Batman/Detective Comics Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: Batman Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Zombipanda said:
52's pretty red-hot. But you need to read it from the beginning, which means catching up on a total of 18 issues. ouch.

and I'm way too insightful and handsome to be a noob.

:lol: Thanks I needed taht Laugh.

Hibiki said:
:lol: Thanks I needed taht Laugh.

hmph. :( Does it make you feel better to constantly hurt my feelings?

I cry myself to sleep at night, these days.

(Oops..... Now how in the hell did I do that?)

Last edited:

Ok, haven't read all the posts on the new issue, and dont have much time anyways, but loved it when you saw the old comic paintings and how it went and in hand with what went on in the panel. Like when Bruce (I think) says "Wow!" and the bubble is right above the painting that has an eye with the shocked look. Or when one of the ninja man-bats is flying up and the painting in that panel goes "Look! Up in the sky!". I thought that was pretty cool.

Ice said:
Ok, haven't read all the posts on the new issue, and dont have much time anyways, but loved it when you saw the old comic paintings and how it went and in hand with what went on in the panel. Like when Bruce (I think) says "Wow!" and the bubble is right above the painting that has an eye with the shocked look. Or when one of the ninja man-bats is flying up and the painting in that panel goes "Look! Up in the sky!". I thought that was pretty cool.

Hellz Yeah!

I loved the Pop Art Comic exhibit thing to the LIMIT.

ALSO: The Best Shots Crew from Newsarama got across everything I feel about this issue:

BATMAN #656
Writer: Grant Morrison
Art: Andy Kubert and Jesse Delperdang
Review by The Rev. OJ Flow

If this review were a drinking game set to the word "bat," I promise each and every one of you would be wasted before the third paragraph. Apologies in advance.

Above and beyond all else, it's a whole lotta fun seeing Batman in international superhero mode. Also, as big a fan as I am of the Batman Family at large, it's great to see Batman working an adventure solo, save for his trusty aide, Alfred. The fact that practically every Dark Knight ally has their own book on top of plenty of face time in Batman and Detective Comics, the lead character, I fear, has been lost among the crowd too often (especially once you factor in one of the best rogue galleries in comics history on a monthly basis). No wonder he was so cranky for all those years. And I can't give writer Grant Morrison all of the credit for breathing new life into the titular character here, that was a collaborative effort that many need to be thanked for. But I believe that Morrison's made Bruce Wayne's costumed identity something I haven't seen in a long time, if ever at all: cheeky.

It doesn't necessarily blow the mind, the idea of our hero forced to take on scores of Man-Bats (or is that "Men-Bat"?). But who other than Morrison would up the ante by making them NINJA Man-Bats?? In my best Micheal Kors voice, I must say it's "Fabulous!" The ninja aesthetic only seemed to go so far as rendered here in Batman #656 by Morrison with the dynamic artistry of Andy Kubert, but it's never dull. My only qualm is that to empower a horde of ninjas with Dr. Kirk Langström's man-bat serum almost nullifies what qualifies them as ninjas in the first place, no? Just strikes me as making as much sense as putting a big loud motor on a stealth bomber. To be fair, the ninja Man-Bats are ultimately able to handle Batman as they run roughshod through a swanky pop-art museum function in spectacular fashion. The action that fills up most of the book is anything but dull, but it is occasionally a challenge to navigate, though it can be argued that dealing with a beast, or beasts, of this nature is going to be dizzying. Bonus points go to Kubert for switching gears in style throughout this book with the artwork featured in the museum setting. The Lichtenstein-like illustrations often provide silly commentary to the battle between Batman and the ninja-bats along with a pre-melee scene with Bruce Wayne reviving his playboy persona with a African cosmopolitan beauty by the name of Jezebel Jet. If Morrison is trying to introduce a new lady in Wayne's life, he's off to a decent start. And while we're at it, I hope there's more planned here for the Langströms.

Of course Batman #656 ultimately boils down to the creative talent behind it, and Morrison has brought has brought some interesting concepts to the table. I've always felt that Geoff Johns and I are kindred spirits in that I do know for a fact in talking with him that we were exposed to a lot of the same entertainment in our formative years, plus we're practically the same age. Despite being a few years older, I've often felt the same way about Morrison in terms of what he's done with the headliners of the DC Universe. It's been widely documented that Morrison has wanted to bring back the "hairy-chested Neal Adams love god," which is a credit to his writing considering how he was responsible for a wildly popular yet distinctively varied take on Batman in his watershed work on JLA. Reading this book I kept wondering if Morrison ever owned what I did that gave me my first exposure to Man-Bat as a kid: a book & record set entitled "Robin Meets Man-Bat" which borrowed heavily from Adams & company's work in the 1970s. That little gem is what I kept recalling reading this issue, much to my delight. Right now if I was to compare Morrison's work here with his other current projects it's at least notch below All Star Superman but as good as the best stuff he did with Seven Soldiers.

And not that I want to avoid the 800-lb. gorilla in the room that finally sees the light of day (from a lair in London's sewers, no less) on the last page, but I want to give the ballsy concept some room to play itself out with another issue or two before getting too into it here. I am handicapped in one angle and that is that I never did read Batman: Son of the Demon, though they seemed to elaborate just enough in the last pages here to get the unfamiliar up to speed. Funny thing that got my attention: I honestly believe that the coloring in the image of Batman romancing Talia in a flashback inaccurately had Batman sans pantalones. Unless Morrison intended the scene to just have Bruce working it with only his mask on. If that was the intention, than Morrison, Kubert, and the stellar production team on this book have made Batman cheeky beyond my wildest dreams.

