Batman and Robin (Morrison/various) discussion

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Batman and Robin #1 - hell yes. Great start. I especially loved the sound effects and the trailer at the end.

Hopefully all the Batman books will be off to a good start.

Re: Batman Titles (2009)

Batman and Robin #1 - hell yes. Great start. I especially loved the sound effects and the trailer at the end.

Hopefully all the Batman books will be off to a good start.

This is better than Battle for the Cowl already!

Re: Batman Titles (2009)

This is better than Battle for the Cowl already!

That wouldn't take much.

Anyway, new covers for the start of the next arc:

batman-and-robin-20090605110317952.jpg

batman-and-robin-20090605110636053.jpg

I guess the Red Hood's Robin is the girl currently in Pyg's clutches.

Re: Batman & Robin (Morrison/Quitely) discussion

Robin vs the giant fat guy in the pink dress was the best part of issue 2.

And Dick treating Batman as a performance, great idea.

And I am loving Quietly's art. It is so much cleaner.

The comic is called 'Batman and Robin' not 'Batman & Robin'. The latter title was that of a horrific movie. The former, of an excellent comic.

The thread's title should be changed.

The comic is called 'Batman and Robin' not 'Batman & Robin'. The latter title was that of a horrific movie. The former, of an excellent comic.

The thread's title should be changed.

It's the same thing.

Re: Batman and Robin (Morrison/Quitely) discussion

NOOOO!

The mods did in a few seconds what took BKV sixty issues to do with Y the Last Man! Kill the Ampersand!

io9 interview with Grant Morrison about Batman & Robin.

Batman is dead. Robin is now Batman and Batman's evil son is now Robin. Everything is new again. If you ever liked Batman and don't want to see how that dynamic plays out, then may the Lord have mercy on your dry and shriveled worthless husk of a 'soul'! G'wan, g'wan, g'wan and buy Batman and Robin before the whole world starts laughing at you for missing out! Missing this is like missing your own birthday!

Also:

I also wanted to show a healthier Gotham City too. That whole Son-of-Sam, Rorschach-narration - 'This city is an open sewer where the rats feed on the broken dreams and filth of umm...other rats...where sneering, gnawing urban predators...blah blah...' - has become clichéd, tired and unconvincing. If Gotham was so bloody awful, no-one normal would live there and there'd be no-one to protect from criminals. If Gotham really was an open sewer of crime and corruption, every story set there would serve to demonstrate the complete and utter failure of Batman's mission, which isn't really the message we want to send, is it? You've got Batman and all his allies as well as Commissioner Gordon and the city still exudes a vile miasma of darkness and death? I can't buy that. It's simply not realistic and flies in the face of in-story logic (and you know I like my comics realistic!) so my artists and I have taken a different tack and we want to show the cool, vibrant side of Gotham, the energy and excitement that would draw people to live and visit there.

io9 interview said:
Those 'ordinary', 'mundane' crimes are his bread and butter but they don't really challenge him and they don't necessarily make for compelling stories, so I prefer to focus on the wilder, weirder nights of his career and I like to see him facing devilishly brilliant, flamboyant psychos who can actually put him under pressure and take him to his limits. Watching a billionaire Batman disarm poorly-trained, poverty-stricken muggers effortlessly or beating up skinny junkies might be fun for a scene or two but does tend to raise thorny issues of class and privilege that the basic adventure hero concept is not necessarily equipped to deal with adequately.

Yes! This is what I've been saying all along! That sort of "criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot" thing, the idea of this rich, privilege playboy beating the **** out of poor thugs is kind of disturbing and a little sickening.

I can already tell this is going to be an amazing series. The combination of Grayson/Wayne as the new Batman and Robin, and how the character's are sort of switched (Robin's stuck up, Batman's more flexible) is going to make it a great series.

Robin vs the giant fat guy in the pink dress was the best part of issue 2.

And Dick treating Batman as a performance, great idea.

And I am loving Quietly's art. It is so much cleaner.

Agreed. So far this series is shaping up very nicely.

Yes! This is what I've been saying all along! That sort of "criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot" thing, the idea of this rich, privilege playboy beating the **** out of poor thugs is kind of disturbing and a little sickening.

While I agree, we have to remember that this is just as valid as the dark, gritty, Gotham of Nolan's BATMAN BEGINS or the gothic pomposity of Burton's BATMAN or the timeless 1930s noir of Timm's BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES. They're all valid. I agree, the hellish Gotham has been overused of late, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

I can already tell this is going to be an amazing series. The combination of Grayson/Wayne as the new Batman and Robin, and how the character's are sort of switched (Robin's stuck up, Batman's more flexible) is going to make it a great series.

ALL-STAR SUPERMAN was great for 10 issues. I'm hoping Morrison lands this series better than that. :)

Good to see you, Gamma Man.

While I agree, we have to remember that this is just as valid as the dark, gritty, Gotham of Nolan's BATMAN BEGINS or the gothic pomposity of Burton's BATMAN or the timeless 1930s noir of Timm's BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES. They're all valid. I agree, the hellish Gotham has been overused of late, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

Yeah Gotham needs to be the most crime ridden city in America, but we should see the good Batman has done, as if it's not as bad as it use to be. He has been making slow progress. That should be shown a little more

This is everything I was hoping it was going to be. Vibrant, fun, exciting. The dynamics between Dick and Damian were excellent, as was the weirdness for Gordon and the cops of an obviously new "Batman" and "Robin" showing up like nothing's different. Quitely's art is the best it's ever been: the sense of movement, the grossness of the circus freaks and the pig people, and the sound effects.

An observation: Morrison's previous take on Batman was an attempt at reconciling the thousand different ways that the character has been interpreted over the years by different writers. The new Batman, for the first time, feels uniquely his. Like now that he's offed Bruce Wayne he feels no responsibility towards Batman's past and can finally offer his interpretation of the character.

The dynamics between Dick and Damian were excellent

They are. It's completely different from how Batman and Robin have meshed in the past; Batman is completely unsure of himself, and Robin doesn't listen to him and is chomping at the bit to take his job. Great dynamic and works well.

Latest posts

Back