Batman and Robin (Morrison/various) discussion

Re: Batman and Robin (Morrison/Quitely) discussion

So, I wrote a review of this issue for BleedingCool.com before I realized they had an approval process for the review team. I normally don't do this kind of thing but I feel like Tan gets a lot more criticism than he deserves for this book. Here it is.

Philip Tan has a tough act to follow. The first three issues of Batman and Robin paired Grant Morrison with Frank Quitely, a duo who's output has become near legendary over their sporadic decade of work together; and while Tan's art doesn't shine with the brilliant artistry and design aesthetic of his predecessor, his style is well suited to Morrison's story. The first arc of the title served as a pilot episode of sorts, providing a circus-themed gallery of henchmen which served as a counterpoint to the new Batman's history. High on style and light on exposition, the story established the relationship between the two leads and planted the seeds for a criminal conspiracy that looks to constitute the heart of the twelve issue series.
Batman and Robin #2 provides the second act of the second story, and the kinetic day-glo of Quitely's art is replaced with a style reminiscent of the grim-and-gritty 1990's mode. Tan exhibits an overabundance of line work and a more grotesque approach to character design. The pages are inked with long splashes of dark shadow, and while this may seem like a step backwards to a darker age of comic book design, it's perfectly suited to the script at hand. Morrison's script revels in the post-Frank Miller Batman aesthetic. From the conflict of vigilantes who kill and vigilantes who don't, to the horrific and bloody choice of villains, to the frequent cuts to mass media commentary, all the tropes will seem familiar and likely tired to a long-term Batman fan.
However, the issue thrives despite this, largely due to a clever wryness Morrison injects into the script. Jason Todd serves as the issue's principal antagonist, and for the first time since his reintroduction under Judd Winnick's watch, he shows signs of being a compelling character. Todd is characterized as a marketing disciple, a vigilante who understands the symbolism of the title character without truly following the heart of Batman's mission, a kid who hides behind meaningless slogans and flashy creeds. Even Todd's sidekick seems to recognize how insipid his mission statement is, and this weakness makes the character stronger. At the same time, it strengthens the menace of the larger villain, a Mexican kingpin who will surely become the recurring threat through the foreseeable length of Morrison's tenure. When the Flamingo, a character teased with foreshadowing that resembles Kaiser Soze in The Usual Suspects, finally appears mounted on a Harley and bedecked in purple, with a sniper rifle in one hand and a whip in the other, the issue reaches a satirical crescendo. Had these elements been played with a straight face the results would be abysmal, but Morrison's script plays fast and loose. The none-too-serious banter of Batman and Robin casts the proceedings through a surreal, big top lens, and the result seems both loving and critical of a grim era of Batman history. Rather than mire itself in the broodiness of the "grim avenger" aesthetic, the darkness of the storyline instead creates a counterpart to the sunnier dynamic duo, highlighting what makes the team of Dick and Damian so different from the past two decades of Batman tales. Smart dialogue and brisk pacing prevents the story from seeming too heavy and full of itself. At the same time, both Damian and Dick are forced to suffer consequences for their looser, more free wheeling style of crime fighting. Morrison plants seeds for both characters to grow as a team.
For readers who have been following through Morrison's earlier run on Batman, this series will seem like a natural extension of his earlier work. While the primary plot moves briskly through the story, small flourishes move the larger plot forward, establishing the current nature of Wayne Enterprises, the state of affairs in Gotham's underworld, and the impact of Bruce-as-Batman's disappearance. Batman's world is on a clear collision course towards the apocalyptic future teased in Batman 666. Further echoing Morrison's earlier run will be criticism of the art transition. In much the same way that Tony Daniel suffered from having to follow the brilliant JH Williams, Philip Tan will undoubtedly face criticism coming on the tail of Frank Quitely. But, like Daniel, Tan is providing art that's perfectly servicable given the nature of the story, and his work truly feels like an homage to the style of story being echoed.
This issue perfectly meets the standards set by the first four issues. The banter continues to be smart and offers plenty of substance to match the style of the first arc. The situation continues to escalate for Dick and Damian without sacrificing the lighter and breezier dynamic offered by the two new leads.

4 out of 5 stars

Last edited:

Just got issue five today and it was great. I enjoyed it a whole lot more than issue four. I liked how there was more of a focus on dialogue in this one, even if it wasn't necessarily all characterisation (I love how Batman wears noiseless silicon boots).

Kind of dumb bringing Jason's red hair (from pre-crisis) back, though.

