Astonishing X-Men discussion (spoilers)

Re: Astonishing X-Men - series discussion (spoilers)

Excellent issue! The psychic flashback was excellently written, I really need to go back and see how it fits with original scene.

And the penultimate line in the comic sent tingles down my spine. Truly, the torch has been passed on.

Last edited:

Excellent issue! The psychic flashback was excellently written, I really need to go back and see how it fits with original scene.

And the penultimate line in the comic sent tingles down my spine. Truly, the torch has been passed on.

Hmm. I need to get this.

#23 SPOILERS

WOW. Awesome.

Scott has his powers back, he's got an incredible plan, and oh yeah the whole prophesy was completely fabricated.

This single issue has turned Scott Summers into one of the coolest X-Men. What a long way he has come just since the beginning of this series.

And Wolverine as a supporting character is great.

And Emma is so superbly written...such a cold hard *****.

4.9/5. Can't wait for #24.

no more pansy-clops?

It's so weird.

At the beginning of Grant Morrison's New X-Men, which is, of course, the very first X-Men story ever written (nothing before that counts because it was all crap), Scott was a pansy. Whiny, a crappy leader, etc. By the end of it he was a totally different character...yet, he wasn't. It was like there was a change happening in him, but all we got to see was that he was changing, not really and kind of end result.

Whedon has done an absolute masterful job of picking up where Morrison left off and developing Scott further. He has an actual personality now! He actually leads his team! He actually makes decisions, and they are good!

He has an actual personality now! He actually leads his team! He actually makes decisions, and they are good!

That's how I always picture Cyclops, it pisses me off when a writer takes the pansy approach

Great issue. I'm really starting to like Hisako. Can't wait till she inevitably joins New X-Men, but it'd be even better if she stays on the Astonishing team. Cyclops kicking *** was awesome.

Good stuff.

Last edited:

Everyone's forgeting the best line.

"When we get back to Earth, you're demoted to Excalisuck or some damn team."

"EXCALISUCK!"

:lol:

It's so weird.

At the beginning of Grant Morrison's New X-Men, which is, of course, the very first X-Men story ever written (nothing before that counts because it was all crap), Scott was a pansy. Whiny, a crappy leader, etc. By the end of it he was a totally different character...yet, he wasn't. It was like there was a change happening in him, but all we got to see was that he was changing, not really and kind of end result.

Whedon has done an absolute masterful job of picking up where Morrison left off and developing Scott further. He has an actual personality now! He actually leads his team! He actually makes decisions, and they are good!

yeah, not really complaining as it was meant to jest. I've been enjoying this whole run with whedon. Regardless of who hates it, this is just the greatest thing ever and one of the few marvel titles that i actually still have in my pull list. and i guess this explains scotts return and it's probly safe to say he isn't a skrull. i'm glad cyclops has developed so well and as much as i think emma is a ***** that's exactly what she is and it's good. And kitty, probably my favorite female xman, is just awesome in all this as well. Wolvie's great in his own right, but he really does work best as a supporting character.

Excalisuck. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wolverine and Hisako has the best scenes.

The final page was very chilling. "To me my X-men."

Oh yes. This rules.

Review from Newsarama:

The thing that I like most about the Whedon/Cassaday run on Astonishing X-Men--aside from the beautiful John Cassaday artwork and Joss Whedon's spot-on, loving characterization--is the fact that Whedon has made me like Cyclops for the first time in my 20+ years as a comic book reader. I've always hated Scott Summers. He's bland and uptight, and I've always thought Storm was a much better leader. Besides that, the guy's a total dick. Reach back into your long boxes, true believers, and you'll see what I mean.

To wit: At one point during the Claremont/Byrne run, the X-Men were lost in the Savage Land, with Cyke believing his longtime girlfriend, Jean Grey, was dead. Shortly thereafter, Summers meets Colleen Wing, and immediately tries hooking up with her. Once he discovers that Jean is in fact alive, Cyclops dumps Wing and runs back to his girlfriend. Shortly after, Jean, having been driven mad by her Phoenix powers, dies in battle on the moon. Her body is barely in the ground when Scott quits the X-Men and gets a job working on a fishing boat captained by a hot blonde named Lee Forrester. Guess what happens next? Scott becomes romantically involved with Forrester for a brief time. (So much for mourning, eh Slim?) (And yes, I know, it wasn't really Jean who died. Shut up.) It gets worse from there, in a "segment on Maury Povich" kind of way, as Scott later meets Madelyne Pryor, a woman he soon marries solely because she looks exactly like his dead girlfriend, Jean. They have a baby together, but as soon as the little rugrat is born, it is revealed that Jean Grey is alive. So what does Scotty do? He abandons his wife and newborn son and runs back to Jean. The two eventually marry, and live happily together for a few years, until Cyclops merges with archvillain Apocalypse and goes missing for a while. (Don't ask. It's a long story.) Cyclops is soon found and freed from Apocalypse, and returns to his wife, though he becomes distant from her. So distant, in fact, that he becomes involved in a psychic affair with fellow X-Man Emma Frost. Cyclops would claim that his emotional detachment from Jean was caused by the impact of having his personality merged with the purely evil Apocalypse, but really, he was just being a dick.

