All-Star Superman Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

marvelman

The first issue was released today.

This is one of the most visually stunning comics I have ever seen. The colors are so incredibly brilliant. Frank Quitely is on top of his game, and his Clark Kent is something to behold. His Superman is also quite incredible. But its really the colors that stand out here.

The story is also incredible; Morrison really captures the feel of what Superman is. The only gripe is that if I found out I was dying, I'd be devastated. I didn't catch that vibe.

4.5/5.

I'm definitely collecting the rest of this mini.

Last edited:
Re: All-Star Superman Discussion Thread

Yes, as it were, Superman goes to save this space mission that Luthor funded that is trying to collect fire of the sun. When there, he absorbs too much radiation, and so his cells are starting to explode at a faster rate than he can regenerate them. And it was all Luthor's fault!!

Last edited:
This was even better than I was hoping.:D

So many great moments: Superman flying over the sun, the sheer craziness of Dr. Quintum's experiments, the scene where Clark is trying to get to the Daily Planet in time, the Luthor arrest scene, and Clark telling Lois his secret.

...Actually, I think that pretty much the entire issue. And Quitely's art kicks 10 levels of ***. I looked at a picture of Clark and I looked at a picture of Superman, and I can honestly say that if I met them in real life I wouldn't be able to tell they're the same person.

Ya know how I know this series is awesome? I've read the issue once and now I'm just as excited about reading it again as I was the first time.:D

The hyper-radiation thing is cool - I was wondering what they were going to do. And making Luthor behind it - cool idea.

The art is great. I really like Quitely; I loved his work on New X-men. But yeah, the coloring is absolutely beautiful here. I totally agree that this is one of the most visually stunning books I've seen in a long time.

It definitely exceeded my expectations. I was expecting something good but this is a great start and lays some groundwork for a great story.

4.5/5

Bass had a heart attack from the pure enjoyment of this book.

Clark is actually an interesting character, and not just Superman with Glasses!!

I mean... HELL YES!

This is Superman.

5/5

(and Luthor is amazing)

You know what I loved? All the little saves in the book.
The little kid and his dog. The man with the falling object. Those are what did it for me.
Even as Clark, when he's apparently about to come clean with Lois, can't stop helping people. Its perfect.

Why can't the regular monthlies tell superman stories like this? Simple well done stories about someone whos trying to help as much as possible.

Baxter said:
Why can't the regular monthlies tell superman stories like this? Simple well done stories about someone whos trying to help as much as possible.

Or regular ANY book for that matter. Reading this, you can tell that every issue is going to be epic, no filler. Every issue means something. Just like Ultimates 2, except even moreso. I love that.

UltimateE said:
Or regular ANY book for that matter. Reading this, you can tell that every issue is going to be epic, no filler. Every issue means something. Just like Ultimates 2, except even moreso. I love that.
Aye. Aye...

Aye.

Well, I feel like a grand idiot now for not asking my LCS to put this on my pull list.

Based on the overwhleming praise, it's safe to assume this series reads perfectly well in single issues, yes?

compound said:
Well, I feel like a grand idiot now for not asking my LCS to put this on my pull list.

Based on the overwhleming praise, it's safe to assume this series reads perfectly well in single issues, yes?
Aye. Aye...

Aye.

Who is Leo Quintum? And the bio-bomb guy - is that an existing character or is it new here?

I got it today and I've read it five times.

Not one page or panel was wasted.

It was super.

Absolutely fantastic issue. Great story and great art. I'm going to go re-read my New X-Men now until the next one comes out. :D

This is said often, but this was truly timeless. Very nicely done. The neatest trick is you can slip this story into any Superman timeline, and probably fix what went before.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back