Astonishing X-Men discussion (spoilers)

Spoiler Time Astonishing X-Men #16 Discussion

Wow, great issue, Whotf is white and why is she different from Emma??? Wolvie was adorable but I know something bad was gonna happen. Lol to the leg eating. What are they trying to bust open? And didn't see Colossus being the destroyer of worlds coming. Whedon is a new fav.

Re: Spoiler Time Astonishing X-Men #16 Discussion

Ultimate Houde said:
Th ediscussion for the series should go in this thread here

If mods could combine them, that would be great

Thank you, you evil little scientist man, you.

Re: Astonishing X-Men - series discussion (spoilers)

thought the issue was good. the colossus thing was a surprise. the identity of perfection was not. nor will i think that anyone will be surprised. i'd say ... what? 75% of readers probably had her down as 1st or second choice. Either it's a red-herring, or we're in for some fantastic retconning.

kitty is badass. and sexy. seriously the perfect woman. SHE HAS A DRAGON!

I was a little dissapointed by this... Astonshing is still the best x-book out there right now (sorry Kirkman... I like UXM, but this is better), but this was a weak issue compared to past ones.

The White Queen/Emma thing better have a good explanation... I dont want to see a massive retcon.

Ultimate MJ said:
I was a little dissapointed by this... Astonshing is still the best x-book out there right now (sorry Kirkman... I like UXM, but this is better), but this was a weak issue compared to past ones.

Oh man, I didn't think so at all. Ice Queen? The destroyer of the Breakworld identified? No, this issue was pretty full.

I'm really starting to like Kitty. I like when a writer is able to make me care about a character that I couldn't give a crap about before. She's level-headed and cool under pressure, and she's about to save the world. 8)

I like this book because it's not nearly as X-Men-y as other x-books, but I have to say that having "Danger" (God I hate that character) piloting the ship was dumb. It just looked stupid.

Other than that - 4.9/5

it did. especially with her at the controls, while she could just mentally control it. but she needs to be there to tie everything together, as i'm sure it sloppily will be.

if i sound negative, its just because i don't see all the arcs melding together that well... if it wasn't for SWORD being around, you'd forget Ord existed. Etc.

I can't take it anymore. I can no longer hold my peace.

I don't really like this book.

There....I said it. I know that makes me the lone gunman here...but I just can't get into it. It's good. Real good. I acknowledge that much. But just because it's good don't mean I gotta like it. God I'm gonna catch hell for saying all that..... :oops:

With that said---the issue was pretty solid.

And I don't like Cassaday's art. I am soooo gonna burn for this.

Last edited:

Cassaday's art is much better in Planetary than this. Probably because he has more time to do the pencils in that book.

I'm not sure if I like Astonishing X-Men. The characters are great, but I can't get into the stories.

I think what Doom is trying to say is that it's a well written book, but it needs a better story. I agree to a degree, but I think this is going to tie into a larger arc very well. Danger showing up was pretty hokey, but I got over it.

Kitty's a bad *** chick. The thing that really bugged me is that if Xavier locked something up so that X-Men like Colossus and Beast couldn't get in why couldn't he prevent Kitty from getting in. The thing could easily be given an energy shield to prevent her.

ProjectX2 said:
Cassaday's art is much better in Planetary than this. Probably because he has more time to do the pencils in that book.

I'm not sure if I like Astonishing X-Men. The characters are great, but I can't get into the stories.

MaxwellSmart said:
I think what Doom is trying to say is that it's a well written book, but it needs a better story. I agree to a degree, but I think this is going to tie into a larger arc very well. Danger showing up was pretty hokey, but I got over it.

I think the biggest thing that bugs me about this title is the fact that it reads like an episode of Buffy or Angel. And that'd be ok....if it were like 1999. But this stuff just feels dated (for lack of a better term). I wanna like this......but I just can't.

I know all the stuff is supposed to play into bigger arc(s)......but nothing feels like its happening in the book.

I really wish I could explain this better.

Last edited:

Victor Von Doom said:
I think the biggest thing that bugs me about this title is the fact that it reads like an episode of Buffy or Angel. And that'd be ok....if it were like 1999. But this stuff just feels dated (for lack of a better term). I wanna like this......but I just can't.

I know all the stuff is supposed to play into bigger arc(s)......but nothing feels like its happening in the book.

I am with you, too a degree. Whedon's cruising, as well as blatantly ripping off parts of Buffy that even someone like me who's barely even seen two whole episodes, can pick up.

It's good but it seems better when compared to the majority of the X-franchise at the moment. I do say this having not yet read any of Kirkman's run.

Victor Von Doom said:

I get what you mean except I would say this read more intelligently than Buffy or Angel, which I watch almost all of in syndication.

I thought it was good, took too long to come out and I hope the next one comes out next month. I'm thinking Kitty will die at the hands of Ord and colossus will follow him to the breakworld and destroy it all.

Victor Von Doom said:
I think the biggest thing that bugs me about this title is the fact that it reads like an episode of Buffy or Angel.

I'm glad I've never seen either of those shows to be able to make that comparison.

But I do get what you're saying. The Danger arc felt like that to me, and I guess it has carried over a little bit. Maybe it has more to do with the bi-monthly thing. Things are happening - it's just that by the time it's time to read the next issue, you forget what those things are.

Hibiki said:
I thought it was good, took too long to come out and I hope the next one comes out next month. I'm thinking Kitty will die at the hands of Ord and colossus will follow him to the breakworld and destroy it all.
Then she would also have to come back to life by the end because she's around during Civil War. I don't know if I like the idea of a character dying and coming back to life in one arc.

Good issue. But what i dont understand is this: How is it that is is going on but the whole civil war thing is going on too? Didnt Emma just caught by O.N.E when she was saying goodbye to the 4 O.G X-Men who were looking for the 198? Now shes turning on them?

PuertoRock33 said:
Good issue. But what i dont understand is this: How is it that is is going on but the whole civil war thing is going on too? Didnt Emma just caught by O.N.E when she was saying goodbye to the 4 O.G X-Men who were looking for the 198? Now shes turning on them?
This happens in between Decimination and Civil War.

Latest posts

Back