Spider-Man Amazing Spider-Man "New Ways to Die" discussion (#568-573) (spoilers)

ultimatedjf

I'm still geeking out over Part 1 of "New Ways to Die". Slott and Romita Jr.; can't get any better than that. (Sorry, but I like JRjr.) I hope the quality of Brand New Day will be permanently raised after this arc, 'cuz I can't imagine it going back to new villains every month like it has been all year. Don't get me wrong, I've loved Brand New Day -- except for Freak -- but this new arc looks to be so awesome that I hope it continues to be like this long after the arc is over.

One thing I do not get: so Mr. Negative touches someone, then they're healed 100%. But the second time he touched Eddie, it looked like the opposite took into effect? (Hence, Eddie will be Anti-Venom?) So Martin Li is sort of like the Piemaker (Lee Pace on Pushing Daisies)?

4.5/5

(Not a full 5/5 because they just had to retell Spidey's origins for the 2,753rd time.)

Re: Amazing Spider-Man: Brand New Day (#546+) (Spoilers)

I'm still geeking out over Part 1 of "New Ways to Die". Slott and Romita Jr.; can't get any better than that. (Sorry, but I like JRjr.) I hope the quality of Brand New Day will be permanently raised after this arc, 'cuz I can't imagine it going back to new villains every month like it has been all year. Don't get me wrong, I've loved Brand New Day -- except for Freak -- but this new arc looks to be so awesome that I hope it continues to be like this long after the arc is over.

One thing I do not get: so Mr. Negative touches someone, then they're healed 100%. But the second time he touched Eddie, it looked like the opposite took into effect? (Hence, Eddie will be Anti-Venom?) So Martin Li is sort of like the Piemaker (Lee Pace on Pushing Daisies)?

4.5/5

(Not a full 5/5 because they just had to retell Spidey's origins for the 2,753rd time.)
Agreed word for word. I could not agree more nor have said it better myself. Totally loved this issue.

Mark Waid's story was cool as was Granov's art, too.

Last edited:

This was a very good issue

yes the retelling the origin again was bogus

and the Eddie back-up with Granov's art was fan-freaking tastic, the best thing I've seen from Granov since his run of Nova covers, and the story was great too,

I hope BND can keep up this level of quality, I haven't been a fan of this new direction, but this was great

Doesn't "new ways to die" warrant its own thread, as it's a new arc with a new name? They've finally taken "brand new day" of the covers...

Doesn't "new ways to die" warrant its own thread, as it's a new arc with a new name? They've finally taken "brand new day" of the covers...

Done - thanks.

The first page of this issue hurts my brain. I've never read spiderman, but because everyone seemed to like this issue I picked it up. I didnt read OMD but I thought Peter didnt remember it happening either...

But one the first page Peter says he remembers Osbourne knowing his identity and losing that knowledge. So Peter does remember OMD? huh?

Also, I thought Venom knew who he was even Pre-OMD. His mind get wiped on OMD as well?

But one the first page Peter says he remembers Osbourne knowing his identity and losing that knowledge. So Peter does remember OMD? huh?

I think the official thing is that nobody remembers anything about the marriage.

The first page of this issue hurts my brain. I've never read spiderman, but because everyone seemed to like this issue I picked it up. I didnt read OMD but I thought Peter didnt remember it happening either...

Also, I thought Venom knew who he was even Pre-OMD. His mind get wiped on OMD as well?

No, since apparently Mephisto didn't cause the mindwipe. Since everything still happened only without the marriage my guess is May still got shot but recovered and after that scare he decided to ask Doc strange(or someone) to make people forget his ID. I'm guessing anyway.

No, since apparently Mephisto didn't cause the mindwipe. Since everything still happened only without the marriage my guess is May still got shot but recovered and after that scare he decided to ask Doc strange(or someone) to make people forget his ID. I'm guessing anyway.

What the...? Seriously? This sounds absolutely terrible.

What the...? Seriously? This sounds absolutely terrible.

Which of course means it's the likely outcome. Really though, apparently he doesn't remember the deal but he knows Gobby used to know who he was which i'm guessing he mindwiped everyone during the time gap.

I would be completely fine with One More Day/Brand New Day if someone applied logic to the outcome of the mindwipe. I don't know why the writers/editors didn't come up with a list of people who wouldn't be effected by the mindwipe (people who learned his identity before his marriage etc.) Is it really that hard and/or confusing to new readers if some people know his identity and some don't? It could also have been used as a great twist if Peter thought no one knew his identity and then the Green Goblin returned and kept hinting that he still knew this knowledge.

Bah. It's not magic and they should have explained it.

Man I wanted to like this issue, but all the contrived BND-isms that kept popping up made my brain hurt.

also if Wacker ever reads this it's the S.H.R.A. not the S.R.A. get it straight your an editor.

p.s., Harry is so obviously Menace, I don't think they could have given it away in a more ham-fisted way.

Man I wanted to like this issue, but all the contrived BND-isms that kept popping up made my brain hurt.

also if Wacker ever reads this it's the S.H.R.A. not the S.R.A. get it straight your an editor.

p.s., Harry is so obviously Menace, I don't think they could have given it away in a more ham-fisted way.

I don't think he's Harry since menace is super Model.

I think anyway, I only vaguely remember him mentioning something about modeling when he first showed up.

The new issue just confused me. So now the Granov/Waid story took place after Part 1 of "New Ways to Die"? I thought in Part 1 Eddie was already completely healed, and by Li touching him, led him to become Anti-Venom. :?
Hmm.
Also, are they trying to tell us that Harry's Menace? The glowing eyes thing made it pretty obvious that he's still some kind of villain; I doubt that was just a little touch made by Romita to show his anger.
I think I'll read this one again, and see if it makes more sense. I ended up buying the (awesome) variant for this issue because all the copies of the regular cover were slightly damaged.

Part 2 (after first reading) : 3.5/5 :(

I always assumed that the Waid/Granov took place after NWtD part 1.

But in Part 1, didn't Martin Li say that Eddie's cancer was (already) completely gone, or did I misread it? His cancer goes away in the backup story, and I assume that it was because of Li's touch. But if that's so, and the backup story does take place after Part 1, then how do you explain Eddie becoming Anti-Venom in Part 2? Is it because of the Negative particles Li put into Eddie's body?

Latest posts

Back