Last edited:

There are mother****in ninja mother****in man muther****in bats things in my mother****in art show.

I love this. Morrison and Kubert forever.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Hellz Yeah!

I loved the Pop Art Comic exhibit thing to the LIMIT.

ALSO: The Best Shots Crew from Newsarama got across everything I feel about this issue:

BATMAN #656
Writer: Grant Morrison
Art: Andy Kubert and Jesse Delperdang
Review by The Rev. OJ Flow

If this review were a drinking game set to the word "bat," I promise each and every one of you would be wasted before the third paragraph. Apologies in advance.

Above and beyond all else, it's a whole lotta fun seeing Batman in international superhero mode. Also, as big a fan as I am of the Batman Family at large, it's great to see Batman working an adventure solo, save for his trusty aide, Alfred. The fact that practically every Dark Knight ally has their own book on top of plenty of face time in Batman and Detective Comics, the lead character, I fear, has been lost among the crowd too often (especially once you factor in one of the best rogue galleries in comics history on a monthly basis). No wonder he was so cranky for all those years. And I can't give writer Grant Morrison all of the credit for breathing new life into the titular character here, that was a collaborative effort that many need to be thanked for. But I believe that Morrison's made Bruce Wayne's costumed identity something I haven't seen in a long time, if ever at all: cheeky.

It doesn't necessarily blow the mind, the idea of our hero forced to take on scores of Man-Bats (or is that "Men-Bat"?). But who other than Morrison would up the ante by making them NINJA Man-Bats?? In my best Micheal Kors voice, I must say it's "Fabulous!" The ninja aesthetic only seemed to go so far as rendered here in Batman #656 by Morrison with the dynamic artistry of Andy Kubert, but it's never dull. My only qualm is that to empower a horde of ninjas with Dr. Kirk Langström's man-bat serum almost nullifies what qualifies them as ninjas in the first place, no? Just strikes me as making as much sense as putting a big loud motor on a stealth bomber. To be fair, the ninja Man-Bats are ultimately able to handle Batman as they run roughshod through a swanky pop-art museum function in spectacular fashion. The action that fills up most of the book is anything but dull, but it is occasionally a challenge to navigate, though it can be argued that dealing with a beast, or beasts, of this nature is going to be dizzying. Bonus points go to Kubert for switching gears in style throughout this book with the artwork featured in the museum setting. The Lichtenstein-like illustrations often provide silly commentary to the battle between Batman and the ninja-bats along with a pre-melee scene with Bruce Wayne reviving his playboy persona with a African cosmopolitan beauty by the name of Jezebel Jet. If Morrison is trying to introduce a new lady in Wayne's life, he's off to a decent start. And while we're at it, I hope there's more planned here for the Langströms.

Of course Batman #656 ultimately boils down to the creative talent behind it, and Morrison has brought has brought some interesting concepts to the table. I've always felt that Geoff Johns and I are kindred spirits in that I do know for a fact in talking with him that we were exposed to a lot of the same entertainment in our formative years, plus we're practically the same age. Despite being a few years older, I've often felt the same way about Morrison in terms of what he's done with the headliners of the DC Universe. It's been widely documented that Morrison has wanted to bring back the "hairy-chested Neal Adams love god," which is a credit to his writing considering how he was responsible for a wildly popular yet distinctively varied take on Batman in his watershed work on JLA. Reading this book I kept wondering if Morrison ever owned what I did that gave me my first exposure to Man-Bat as a kid: a book & record set entitled "Robin Meets Man-Bat" which borrowed heavily from Adams & company's work in the 1970s. That little gem is what I kept recalling reading this issue, much to my delight. Right now if I was to compare Morrison's work here with his other current projects it's at least notch below All Star Superman but as good as the best stuff he did with Seven Soldiers.

And not that I want to avoid the 800-lb. gorilla in the room that finally sees the light of day (from a lair in London's sewers, no less) on the last page, but I want to give the ballsy concept some room to play itself out with another issue or two before getting too into it here. I am handicapped in one angle and that is that I never did read Batman: Son of the Demon, though they seemed to elaborate just enough in the last pages here to get the unfamiliar up to speed. Funny thing that got my attention: I honestly believe that the coloring in the image of Batman romancing Talia in a flashback inaccurately had Batman sans pantalones. Unless Morrison intended the scene to just have Bruce working it with only his mask on. If that was the intention, than Morrison, Kubert, and the stellar production team on this book have made Batman cheeky beyond my wildest dreams.

I agree with everything you say. Always.

SO I doubt I'll drop Batman during then like I said, but I'm still not happy.

No thoughts on the new issue?

Damien is a little *****. I hope Batman puts him in his place and the ending was just creepy.

Its deffinatly the best one yet. I think Morrison should have jumped into the Fatehr Son Dynamic straight from the word go. Seeing RObing get his *** handed to him was entertaining, and the faux-robin suit at the end looks horrible, just as it should. Really looking forward to the next issue.

I'm guessing that'll only be part of it... But it definitely look like Morrison's getting back into the swing of his wacky Morrisonian ways.

OH MY GOD! THE WORDS! THEY ARE NOT ON BALLOONS!!! WHY MORRISON, WHY? YOU ARE BREAKING MY WORLD!!!!

NOT.

I think its awesome that Morrison is trying a different approach in this issue, the art is great and it looks like it could get you interested more then just 5 minutes... Looking forward to it.

Batman# 666

So batman issue 666(creepy) take place in an Apocaliptic future where Batsy's son Damian has taken the mantel of Batman and must fight lucifer....Im dead serios

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/May07/solicitations.html

and here's the cover:
BM_Cv666_solicit.jpg

Latest posts

Back