Blackest Night discussion (Spoilers!)

Re: Blackest Night (general discussion)

The longer they have the ring, the more alive they become and the more of their personality comes through.

It makes sense. Hawgirl was dead longer, that's why her power is slightly higher than Hawkman's. Otherwise, why wouldn't they all start off at 100% when they got the new ring? It can't be measuring ring power.

yeah the same went for black hand in fact. If he didn't consume someone's soul or body then his hand would disappear and his body would deteriorate.

The longer they have the ring, the more alive they become and the more of their personality comes through.

It makes sense. Hawgirl was dead longer, that's why her power is slightly higher than Hawkman's. Otherwise, why wouldn't they all start off at 100% when they got the new ring? It can't be measuring ring power.

It could be if they're charging. We've seen them kill two people and there rings are at .02%. Maybe each death at their hands charges the rings more.

Of course thats going to lead to a LOT of people dieing.

And god only knows whats going to happen at 100%

Joe Kalicki said:

I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm just saying, to me, it seems a tenuous possibility. For one, we know these characters are going to be running around murdering and looting. Do we really want to see these guys come back with that kind of baggage? I know I don't want to see Ralph and Sue come back with a few hundred deaths under their belt. The second is I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a sensible agenda for the Black Lanterns if the end result is the characters getting their humanity back.

I think it's more likely that the rings don't charge individually, but instead are all contributing to the same charge, probably linked to kill count. Or, since the characters were chosen due to their emotional resonance with major players, maybe the charge is linked to how much emotion they suck out of the universe. If the Black Lanterns are supposed to be the absence of light, then it would make sense that the battery charges whenever this light is quenched. Johns has mentioned in interview that he's trying to make a statement about how emotion is the source of humanity and individuality. If the Black Lanterns are the absence of emotion then it would make sense that they aren't individuals so much as they are one collective consciousness, inverting the emotions of the people around them. That would also lessen the blow of having Sue Dibny chew some dude's head off. They are Legion, and the charge reflects the strength of the Corp, rather than the individual.

Sorry, dude. I get where you're coming from, but I just don't think it would be a reasonable way to do things. It would be like having the emo stigmata attached to Hal Jordan (for the Spectre bull****) reflected in all the DC characters who come back from the dead. I have a feeling that when it's all said and done, we will be seeing the return of a lot of characters..... But I also get the feeling that these aren't the characters we know and love. They're just the bodies. I think the fact that Deadman, Batman, and Ralph/Sue all have their spirits kicking elsewhere might be an indicator that it's not the actual characters being possessed by the Black Lanterns. The Lanterns may have their bodies and their memories, but their souls are elsewhere.

I think the charge reflecting the return of Nekron is probably the most reasonable theory so far.

Last edited:

blackestnight2variant.jpg

Awesome. Black Lantern Aquaman is going to be a badass.

Well Black Hand said something along the lines of "and you were connected to all of them" all the dead super-heroes, with Batman being in every book ever like Wolverine it makes sense. I'm guessing his skull is acting like a divining rod (you know the sticks that the amish use to find water or whatever) for finding dead super-folk

Maybe The Black Lanterns are drawn to displays of intense emotions in an attempt to snuff it out, that's why Ralph and Sue Dibny only attacked Hawkman/girl after they emoted like that.

Thats right boys and girls I bought a DC comic, it's the 5th sign of the apocalypse, I got a ring to, and I've lost it twice,

Black Hand was talking to his master when he said "he was connected to them". He was just being creepy and licking Batman's skull.

Could be an awesome way to bring back a bunch of great characters.

I assumed that was what would happen in the end - this was all a method for bringing back dead characters. It certainly is a better story then saying that they were shot with a gun that sent them to another dimension ( :roll: ) or pretty much any other return story I've ever read.

My hope, though, is that the characters carry on as Black Lanterns for a long time, and that there is a lot more story to come from this - not just having everyone be back to life at the end of BN.

Or it could just be measuring how long they have been dead, the longer they are dead, the more power they have.

It could be if they're charging. We've seen them kill two people and there rings are at .02%. Maybe each death at their hands charges the rings more.

I like any of those scenarios. I think I like Baxter's best though.

blackestnight2variant.jpg

Awesome. Black Lantern Aquaman is going to be a badass.

THIS.

We should put spoilers in the title...

The 2nd Tales Of The Corps hit and the Bleez of The Red Lanterns story was the best.

And the new Green Lantern issue featured the throwdown between Hal & Barry vs Black Lantern J'onn. I liked that J'onn seen Barry as both Hope and Fear.

Also the return of Xanshi? Insane.

The 20 questions part 3 video over at Newsarama Dan Didio says that Conor Kent is going to be a big part of Blackest Night.

The 20 questions part 3 video over at Newsarama Dan Didio says that Conor Kent is going to be a big part of Blackest Night.

I presume he'll be fighting a Black Lantern version of himself, since in the present he is still technically dead.

So, I think the newest issue of Green Lantern makes the status of the Black Lanterns a little clearer.

They are looking for the eradication of all sentient life, which would insist that the Lanterns themselves are just puppets without the souls of the characters.

And the charge from the rings seems to be cumulative and shared by all of the rings. Scar even talks about her master rising. I'd assume that the predictions of 100% charge signaling a villainous resurrection are right on the money.

Latest posts

Back