Batman: The Brave and the Bold (series discussion)

Re: New Batman Animated Series to Air on Cartoon Network

**** you guys.

I think this could be slick.

Ah, yes, the Iron Clad argument!

Mole, you should take advice from the Panda. :wink:

We're talking about a children's cartoon. It's not going to be the dark and gritty Batman you're used to, but it's not supposed to be. And the art kind of reminds me of old Jay Ward Productions stuff for some reason, which is cool.

Last edited:

We're talking about a children's cartoon. It's not going to be the dark and gritty Batman you're used to, but it's not supposed to be. And the art kind of reminds me of old Jay Ward Productions stuff for some reason, which is cool.

Seriously, if it's what you're into, that's fine, that's cool, I wasn't being sarcastic. My point is that you just said "I don't care what you guys think, I think this looks good and I'm going to watch it." as opposed to Mole's big tirade about how this show is going to be the most accurate representation of Batman in 40 years.

I just wish it wasn't being made.

Last edited:

From Batman-On-Film.com

BATMAN: THE BRAVE & THE BOLD Details
Posted by: Jett
Wednesday, April 9, 2008, 10:53 AM

has a few details about the upcoming new Batman animated series from Ben Jones, one of the show's directors. "Character-wise, Batman is still the same gruff perfectionist that he's been for the last twenty-five or so years," says Jones. "Everyone here is a Batman fan too, so we want to do right by him."

I don't buy it.

Mole, you should take advice from the Panda. :wink:

as opposed to Mole's big tirade about how this show is going to be the most accurate representation of Batman in 40 years.

Dude stop trying to bait me. You didn't get what I meant, I don't care. But stop trying to bait me in to continuing. I'm not playing your childish games.

I don't buy it.

On the contrary, if this is true, this could be quite good.

Why do you think Batman works so well in team-ups? Because he's the ultimate straight man!

Besides, it's like Krypto...if you don't like it, don't watch it. It's pretty hard to kill Batman's awesomeness, and this certainly won't. True, they could have waited until after the Nolan trilogy was over, but in the long run, it won't have much effect on it.

On the contrary, if this is true, this could be quite good.

Why do you think Batman works so well in team-ups? Because he's the ultimate straight man!

Besides, it's like Krypto...if you don't like it, don't watch it. It's pretty hard to kill Batman's awesomeness, and this certainly won't. True, they could have waited until after the Nolan trilogy was over, but in the long run, it won't have much effect on it.

It's not so much that it will 'kill Batman's awesomeness' and more that it's just a waste of money and programming that they could be using to make a decent Batman show. There's nothing to stop them making a Batman Begins-type animated series for an older audience where Batman wears a black costume.

The concept is different enough from Batman: The Animated Series that it would work without seeming like a copy.

It's not so much that it will 'kill Batman's awesomeness' and more that it's just a waste of money and programming that they could be using to make a decent Batman show. There's nothing to stop them making a Batman Begins-type animated series for an older audience where Batman wears a black costume.

The concept is different enough from Batman: The Animated Series that it would work without seeming like a copy.

Except the execs clearly don't think there is a market for it. There hasn't been an western action cartoon series aimed at an older audience for little while now.

Besides we have the batman anime for older audiences. That will feature batman begins Batman and will have psychopathic versions of villains like deadshot and scarecrow.

Just for fun though, here's an animated version of Frank Miller's Batman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QrBvWdlRDc

Last edited:

Except the execs clearly don't think there is a market for it. There hasn't been an western action cartoon series aimed at an older audience for little while now.

What about Avatar? Isn't that aimed at both older and younger?

What about Avatar? Isn't that aimed at both older and younger?

Well that all depends how we define the demographic, when we say aimed at older audience do we mean PG-13 or something a bit less than that.

Gothamite informed me of this thread's existence on Facebook, and, for the first time in several months, I actually felt compelled to check Ultimate Central. However, this is not a return to me posting. Not that any of this particularly matters but...I digress. Do you know why this will be terrible? Not because of Batman's obviously cheerier disposition (well, partially), but because of what they're going to do to his villains.

Assuming that all of the classics show up (since they said it's set in Gotham, I'd say that this isn't stretching my expectations too far), we are in for an irritating, eye-rolling devolution of the Bat-villains into their most basic forms. Bruce will always be cool, but when is it that he's at his best? That would be, most of the time, in his own titles. There is a reason that his subplots in DC's whatever-Crisis or his cameo appearances in other books have seemed forced and, ultimately, been mediocre.

Batman, no matter how he is written, will be cool just because he has excellent villains. Most involve an odd cocktail of the archetypal, the absurd, and then, of course a dash of nihilistic, Nietzschean theory. The Joker, essentially, personifies a nihilistic struggle and despair, and anyone who understands this...well, they'll end up writing a great Joker. The Scarecrow? An insane Jungian psychologist inducing primordial fear into his victims, as an experiment of sorts, more than supervillainly, is just cool.

Mole...or whoever it is that's arguing that the series will have redeeming values...do you honestly think that any of these attributes will be maintained in a show like this? They did an excellent job in Batman: TAS, they do alright in The Batman, but there won't even be an effort here. Face's and names. That's what we're going to get. Oh, and the out-of-place, modernized Blue Beetle.

And now, I return to my self-imposed exile.

Well that all depends how we define the demographic, when we say aimed at older audience do we mean PG-13 or something a bit less than that.

When I think aimed at an older audience I think Batman TAS , Avatar , The new TMNT cartoon (NOT FAST FORWARD!) , The new He-man.

You know cartoons that kids can enjoy but have something there for older fans too. I don't expect any cartoon to be PG-13 just have something for kids and something for older fans.

E.g of this. Batman TAS. It was a show I loved as a kid and even now there parts of it i enjoy now as an adult. Like the two face arc. As a child I loved it and hooked on it but as adult I can see the darker tones hidden in the episode.

Hope that makes sense.

Dude stop trying to bait me. You didn't get what I meant, I don't care. But stop trying to bait me in to continuing. I'm not playing your childish games.

I 'got' exactly what you meant. You said that the 'scientist cop-without a badge' Batman was the true Batman. I proved you wrong. End of story.

I proved you wrong. End of story.

Except you didn't and stop trying this now. I don't want another bs argument where every iddiot on here has to make some lame comment or attempt at humour e.g "I don't think Mole has ever read a Batman comic. That is the general impression i am getting from this thread." Now you want to talk about this in pm or messenger great as long as the idiots are out of it.

Last edited:

I 'got' exactly what you meant. You said that the 'scientist cop-without a badge' Batman was the true Batman. I proved you wrong. End of story.
I haven't read the entire argument in this thread but "scientist cop without a badge" does sound like a good and true version of Batman.

I have a three part classification system for who Batman is, but I'm getting ready for work, so if anyone's interested i'll post it after my lunch break.

The "true" Batman carries a gun in a holster on his belt and ruthlessly kills bad guys.

Latest posts

Back