Blackest Night discussion (Spoilers!)

Johns said Prime would appear in Adventure Comics but I doubt he'll be in this.

Yeah. Johns originally said Legion was supposed to wrap Prime's story, but now he's saying that the dude will be showing back up in Adventure.

I also doubt he'll be in BN though.

Yeah. Johns originally said Legion was supposed to wrap Prime's story, but now he's saying that the dude will be showing back up in Adventure.

Personally, I'd prefer he not get his powers back. Having his story end by becoming an internet troll who lives in his mother's basement is an oddly fitting ending for him.

But back on topic.

I am willing to bet money that Hal's father will play a huge role in this.

Unless they let message board trolls co-write with Geoff, I'm gonna pretty much guarantee he won't be involved.

He's not dead and he's on Earth Prime, I doubt he'll be involved.

I thought Legion of Three Worlds was to wrap up Prime's story.

Personally, I'd prefer he not get his powers back. Having his story end by becoming an internet troll who lives in his mother's basement is an oddly fitting ending for him.
haha, wow

so i didn't know that, i read the trades so i'm behind. I just figured that Geoff Johns + Superboy = Superboy Prime appearance

I guess I was speaking from ignorance.:oops:

There is way too much going on so I'm not going to even attempt a summary. Needless to say, it continues to be awesome.

Next issue: Black Lantern Justice League!

Really? I found it kind of underwhelming. More later.

I don't think it was as good as the first issue mainly because this one continues to set up the various characters and the specifics of the Black Lanterns (Spectre being attached to Allen's corpse, Deadman's body coming back while he's in spirit form, Dove not coming back because he's at peace?) but I don't think it's underwhelming. But I believe you thought the same about the first issue too.

I don't know but it was madness.

Highlights were Black Lantern Aquaman kicking ***.

And now The Spectre is a Black Lantern. Scary.

It was okay, but when are they going to get to the rest of the various lantern corps?

Seriously!!! All the build up was about all these different Corps appearing and since BN itself has started they have barely been mentioned. I thought this was going to be much more Green Lantern centric than it is.

I know Johns will get back around to it eventually. I just wish he'd hurry it up already.

Eh..... My problem with it was, not much seemed to happen. The whole issue largely consisted of seeing people rise from their graves (a number of which, apparently, as unnecessary leads into the various minis) or zombie DC heroes being all "RAR! We RZ unhurtzable and unstopzable and there iz nothing you can do!". A large part of my lack of enjoyment may have come from the fact that Aquaman's mythology doesn't really appeal to me. I couldn't care less about the drama around Aquaman and Aqualad and Miss Aquaman and Aqualass, and since that took center stage, I largely just didn't care. Besides which, the end result of it was just that all of Aquman's crew are zombies. The Martian Manhunter fight, which is now spread across two issues has entirely consisted of "This zombie is so badass that nothing can so much as scratch him". It just felt like it was just, like, treading water while the first issues of the minis drop. Nothing was accomplished, not much was discovered besides what we already know. It was just so much fluff.

Okay, with the negatives out of the way..... That doesn't mean I'm going to stop reading this book. I felt like it was a disappointment as an issue, but it certainly doesn't condemn the series to failure. The high concept is rather interesting. The structure is sound. I like the idea of Blackest Night being the event itself, while Green Lantern focuses on the personal struggles of the individual Earth lanterns, GLC focuses on the cosmic event spinning out of Blackest Night, and the individual minis touch on the impact of death of the various major DCU heroes. Even if the event itself is a flop, it's still an opportunity for the individual minis to touch on the effect death has on these individual characters. And the prose back-ups by Johns look like they'll do an interesting job of refreshing new readers on relatively minor DCU characters who are going to have a large impact on the book. I'm curious to see which centerpiece character personifies rage (Spectre maybe?). I'm betting money on Ralph and Sue as "hope". And finally, Ivan Reis' art is really pretty. That page with zombie sharks chomping down on the Atlantean guard is just wicked awesome.

I'm not giving up hope on this book. I have a feeling it will ramp up once we get deep into the actual plot. I haven't found the first two issues particularly compelling, but they've been entertaining enough, and we're only a quarter of a way into the series.

Seriously!!! All the build up was about all these different Corps appearing and since BN itself has started they have barely been mentioned. I thought this was going to be much more Green Lantern centric than it is.

I know Johns will get back around to it eventually. I just wish he'd hurry it up already.

If you count Blackest Night, Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. as the main Blackest Night story, there's about 24 issues. We've had about 4 so far. He'll get to it.

If you count Blackest Night, Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. as the main Blackest Night story, there's about 24 issues. We've had about 4 so far. He'll get to it.

The impression I've gotten from interviews is that the War of the Light itself will largely be contained to Green Lantern Corps. I look at it like, Earth is one flash point in the war. It's not necessarily the most important one in the cosmic sense of things, but it's important to us as readers and the major DCU as the core characters, so most of the books focus on that. And GLC and GL will look at the larger war, which is important to the scope of those books but not much else. I could be wrong, and maybe the whole War will dovetail together towards the latter half, but even if the War of Light is juts contained to GL and GLC, that should still give it the scope of Sinestro Corps.

I mean, I doubt we'll see Atrocitus and Mongul and all those guys running around front and center in Blackest Night proper, and I feel that's the way it should be.

Edit: I just read the first issue of Blackest Night: Batman and greatly enjoyed it. I think, oddly enough, the miniseries may actually be easier to pull off than the main book. Did anyone else have a chance to pick this up?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back