Batman/Detective Comics Series Discussion *Spoilers*

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
I noticed we dont have one of these. I'll start off with what I thought of each arc I've read

HUSH (608-619)

I find this to be entertaining. I really liked Lee's drawing. I loved his Huntress. The Riddler behind it all at the end was great. The Jason Todd thing was easily the best thing in book.

BROKEN CITY (620-625)

This was kinda boring. It was decent but nothing really cool.

AS THE CROW FLIES (626-630)

The beginning of Winink's run. The had The Penguin teaming with Scarecrow to use his fear gas to keep his thugs in line. But there is a new giant Scarebeast killing big named thugs. The Penguin thinks Scarcrow is behind it, but he swears he has nothing to do with. Batman fights the Scarebeast and gets drugged. He escapes in the Batmobile and starts to think he's seeing the Joker, then Two-Face, and finally Jason Todd. Robin shows up and talks some sense into him. But the Scarebeast followed him back to the mansion. It turns out that The Penguin drugged Crane to turn into that thing without his knowing it. At the end Alfred finds Robins mask in the Batmobile and asks Tim if he lost it and he said no. I really liked this arc and the ending was fablous. I always liked Scarecrow.

WAR GAMES (All Bat Titles)

I actually really liked this. I love the Black Mask villain. He is one evil bastard. It was so sad what happened to Spoiler. This torn down all of Batman's allys and connections bringing him back to his core.

UNDER THE HOOD (635-638)

The beginning of the hints of the return of Jason Todd. I really like the Red Hood character. I loved what he did to the Joker.

FAMILY REUNION (639-641)

Batman goes Green Arrow and Superman about their coming back to life. He goes to Zanata to make sure one used Ra Al Gul's pits. I liked the refrences to Identity Crisis from Batman to Zanata and Green Arrow. I love the fight between Red Hood and Batman.

WAR CRIMES (643-644 crossover with Detective Comics)

This kinda suck. I felt it cheapened the Spoiler's death. But I loved the reason Joker went after Black Mask.

The newest issue deals with Black Mask extreme frustations as not being able to kill the Red Hood. I really like the Red Hood character. His dialogue is genius rather it's towards Batman or Black Mask. Deathstroke appearance was awesome. He asked Black Mask to join the Society. I loved the "Damn It" line from both Red Hood and Batman.

Winink is writing Batman is genius. I hope he stays on this book for awhile. I'm really looking forward to the Society sending villains to take care of Jason.

Last edited:
Re: Batman Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I am absolutely -loving- Jason Todd as the Red Hood.

I'm starting to hope he becomes the next batman (hopefully after he stops killing people all willy nilly

^Yeah, because I hear Bruce is getting tired of being Batman. Yeesh.:p There are two things that are never gonna change in the DCU. Superman and Batman. They're the foundation. They're the original superheroes. End of story.

*knocks on wood*

My favourite Batman stories are The Dark Knight Returns, HUSH, and the Kingdom Come novelisation(by Elliot S. Maggin). I know it's mainly a Superman story but the novel focuses on Batman a lot too. The scene where he's watching Citizen Kane always brings a tear to my eyes.

you're forgetting wonder woman. they are the 3 pillars. IC revolves around them, after all.

I am one of the people that changed from "what in god's name are they doing bringing jason todd back" to "this could be pretty interesting" to "i like this."

I like how he isn't just another dumb villain. However, I don't want him to become the next Batman. Ever. Batman should control damn batman robots when he's old.

And yes, I like Winnick's Black Mask.

I haven't read the novelisation. How is it different than the comic?

iceman said:
you're forgetting wonder woman. they are the 3 pillars. IC revolves around them, after all.

Fair enough.

I haven't read the novelisation. How is it different than the comic?

It's way more expansive. It explains a ton of stuff you may be curious about from the comic, and it has dozens of extra scenes. Favourite Novel ever.

I liked war crimes, Joker's back and that doctor i always that i always forget her name is out...never liked her... *****...

Last edited:

The last two issues were great. I don't understand why Deathstroke would send lame c-list villains after Batman and The Red Hood. I love Mask adressing the same problems.

The new issue had major showdown with Black Mask and Red Hood. I love Black Mask talking about how tough he is cause he don't wear body armor and have fancy weapons. Batman shows up just as he stabs Red Hood in the chest. The is one of the best ongoings right now.

A-

Yeah last issue was pretty damn good. I wouldn't class Count Vertigo as C-list, he just hasn't been used in a while. I took it as Deathstroke was expecting to take down some punk vigilante and not Batman.

Jason Todd as Red Hood is :rockon:

thee great one said:
HUSH (608-619)
I find this to be entertaining. I really liked Lee's drawing. I loved his Huntress. The Riddler behind it all at the end was great. The Jason Todd thing was easily the best thing in book.

GEEZ! Why don't you just MARRY Jeph Loeb!? :cry: :cry: :cry:

thee great one said:
BROKEN CITY (620-625)
This was kinda boring. It was decent but nothing really cool.

Y'know why? 'Coz Brian Azzarello hates superheroes. He doesn't like them. I don't mean like Ellis, "God, I hate superheroes. Check out my new superhero title", no I mean, "God, I hate superheroes, that's why I'm not writing them."