Just got issue five today and it was great. I enjoyed it a whole lot more than issue four. I liked how there was more of a focus on dialogue in this one, even if it wasn't necessarily all characterisation (I love how Batman wears noiseless silicon boots).

Kind of dumb bringing Jason's red hair (from pre-crisis) back, though.

His hair looks like Rogue's from her early appearances.

It was just a dumb, pointless reference to a dumb, pointless story element that was retconned almost before it happened. It's from the brief ten minutes of comics where Jason Todd was a happy, sunny, ginger circus performer whose parents were tragically killed by Killer Croc. Batman took him under his wing and made him dye his hair (once again proving that Batman is a fetishistic paedophile) and made him become Robin. :roll:

The Jason Todd we all know and love (or...hate?) had a head of black hair when he arrived as a juvenile delinquent in the post-crisis adventures, a year or two later. Two-Face killed his criminal father and his mother (at least the woman he thought was his mother) was already dead. There was nothing about him ever having red hair.

So...yeah. Pointless. Now Jason looks like just another one of the alternate Luthors or worse; a leprechaun.

Also, I have just proven to myself that I read too many Batman comics as a child.

Last edited:

I think giving Jason a different hair color is a good idea, making him different from Dick and Tim (and also easier to tell apart when drawn by bad artist - I'm looking at you Tony Daniel).

And if it gets tied into continuity, all the better.

bnr06_cvr.jpg

I love Frank Quitely.

I think giving Jason a different hair color is a good idea, making him different from Dick and Tim (and also easier to tell apart when drawn by bad artist - I'm looking at you Tony Daniel).

And if it gets tied into continuity, all the better.

I just keep confusing him with Tommy Elliott.

The quiff of grey hair was enough to differentiate him with Dick and Tim, for me.

bnr06_cvr.jpg

I love Frank Quitely.

That cover is so 1966 Adam West TV show (in a good way) it's not even funny.

So cool.

Last edited:
"Jason's fought aliens and been to parallel worlds. He's died and been brought back to life. Don't ever underestimate him." The Flamingo. Doctor Hurt. Zur En Arrh.

I love Grant Morrison's Batman.

I believe it's only 12 issues, and then Batman returns.

The mini that has Batman returning begins in April. I doubt Batman and Robin will end. Ever. I mean it, its such a simple and resonate title for a comic that I can't see them ending it just because Morrison is done.

Frank Quitely variant covers for upcoming issues revealed on Facebook:

11465196267615841357505.jpg

11465196266880841357505.jpg

The mini that has Batman returning begins in April. I doubt Batman and Robin will end. Ever. I mean it, its such a simple and resonate title for a comic that I can't see them ending it just because Morrison is done.

If they are bringing Bruce back, I would prefer if they killed off Damien. Bruce and Damien wouldn't have as interesting a dynamic as Batman and Robin as Dick and Damien did.

Also, Bruce hasn't really properly worked alongside a Robin for years, now. Tim Drake was more or less just a solo hero who occasionally backed Batman up. It would seem out of character for Batman to be constantly teaming up with a partner, again.

That's sort of what I thought Dick meant in issue one when he said "Batman and Robin. Together again, for the first time." Basically, the book won't work if Bruce is Batman again.

If they are bringing Bruce back, I would prefer if they killed off Damien. Bruce and Damien wouldn't have as interesting a dynamic as Batman and Robin as Dick and Damien did.

Also, Bruce hasn't really properly worked alongside a Robin for years, now. Tim Drake was more or less just a solo hero who occasionally backed Batman up. It would seem out of character for Batman to be constantly teaming up with a partner, again.

That's sort of what I thought Dick meant in issue one when he said "Batman and Robin. Together again, for the first time." Basically, the book won't work if Bruce is Batman again.

Personally, I don't want them to bring Bruce back. At least not yet. I am enjoying Dick as Batman. It feels like a natural progression that provides a lot of leeway in terms of delivering some new and exciting Batman stories.

If they do bring Bruce back I would prefer it to be in a "Batman Beyond" capacity. I don't think he should wear the mask anymore.

Personally, I don't want them to bring Bruce back. At least not yet. I am enjoying Dick as Batman. It feels like a natural progression that provides a lot of leeway in terms of delivering some new and exciting Batman stories.

If they do bring Bruce back I would prefer it to be in a "Batman Beyond" capacity. I don't think he should wear the mask anymore.

I agree. When they bring him back I hope he decides to step back. After reliving life after life throughout time He probably needs a break, get back to being Bruce Wayne.

Latest posts

Back