Batman/Detective Comics Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: Batman Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Ok. Never responded so here we go.

Issue was a very good read both art and story wise. Morrison did a good job with how he began the issue. It was honestly a fun read and Andy Kubert made it look so much better. As for the "learn to be Bruce Wayne again" haven't really read much before this, so can't say that bothered me or anything. Still, I like how he was handling himself with the women. Reminded me of the movie when I read that.

Now for the ending. Pretty cool. I don't know why but I thought the kid would be older (I did read Son of the Demon thanks to TGO). I'm interested to see how things go from here on out.

4/5

Batman learning to be Bruce Wayne again.

-Awesome

Talia returning with Batman's son.

-Awesome x 2

Joker shot in the face by a pissed off cop

-Awesominess

50 Ninja Man-Bats

-The greatest thing ever.

I have nothing but the Utmost faith in Grant Morrison, having read everything he has ever done for DC Comics (I hunted them all down. Seriously). He knows what he's doing with everything he's putting into this title, and I know it is going to be great.

I love the idea of Batman having done his job so well that he has to explore the other aspects of his life... I love that his son has been raised by Talia, and will now confront Batman with FIFTY NINJA MANBATS!!!

Other things coming up in Morrison's Run:
- BAT-HOMBRE (and the International Batmen!)
- The Secret Origin of Bat-Mite

He's taking all of the light silly things from Pre-Crisis and he's going to make them fit into continuity...

Grant Morrison is AWESOME.

<3 this series already...

Dr.Strangefate said:
I have nothing but the Utmost faith in Grant Morrison, having read everything he has ever done for DC Comics (I hunted them all down. Seriously). He knows what he's doing with everything he's putting into this title, and I know it is going to be great.

I love the idea of Batman having done his job so well that he has to explore the other aspects of his life... I love that his son has been raised by Talia, and will now confront Batman with FIFTY NINJA MANBATS!!!

Other things coming up in Morrison's Run:
- BAT-HOMBRE (and the International Batmen!)
- The Secret Origin of Bat-Mite

He's taking all of the light silly things from Pre-Crisis and he's going to make them fit into continuity...

Grant Morrison is AWESOME.

<3 this series already...

I up for anything if he does it right, even Bat-Mite.

Dear Doctor,

Would you please provide me with informative and educational pamphlets providing the history behind Bat-hombre and the International Batmen?

Sincerely,
Most Excellent Super Panda of Flesh-Eating Intent

Zombipanda said:
Dear Doctor,

Would you please provide me with informative and educational pamphlets providing the history behind Bat-hombre and the International Batmen?

Sincerely,
Most Excellent Super Panda of Flesh-Eating Intent

This is where I got it:

WIZARD 178 - Interview with both Paul Dini and Grant Morrison

What can you say about some of the types of stories you're going to be writing?

MORRISON: [Adam Kubert and I] are doing a story all based around the international Batmen, the Club of Heroes, who were all these guys in a bunch of '50s stories from different countries who tried to be Batman, like Gaucho from Argentina and the Knight from England.

DINI: Oh! Bat-Hombre! [laughs]

MORRISON
: Yeah! We've got all of those guys on an island where John Mayhew, the eccentric Billionaire who brought them together in the first place, has brought them all back and his face appears on a screen and says, "You guys need to find out who murdered me." Then one by one all of the different Batmen start dying on this island and you've got Batman and Robin in a "Name of the Rose" story.

DINI: Oh, that's awesome. I don't even know if Bat-Hombre was one of those guys or just Bruce Wayne in disguise, but I do remember the international Batmen.

MORRISON: There's a whole bunch of them. Chief Man-Of-The-Bats. Some of these guys don't have the money to sustain their training and got fat and that sort of thing. [both laugh] It's all the kinds of things that might have happened to Batman if he had gone the wrong way.

These things are great, but the thing I don't like is that they don't really suit Batman.

that's why they need to be reworked so that they DO fit in with all of Batman Continuity... I don't think Morrison is trying to deny how rediculous some of the old batman material is, but I also dont think he's trying to nullify the grim and gritty batman we all love...

He is trying to reconcile the two, and I definitely think he can.

I got this today and I really like it.

I'm completely digging the new, lighter Batman. I think it's a welcome change. A lot of great Morrison craziness here. Am I the only one who thought that the scene between Batman, Robin and Alfred was great? The dialogue was perfect.

And something awesome that I noticed: Batman's son picked him out of a crowd by studying his body language. Those detective skillz must be genetic.:D
Baxter said:
A few pointers to reading Morrison on a regular monthly.

1. Take nothing at face value. Things are NOT what they seem.

2. Things really are that over the top. This is the silver age of comics seen through a haze of LSD.

3. EVERYTHING will connect. Everything.

4. Always re-read each issue. You did miss things. When a new issue comes out, re-read previous ones after. There are things you missed that you didn't even know to look for.
Great tips. Especially considering the comment I heard from Morrison about "already having 50 issues planned out". If this is to be a multi-year run, like New X-Men, then expect every single thing to come together in the most brilliant possible way...A long time from now.

moonmaster said:
Great tips. Especially considering the comment I heard from Morrison about "already having 50 issues planned out". If this is to be a multi-year run, like New X-Men, then expect every single thing to come together in the most brilliant possible way...A long time from now.