But in Astonishing X-Men, Whedon has taken great care to develop Cyclops to his full potential, revealing that his inability to control his optic blasts stems from a subconscious need to feel in control of something following the loss of both his parents during his childhood. It's an ironic and interesting twist that finally gave me a reason to sympathize with a character that had until that point been largely unsympathetic.

This issue is what really made me a fan of Cyclops. Last issue, as the X-Men fought in deep space to keep both the Breakworld and Earth from being obliterated, Cyke sacrificed himself in order to give his teammates a chance to escape alien despot Kruun's forces. As this issue opens, Cyclops has been brought back to life by Kruun and is being tortured for information about the X-Men's mysterious secret weapon, Leviathan. Ater a few moments of intense torture, Cyclops becomes a total badass, revealing to Kruun that Leviathan is merely a ruse, and that his noble sacrifice last issue was simply a way of getting up close and personal with Kruun. Cyclops then proceeds to blast the holy hell out of Kruun with his optic blasts (which had been inactive for a while), and, on the final page, in an image that rivals (if not surpasses) the much-heralded scene of a pissed off Wolverine swearing vengeance against the Hellfire Club at the end of Uncanny X-Men #133, stands tall over his battered foe and rallies the troops for next issue's climactic battle. It's one of the best sequences in a series full of great moments, thanks to clever plotting by Whedon and intensely dramatic visuals by Cassaday, and if it doesn't get you excited about the next issue, you probably shouldn't be reading X-Men comics.

It's crazy how reading the last paragraph gave me chills once again at the awesomeness of the last scene/page.

:rockon:

and if it doesn't get you excited about the next issue, you probably shouldn't be reading X-Men comics.

Or any comics. Seriously, this is what comics are about.

It's so weird.

I know. It's like... it's a sequel. It just continues from Morrison's run. And it's the bestest X-comic right now and it seems, the only one that follows from Morrison's now almost completely retconned run.

Everyone's forgeting the best line.

"When we get back to Earth, you're demoted to Excalisuck or some damn team."

Indeed! I loved that. I also loved the bit where Kitty yells "I object!" and all the super serious planning becomes Wolverine trying not to crack up and Cyke getting out of there as quick as he can because of her sucky acting.

And there was that whole "How could you have known what we were doing unless oh my god did you have a camera on your ship we stole?" That line makes me think Cyclops is meant to be played by Alan Tudyk.

What brilliant writing.

The final page was very chilling. "To me my X-men."

Oh yes. This rules.

It totally does. :rockon:

Y'know, I've not wanted to go back and read X-comics so quickly since... since the Xorn reveal in PLANET X.

This was an awesome issue.

Sniff.

I geeked out so much I had to call Laura and gush at her.

"WHAT OTHER LIES HAVE YOU TOLD?!"

Kruun is the finest new X-villain I've read in... 10 years I think. He's brilliantly realised.

Also - "It's absurdly specific". The prophecy is a PLAN. How ****ing super cool.

This is the reason I buy comics. ****ing awesome issue. YES YES YES!

5/5 Tafts mutha ****er!

Yes to everything Bass has posted.

Brilliant writing indeed!

Chilling cliffhanger indeed!!

AWESOMETASTIC brilliant issue indeed!!!

Thanks Whedon. Thanks Cassaday. Thanks to everyone who made this issue possible!

*Walks off with award*

HEY! That's not your award! No Tafty for you!

Last edited:

Finally read #23....

One of, if not THE best superhero comics I'm reading right now. If you're reading 616 Marvel and following any X books and not reading Astonishing...........then you are wrong and I want you off Ultimate Central right now because nothing you say about comics will ever been valid again.

And I agree with everything said here about Cyclops. He has gone from total bland dick.....to one of the coolest leaders and characters in the X books. And him having control of his powers sans visor? Wicked. The "To Me, My X-Men." line was a fantastic throwback.

I'm really wishing Hisako would stay on the vet team. Rookie or not...no matter how you got on the team---you cut your teeth with the legends....you deserve a spot. Her interaction with Logan is brilliant. Logan as the fustrated mentor is just so him. Excalisuck. :lol:

And it's been said many times before....but Whedon's characterization of these people is so serendipidous. It's fate. They always should've been written like this. What Whedon realizes and so perfectly conveys is that these people are family. Not just teammates...but a living functional family. From Scott's fatherly love for his crew to Logan's big brother tough love. All of it is needed.

I love you Whedon.

10/5

I'm not sure is Cyke can control his powers.

Look at the splash page this way: Imagine if you're looking at Cyke from the sky, through the optic blast.

That would make everything red, yeah?

The entire splash is red. I'm thinking he's still shooting his beam into the sky, and we're looking at him through the beam...

Latest posts

Back