Avengers vs X-Men (Spoilers)

It also helps to read the interviews with the editors on CBR. At times they clear up a lot of confusion.

Plus they have cool previews, too.

It also helps to read the interviews with the editors on CBR. At times they clear up a lot of confusion.

I don't think I've been confused at all, I just found it to have a horribly flawed premise and to be uninteresting.

E said:
I don't think I've been confused at all, I just found it to have a horribly flawed premise and to be uninteresting.

I didn't mean you specifically, I was just putting that out there in general.

I have no confusions either, but there are those who do, going by the reader questions submitted.

I was a little shocked that Cyke murdered Chuck... but not really. Scotty has been WILIN' OUT for like the last 5 years... So seeing him kill the professor wasn't that outta the way. He's really been going all the way in on that whole "my way or the highway" angle. How long are the "from the past" xmen supposed to be around anyway?

hmmm... damn. as much as he was a totall douche... i liked having a dickhead cyke and i REALLY liked having dead jean. my first inclination is to not like this... but seeing as i don't really care for any of those characters... i guess i'll just wait to see what the stories are like. i know i didn't like fantomex, until he was on uncanny xforce, 2 issues in and i was all in on him.

Check out the interviews with Bendis about the All-New X-Men series. You can see the passion he has and makes the series interesting and having you want to read it.

Check out the interviews with Bendis about the All-New X-Men series. You can see the passion he has and makes the series interesting and having you want to read it.

Doesn't do that for me.

I don't doubt for one second that Bendis feels passionate about the characters or books he writes. But that's not the issue. There are just some types of characters he doesn't write well.

He gets a lot of crap on this site specifically but the reality is that he's a very good writer. You can't write stuff like the current Ultimate Spider-Man, Alias, Daredevil, and even Scarlet and be a bad writer. The problem is that when he's bad he's REALLY BAD and doesn't seem to have the ability to know his strengths and say no to things that he doesn't do well.

I wonder, though, if Bendis considers his crappy stuff to be bad? I mean even if he knows it's not high quality story telling, maybe that's not what he's going for? Maybe Marvel comes to him and says, "Hey Bendis, can you write us another one of your popcorn crossovers? We're not looking for anything deep or intricate plot-wise or a character-driven story, just an action-packed crossover that will sell well." And then Bendis gives them exactly what they asked for.

I mean I've heard almost nothing good about AVX, but people are buying it and Marvel is making money. Marvel cares more about sales than what we post online. They've even said in the past that negative fan reaction is fine b/c it just shows that the fans are reading and care about what's happening.

So my theory is that Bendis writes the stories he cares about well and he churns out the rest of it simply b/c it's his job and Marvel pays him to do so.

Last edited:
Did this finish yet? I honestly can't remember.

i dug the ending of this series... i'm wondering what's going to happen now with cyke now that he's basically become magneto redux. they have him in special cell and everything. and he was trying to do was save his people.

It was a good event. I liked it for the most part. I wonder how Cyclops will escape seeing as in the December solicits he sees/goes up against his younger self in All-Nee X-Men. Plus, it's shown in a preview that he was fighting against regular cops.

It was stupid. This was basically a non event. What happened as a result of this story - the Phoenix wished itself out of existence? Cyclops got out in jail? So what?

Sorry, this was a huge turd.

It was stupid. This was basically a non event. What happened as a result of this story - the Phoenix wished itself out of existence? Cyclops got out in jail? So what?

Sorry, this was a huge turd.
The Phoenix didn't wish itself out of existence. With Hope having Wanda's power and doubling it, they were both powerful enough to break the phoenix and scatter it around the globe, and with doing that, people who were touched/hit/whatever you want to call it became mutants.

Cyclops isn't out of jail. He's still in custody, but a preview for All-New X-Men #1 has Beast looking at a video with Cyclops punching a cop, and going by the solicitation for ANXM #4, *I myself* am guessing that means Cyclops is out of jail.

So I just read this plus all the Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men, verses, and infinity tie ins.

It wasn't really terrible. It was just... bloated and over complicated. It didn't need to be 12 issues. If AVX had been 6 issues, it would have been better. If there had been two issues about the Avengers fighting the X-Men over Hope, then the Phoenix comes and Hope rejects it and Cyclops (alone) gets possessed and uses the power to reshape the world for two issues while the Avengers fight him and the X-Men follow him, but become more and more worried about where he's going. Then the Scarlet Witch shows up and they have a big battle with Phoenix-Cyclops, he turns into the dark Phoenix, they fight some more and the Scarlet Witch weakens him enough for Hope to absorb the Phoenix Force from him and then she lets it go so it resparks the mutant genome, Cyclops gets arrested, end of story.

All the Kun Lun/Iron Fist stuff and the Phoenix Five stuff was just filler. It was pointless and had no purpose except to make the story longer. The "phoenix prophecy" and Hope absorbing the iron fist power from the heart of Shou-Lao the Undying was useless. They could have used the Iron Fist stuff to explain that the phoenix was a force of order and the cycle of death and rebirth, which is the opposite of chaos and that's why Scarlet Witch and Hope were Yin & Yang, but they sort of glossed over that.

The absolute best part of the whole thing was Spider-Man training Hope and then proving what he meant by protecting the team from Colossus and Magik. That was a great Spidey moment. But then Spider-Man should have been the one to help Hope let go of the Phoenix Force at the end. (Maybe that's just b/c I'm a Spider-Man fan, but I thought that would have made sense).

Anyway. It wasn't a terrible story, it just was really clearly over-extended to make more money. Which I can't blame Marvel for, because it works for them, but it's frustrating.

also, this:

Wolverine was wearing a polar bear in Antarctica. A polar bear. In Antarctica.

This was a comic written by Jonathan Hickman. Avengers vs. X-Men is so dumb.

hahaha :lol:

Anyway. It wasn't a terrible story, it just was really clearly over-extended to make more money. Which I can't blame Marvel for, because it works for them, but it's frustrating.
"Clearly"? :?

I can see and understand about the story being too long and having filler moments, but saying that it was "clearly" done for money? Really? How is that clear and what makes it clear to you?

Latest posts

Back