Just as long as someone doesn't come along and say that Joker wasn't shot, it was his brother, who had hidden for many years and decided to dress up as the Joker one day, to catch Batman's attention, but it wasn't actually Batman, it was a crazy cop dressed up as Batman, but who was actually Batman's brother, a person who had also hidden away for many years, who had decided to reveal himself to combat this new Joker, who was actually the old Joker's brother...

XORN!

ProjectX2 said:
Just as long as someone doesn't come along and say that Joker wasn't shot, it was his brother, who had hidden for many years and decided to dress up as the Joker one day, to catch Batman's attention, but it wasn't actually Batman, it was a crazy cop dressed up as Batman, but who was actually Batman's brother, a person who had also hidden away for many years, who had decided to reveal himself to combat this new Joker, who was actually the old Joker's brother...

XORN!

Considering Morrison's recent interview......I find this even more funnier!!!! :lol:

I really am trying to like this......but ninja man-bats. Ninja man-bats.

That's all I'm saying.

Thank God for Detective Comics.

thee great one said:
The Batman Code

A step by step look at the meanings of Morrison's first issue of Batman. Brillant.

Not always a writer have the need to put those subliminal messages through the story. Maybe its just a story? Maybe Morrison just made something there because its cool? Anyway that guy totally "over-analyzed" this. I want to know what the hell did he smoke.

Edit: Of course, Morrison put some of those messages through the book, but not THAT much.

Last edited:

Victor Von Doom said:
Considering Morrison's recent interview......I find this even more funnier!!!! :lol:

I really am trying to like this......but ninja man-bats. Ninja man-bats.

That's all I'm saying.

Thank God for Detective Comics.

I agree. I just can't get into Morrison's Batman. I hope it's just this arc, but I've found it extremely mediocre so far.

ProjectX2 said:
I agree. I just can't get into Morrison's Batman. I hope it's just this arc, but I've found it extremely mediocre so far.

Wow. I still don't get this mentality. I can understand not really liking the first issue of Morrison's one, but he really cranked it up with this month's ish. That fight scene was glorious. There was really smart stuff done with the exhibits, and some seriously cool means of him disabling Ninja Man-Bats. And while we're on that, yes. Ninja Man-Bats. While it's an awesomely silly idea at first, Morrison's made sure it actually makes sense in the Batman Universe. If you're a secret society of assassin terrorists with scores of shock troops, why wouoldn't you want to expose them to a formula that enhances all their physical capabilities AND gives them added flight and maneuverability?

Plus, Morrison did a damn fine job handling the Miller-esque internal monologue that's been butchered for years. It worked well at first for Miller, but since has become a disgusting caricature, and it feels like Loeb and every other writer has turned Bats' inner thoughts into a clunky and unrealistic tool for exposition. But, the speech and internal narrative of Batman in this was smart, fun, and actually made SENSE for him.

Don't get me wrong. I'm really digging Detective Comics, too.... but Batman needs both. While he's a genius detective, he's also a highly skilled combatant and hero, and that needs to be expressed too... I think the portrayals by Dini and Morrison both work well without contradicting each other.

Zombipanda said:
And while we're on that, yes. Ninja Man-Bats. While it's an awesomely silly idea at first, Morrison's made sure it actually makes sense in the Batman Universe. If you're a secret society of assassin terrorists with scores of shock troops, why wouoldn't you want to expose them to a formula that enhances all their physical capabilities AND gives them added flight and maneuverability?

See...to me--it doesn't matter what explanation Morrison gives or how well he uses them. The fact remains: Ninja Man-Bats. That idea is right up there with Blue Brain Boy.

It's a hurdle that I'm finding difficult to get past. Like your girlfriend sleeping with the entire Dallas Cowboy Defensive/Offensive Line. No matter how awesome she is---it's still a huge hurdle to get past.

You are all full of crazy, and suck.

Thus Spake the Good Doctor.

(i am loving the poop out of the series at the moment)

Victor Von Doom said:
See...to me--it doesn't matter what explanation Morrison gives or how well he uses them. The fact remains: Ninja Man-Bats. That idea is right up there with Blue Brain Boy.

I don't know about that. I'm really digging some of the out there ****. I mean, we're talking about Batman. He's the dude who's rogue's gallery is made up of the weirdest freaks this side of the Dallas Cowboys. I figure bizarre is just par for the course.

It's a hurdle that I'm finding difficult to get past. Like your girlfriend sleeping with the entire Dallas Cowboy Defensive/Offensive Line. No matter how awesome she is---it's still a huge hurdle to get past.

:D That's a hilarious analogy... The kind of hilarious analogy you can only imagine from personal experience. hrm...

Dr. Strangefate said:
(i am loving the poop out of the series at the moment)

You and me both, bruvah.

Zombipanda said:
I don't know about that. I'm really digging some of the out there ****. I mean, we're talking about Batman. He's the dude who's rogue's gallery is made up of the weirdest freaks this side of the Dallas Cowboys. I figure bizarre is just par for the course.

And I'm aware that Batman has a rogues gallery of nothing but el locos. But bloody hell!!!

See, I've never been a fan of Batman. Like every other kid--I enjoyed the animated series, but as far as comics go---meh. Not a fan. I enjoyed Loeb's Superman/Batman and HUSH. But after IC, I decided to check out OYL Batman and was impressed. So now I'm viewing Morrison's run as my first real Batman series.

Sadly though...not impressed.

Latest posts

Back