Astonishing X-Men discussion (spoilers)

Re: Astonishing X-Men - series discussion (spoilers)

MaxwellSmart said:
This happens in between Decimination and Civil War.

Well then it should be interesting to see how Emma becomes headmistress of the school again when this is over...

Ultimate MJ said:
Well then it should be interesting to see how Emma becomes headmistress of the school again when this is over...

If anything...I'll give Whedon credit because he writes this smartly. He will have her cleared cleverly and no one will have any gripes as to how he does it.

Victor Von Doom said:
If anything...I'll give Whedon credit because he writes this smartly. He will have her cleared cleverly and no one will have any gripes as to how he does it.

I'm new to whedon, but I really dig his writing. My only complaint is the bi-monthly shipping because you have to read the previous comic right before reading the latest to refresh your memory. Which is wierd because I can't say the same for Ultimates.

Hibiki said:
I'm new to whedon, but I really dig his writing. My only complaint is the bi-monthly shipping because you have to read the previous comic right before reading the latest to refresh your memory. Which is wierd because I can't say the same for Ultimates.

That's because the badassness of the Ultimates leaves a mental imprint in your mind...never to be forgotten.

Prometheus said:
That's because the badassness of the Ultimates leaves a mental imprint in your mind...never to be forgotten.

Hahaha, I suppose. Welcome Prometheus. :D

Ultimate MJ said:

I know... They'll probably say her mind was being controlled.

PuertoRock33 said:
I know... They'll probably say her mind was being controlled.
If he did, that would totally be dropping the ball. He won't it'll be that she's waiting for the perfect moment to betray the Hellfire Club then everyone will believe her that she was just playing at being evil.

Maybe, but what about the fake tears from the last issue? And does she know about White Queen? Who is this dumb ***** anyway? I thought there could only be one. Like Highlander.

Victor Von Doom said:

Deffo. Joss knows how to twist out a long reaching plot. You just have to watch Angel to know that, most notably the whole Connor/Jasmine storyline, which took 2-3 seasons to fully mature. He knows how to throw the curveballs though, I never saw Peter being the destroyer of the breakworld, that was a fantastic reveal! It was mentioned before that AXM reads like an ep of Buffy/Angel. I, being an obsessive Buffy fanatic, have to say I love that feel to it.

i dont think the colossus breakworld thing will happen. i doubt they are going to do Planet Colossus, it would be extremely unoriginal.

also, Kitty won't die, as she's in the next arc.

also, i do hope he doesn't retcon White Queen. that'd piss me off, because i like morrisonian

also, Cyclops isn't going to need goggles for the next arc, but something better happen to his noggin so he loses control again. it's like... the biggest part of his character.

iceman said:
also, Cyclops isn't going to need goggles for the next arc, but something better happen to his noggin so he loses control again. it's like... the biggest part of his character.

You say that Cyclops isnt gonna need his goggles? Well if this is tru he's gonna be a completely different character... possibly the type of guy that Jean wanted him to be at the end of teh Morrison Arc... more out going and sadly more like wolverine. :cry:

well idk if the series will end like that. what i do know, though, is that the cover for the first issue after all this hellfire nonsense shows him without goggles.

The whole thing with Cyclops not needing his visor is moot. Continuity-wise, Astonishing takes place before all the Civil War stuff and subsequent tie-ins. So at some point Marvel obviously has to have Whedon work in Cyke needing the visors again.

So the revelation or huge event of this is bogged down by continuity. It's the Gah Lak Tus of the book. Huge event...but because of continuity it lacks the umph.

I just reread Astonishing X-Men number 16 and i just wanted to say that kitty pryde has finally earned her balls in the X-Men books... I mean standing up to emma in the previous issues were cool but when she threatened to solidify her head in the wall... no word can express what i felt but maybe one of these lil' faces on the side can... lets see... ah... this should do... :shock:. Kitty's next victim is gonna be She-Hulk for sure... and that green broad doesnt stand a chance... place your bets now.

Last edited:

Did no one else think that since Emma ****ed with Scott's head, his powers may be out of whack, and that's why he doesn't have googles on, his powers simply ain't working like they suppose to?

If that's possible (and it's fully possible mind you) it will create a small little logical error here.

If a telepath could do that....why didn't Professor Xavier or Jean not do this to him earlier? It's cheaper (come on ruby quarts visor, goggles, and sunglasses have to cost a pretty penny), it's safer, and he feels better about himself.

It's not a terrrible logic hole...just begs asking why not earlier.

Well, it gets rid of his mutant power, so that's probably why they didn't do it....

And since when did X-men care about a plot hole, their history is full of them.

Plus, it's only a theory, much like the other ones people have put forth

Ultimate Houde said:
Did no one else think that since Emma ****ed with Scott's head, his powers may be out of whack, and that's why he doesn't have googles on, his powers simply ain't working like they suppose to?
I think the thing with cyclops not being able to control it came from when he parachuted after his parent plane went down. He hit his head on landing damaging the part of his brain that would control his power, so he would actually need brain surgery and a surgen that knows what part of the brain is damage and how to fix it

Yeah it's just a theory and point X-Books don't care about plot holes anyway.

And Random...yeah. That could work. That should work. They'll never do it, just like Cyke will go back to the visor soon anyway since he has them in Civil War like VvD said.

Or he... you know... figures out how to control them, but continues to wear the vizors just because of the tremendous effort it takes to do so.

Or he wears them because he thinks they're cool.

Latest posts

Back