As to the 'message' of All-Star Superman - we've read 1 issue and the meaning of the total series is not fully apparent. That said, I think it's quite possible what the meaning of this story is going to be - "Everyone can be saved".

I could definitely buy that as the meaning for the title. I mean, after all, what is the number-one, ever-present defining aspect of Superman and the mythos?

Superman always saves the day.

I'm a bit peeved, because my local shop was sold out of AS Superman. Oh well. The good news is I'm heading down to West Palm Beach to visit some friends and my ex, so I'll stop at the one down there and they should still have it (its a much bigger store with a much bigger order list). Too bad I'll miss tonight's Lost, but I'll DL it and catch it later.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm breaking into DC I guess. My cousin/roommate's hounding me to get a Superman comic. So I'm gonna pick this up. What have I missed out on? How many issues so far? and what seems to be the scenerio?

#1 came out two weeks ago. That is all.

Latest posts

Back