Azzarello is pretty damn fine on 100 Bullets. Sgt. Rock is pretty good, so is Johnny Double, and his Hellblazer run. They're all consistently entertaining. He did two very good superhero stories - Banner! and Cage. But... Azzarello doesn't care for them. He did Banner! and Cage, but they aren't superhero stories. Cage is actually more like Yojimbo (A Fistful of Dollars) than a superhero, and it's lots of fun. But Broken City and Superman: For Tomorrow, and Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, are not particularly good, simply because Azzarello, in Batman's case, tried to write "the cape as a trench coat", but he just wasn't for it. He said he's done enough superhero stuff, and that's that. So, I agree with you, but Azzarello's other stuff is quite entertaining, though it's turning out to be quite samey to be honest. Loveless is okay, but... nah, it's not rocking my boat.

thee great one said:
The last two issues were great. I don't understand why Deathstroke would send lame c-list villains after Batman and The Red Hood. I love Mask adressing the same problems.

The new issue had major showdown with Black Mask and Red Hood. I love Black Mask talking about how tough he is cause he don't wear body armor and have fancy weapons. Batman shows up just as he stabs Red Hood in the chest. The is one of the best ongoings right now.

A-

Yo, fo serious, I loved the issue for the same reasons. Black Mask was totally badass in this, and he becomes scary despite being some guy. Has real killer instinct.

What I noticed in the fight scene is that there are no real moments where either character could have killed the other, yet didn't. One thing I hate about comics is when a villain has a hero down, and even when they are not monologue-ing, they fail to just put a bullet in him. This fight went back and forth so naturally, and though there was perhaps one split second Jason could have pulled a gat and capped Black Mask, Todd is cocky, so it made some sense.

And those villains would have pwned Red Hood, and probably have beaten Batman, if they didn't work as a team. That's what was being stressed. Also, just one of the many things Winnick showed to ensure that yes, this is Jason Todd.

Hush was great as a monthly, but I've found that sitting down and reading it all together it looses a bit of the charm.

War Games caused me to drop the batman monthlies. All of them except for Nightwing, and thats only because of my man-crush on Dick Grayson. ****er just won't let me go, no matter how much his book sucks.

I did pick up the under the hood TPB though. Winnick writes a great Black Mask, and Jason Todds return has been handled fairly well so far. I'll be jumping back in at OYL.

And by the way, it looks like Jason Todd is going to take over as Nightwing. We've got a Nightwing cover with his Knife in Nightwings hands, and a solicit with an Outsiders group that sounds like it follows his more extreme methods.

In an unexpected announcement at the DC panel (though not coming as a complete surprise), it was just announced Grant Morrison will be the next regular writer of Batman, following James Robinson's eight-part story arc running through that title and Detective beginning in March.

Though not announced or even confirmed, popular rumor and speculation still holds that one of the DC exclusive Kubert brothers will eventually be announced as his artist.

Morrison said that he's already plotted 15 issues, and in his first issue alone, he has 15 ninja man-bats as well as Talia, and the story is called "Batman & Son". Morrison said Batman coming out of 52 OYL will be a more of a "fun guy, more healthy", more like the "Neal Adams, hairy-chested, love-god" version of Batman.

Hell freakin yes!!!! :rockon:

Interesting. I bet I can talk Ice into reading this.

thee great one said:
In an unexpected announcement at the DC panel (though not coming as a complete surprise), it was just announced Grant Morrison will be the next regular writer of Batman, following James Robinson's eight-part story arc running through that title and Detective beginning in March.

Though not announced or even confirmed, popular rumor and speculation still holds that one of the DC exclusive Kubert brothers will eventually be announced as his artist.

Morrison said that he's already plotted 15 issues, and in his first issue alone, he has 15 ninja man-bats as well as Talia, and the story is called "Batman & Son". Morrison said Batman coming out of 52 OYL will be a more of a "fun guy, more healthy", more like the "Neal Adams, hairy-chested, love-god" version of Batman.

Hell freakin yes!!!! :rockon:

Well, this is just awful. I'm all for Batman being more mentally healthy, but i don't believe in the 70s love-god character. Personally, I think Batman is best in Batman: TAS mode, recently 2 issues of Detective Comics were written as such, and frankly, they were awesome. I like Morrison, but 70s sex-Batman is taking the throwback thing too far.

Also, not a Kubert fan. Either of them, really. Especially not the one who started Ult. X-men. Jock, fo real! Or the guy whos doing it now.

iceman said:
Well, this is just awful. I'm all for Batman being more mentally healthy, but i don't believe in the 70s love-god character. Personally, I think Batman is best in Batman: TAS mode, recently 2 issues of Detective Comics were written as such, and frankly, they were awesome. I like Morrison, but 70s sex-Batman is taking the throwback thing too far.

More like, not is. Besides, Dini is writing Detective, sounds like your kinda book.

yeah, you have a point. morrison is a good writer, and i think he'll find a happy medium. dc has said they want to show that all the DC heroes like each other, and that is great, but it is VERY hard for a character to go from one pole to the other in just 1 year. i think it'd be interesting to write about a Batman who is actively trying to balance his life, but finds it extremely awkward and yadda yadda.

and yeah, i wasn't aware that Dini was writing Detective. He is great though.

Yeah, I'll think I'll pick up Detective instead.

Latest posts

Back