Drunken Pickle said:
Looks like the alien army is confirmed to be * SPOILER *

New clip, too!
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSYYVdbYlZE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You'll notice how the footage keeps getting more layers. We've seen Thor hammer-time a car, but before there were no aliens. Now there's dozens with rifles. If you look at the shot of Hawkeye sliding past a laser beam, before nothing was behind him. Then there was some alien dudes. Now Black Widow is also there shooting some other aliens. Apparently the big manhattan fight is the end of the film and a huge 30 minute fight and judging from how much stuff seems to be added it should be much bigger and intense than the trailers have let on. Good.

And yet Whedon himself said they are "not the Kree or the Skrulls"

the Chitauri are the Skrull of 1610

QED it's not the Chitauri.

Having Magic + Tech + Aliens would be a horrific mess. I can't imagine why people would even think it's a good idea.

Rewatching the trailers and looking at the stills, I think I may reevaluate my thoughts on who the villain grunts are. I'm thinking they may not even be of the Outer Realms, and may just be Hydra.

Last edited:
And yet Whedon himself said they are "not the Kree or the Skrulls"

the Chitauri are the Skrull of 1610

QED it's not the Chitauri.

Having Magic + Tech + Aliens would be a horrific mess. I can't imagine why people would even think it's a good idea.

Rewatching the trailers and looking at the stills, I think I may reevaluate my thoughts on who the villain grunts are. I'm thinking they may not even be of the Outer Realms, and may just be Hydra.

And Miller High Life is the champagne of beers, but it's not really champagne.

(It's better)

I'm not incredibly keen on the idea of them using aliens either, given how crowded with ideas the film already seems to be, but I can think of a few rationales as to why Marvel would use an alien race.

They think the use of creatures from pseudo-Norse mythology would run contrary to the more sci-fi themes of Iron Man and possibly Cap, or they think the audience will find them less palatable antagonists. Having not seen Thor and thus not knowing how they approached the mythology, I can't really make a valid judgment.

They're introducing the aliens as set-up for future projects (i.e. the announced Guardians of the Galaxy, or a Secret Invasion influenced Avengers sequel). The second act of Iron Man 2 gives proof Marvel Studios is willing to sacrifice narrative flow and internal integrity for the sake of establishing cross-film continuity.

Or it's possible there's some hidden twist behind alien invaders that makes them the preferable fit for the story.

Regardless, I'd put my bets on the Chitauri. Call it intuition.

Except Soundgarden - I haven't heard the song yet and I'm crossing my fingers in hope that it's good. I loves me some Soundgarden.

Well you're in luck. itunes just added that song as a free download. You can listen to it now and judge it for yourself.

Last edited:
Well you're in luck. itunes just added that song as a free download. You can listen to it now and judge it for yourself.

Yep - got it this afternoon. It's pretty good. Nice to have some new Soundgarden. Matt Cameron's drums sound as good as ever.

I think it's hilarious that the Twilight movies of all possible media manage to have respectable soundtracks by indie artists while the new Avengers movie has a circa 2000 pop-metal/radio-post-grunge reunion tribute album.
yep thats exactly what'd be appropriate for the biggest selloutiest blockbusteriest movie ever

indie music

:roll:

yep thats exactly what'd be appropriate for the biggest selloutiest blockbusteriest movie ever

indie music

:roll:

My point is, Twilight (which is also a blockbuster sell-out of a movie) had a soundtrack that was current, thematically suited, and pretty decent.

I'm not expecting Bear in Heaven or Of Montreal on the Avengers soundtrack, but it would be nice to have a soundtrack not exclusively populated by artists that all stopped being relevant at least a decade ago.

I don't see why the music being current should matter as long as it's a good song, compliments the scene it's associated with, and ADDS to the movie. When the song was produced shouldnt amount to a hill of beans. Good music doesn't have an expiration date.

When Happy and Tony were boxing in Iron Man 2, The Magnificient Seven by The Clash was the perfect song for the scene, and it came out like 35 years ago. It's a fun song with a bassline that get's the adrenaline pumping, pretty much exactly like the scene set-out to do.

I don't see why the music being current should matter as long as it's a good song, compliments the scene it's associated with, and ADDS to the movie. When the song was produced shouldnt amount to a hill of beans. Good music doesn't have an expiration date.

When Happy and Tony were boxing in Iron Man 2, The Magnificient Seven by The Clash was the perfect song for the scene, and it came out like 35 years ago. It's a fun song with a bassline that get's the adrenaline pumping, pretty much exactly like the scene set-out to do.

No, plenty of movies have great soundtracks that suit the film and the scene. But these are dated bands who are almost uniformly terrible, putting out new music. There's a difference between digging through the back catalogs of good musicians to find the perfect material for a soundtrack as opposed to licensing bands past their prime (and I use that term loosely) to write new material for your movie.

To be fair, magic really wasn't a big part of Thor. I got the strong impression that in this universe Asgard is an alien planet or a world in a different dimension. I think even Thor says something along the lines of "you're ancestors called it magic, you call it science. Where I'm from they are one in the same". Red Skull says something similar to Dr. Zola. Regardless, I think they are doing a pretty good job of connecting magic with science and technology in these films.

Last edited:
To be fair, magic really wasn't a big part of Thor. I got the strong impression that in this universe Asgard is an alien planet or a world in a different dimension. I think even Thor says something along the lines of "you're ancestors called it magic, you call it science. Where I'm from they are one in the same". Red Skull says something similar to Dr. Zola. Regardless, I think they are doing a pretty good job of connecting magic with science and technology in these films.

Ugh. The whole "magic is science we don't understand yet" angle is so overplayed.

That said, it makes sense for the movie universe, I suppose.

I was just paraphrasing Whedon. He openly calls Loki "Magic" on several occasions in the interview.

Pretty major spoiler up on comicbookmovie.com (and youtube) I'm sorta bummed I watched it.

I'm not even posting the link. You guys can go look for yourselves if you want. But I advise against it.

Kevin Feige talks about a lot of Avengers stuff at the European Premiere. Confirms Chitauri

[video=youtube;O2nEz-AXmig]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2nEz-AXmig[/video]

Spoileriest spoiler yet. Hiddleston reveals the villain of Avengers 2!!!

AVENGERS EXCLUSIVE: Tom "Loki" Hiddleston

[video=youtube;kaMJojEuzm8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kaMJojEuzm8[/video]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back