All Star Superman to be adapted for DC Animated Movie

Re: All Star Superman DTV

Well, it looks like my theory is right: they took out all the bits that made All Star Superman so special and turned it into another Superman vs. Luthor fight. :(

A comment on another forum nailed it: they took the wonder and fantasy out of it and made it boring and dark.

Last edited:
Re: All Star Superman DTV

A comment on another forum nailed it: they took the wonder and fantasy out of it and made it boring and dark.

Bingo, unfortunately.

It was too soon to make this movie and expectations were always going to be astronomically high. Part of what I liked about the DTVs so far is how they picked smaller, less-cherished stories (like The New Frontier and Under the Red Hood) and adapted them, rather than tackling the bigger stuff. Now they're just going for the gold with every production (including Batman: Year One which I'm anticipating and dreading at the same time).

Superman: Birthright would have been heartbreakingly perfect to adapt because it's practically a movie, anyway and it has a much smaller fanbase than All-Star. Everything about All-Star Superman is a comic book designed to exploit the strengths of that particular medium. Just like Watchmen was. It just doesn't work as well when the pictures are moving fast and you can't carefully ponder each nook and cranny of the artwork and the dialogue.

One other thing is that every time Bruce Timm uses Superman for anything, it's like he's afraid to explore the kitschier, more heartfelt aspects of the character (which All-Star exploited in spades, like for example the bit with the suicidal emo-girl). Everything Timm does with Superman has to be cool and badass and heat visionz and explosions. There's no time for low-key moments of uplifting heroism because the kids at home want punchings. Just a thought.

Diedrich Bader totally should have been Superman for this, as well. Listen to him on The Zeta Project and you'll agree with me.

Last edited:
I think it's hysterical that the trailer music is such a total rip-off of INCEPTION's. Watch the trailer and listen to the music, then watch this.

[video=youtube;66TuSJo4dZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TuSJo4dZM[/video]

As other's have said - the trailer focuses on the worst parts of the comic; Superman's 'death' and sacrifice nonsense, and as others have said, turns it dark and maudlin.

Maybe it'll work, but I think it'll just be like SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY which was also crap. And JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS. And PUBLIC ENEMIES.

The track record for these guys has been very poor.

I miss Justice League Unlimited.

Hold me, Bass.

I think it's hysterical that the trailer music is such a total rip-off of INCEPTION's. Watch the trailer and listen to the music, then watch this.

Actually I notice after Inception came out there were a lot of commercial using the same thing. I'm certain Piranhas 3D did that.

Yeah...there is nothing fun and endearing about that. It looks like the trailers for just about every other animated DC movie.

Very disappointing.

[video]http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/581723/bruce-timm-talks-all-star-superman.jhtml[/video]

He clearly knows it's not going to be that close to the comics.

So, it occurs to me; one of the reasons the title was ALL-STAR SUPERMAN was because the people making it were "stars": Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely (Frank Miller and Jim Lee were also "stars").

ERGO! The cartoon should be just as starry. Now, maybe one could say the cast is full of "stars" (it kinda is), but Bruce Timm, as wonderful as he is, isn't a star. They should've got a star director and a star writer, with star actors, thus making it... All-Star. As it is, in just ain't!

META FAIL.

So, it occurs to me; one of the reasons the title was ALL-STAR SUPERMAN was because the people making it were "stars": Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely (Frank Miller and Jim Lee were also "stars").

ERGO! The cartoon should be just as starry. Now, maybe one could say the cast is full of "stars" (it kinda is), but Bruce Timm, as wonderful as he is, isn't a star. They should've got a star director and a star writer, with star actors, thus making it... All-Star. As it is, in just ain't!

META FAIL.

Studio Ghibli should be producing it.

In their respective fields. Quitely is a bigger name in comics than Timm is in movies. Ironically, Timm is a bigger name in comics than Quitely.

Also, I would love a Studio Ghibli Superman.

Latest posts

Back