Blackest Night discussion (Spoilers!)

For those who wanted to see more War Of Light stuff needs to read the new Green Lantern issue.

It was madness.

Sinestro vs Mongul :rockon:

I think that the rest of the GL issue might involve them travelling and collecting the rest of the corps members, as in Atrictious, Larfleeze, and Saint Walker.

Agreed. It was a great issue, and Mahnke's art is beautiful. It just reaffirms my belief that there's not going to be a White Lantern. Instead, we'll see a battalion of the representatives from each Corps.

I know the War of Light stuff from the GL books will eventually dovetail with the main book, but I'm hoping the Blackest Night core book keeps its focus on the Earth characters for the immeciate future.

I have been waiting for Sinestro vs. Mongul for what feels like years now. I am excited.

Agreed. It was a great issue, and Mahnke's art is beautiful. It just reaffirms my belief that there's not going to be a White Lantern. Instead, we'll see a battalion of the representatives from each Corps.

I know the War of Light stuff from the GL books will eventually dovetail with the main book, but I'm hoping the Blackest Night core book keeps its focus on the Earth characters for the immeciate future.

This was really good. BN Titans and Superman were also good. I think you may be partially right in terms of the white lantern stuff. The problem I am having is the Doves. The Black Lanterns can't seem to touch them. The rings couldn't get to the dead one and the bl's can't tell what the one who is alive is feeling. Like she just gives off static. This leads me to believe that somehow that Dove (or Doves) are somehow going to be the actual "white lanterns". She (or they) appear to be the key to something.

What was the deal with Hawkman and Hawkwoman in the star saffire?

I bet Superman masters the White Light or something like it in the last issue of his tie-in series... They've been playing up how he seems to be able to feel most degrees of emotion simulataneously, and I think if he feels all of them, he'll get the white light. I guess we'll see.

What was the deal with Hawkman and Hawkwoman in the star saffire?

The Predator is supposed to be connected to Thanagar somehow. And who better to be tied to the Star Sapphire than Hawkman and Hawkwoman, two spirits destined to be in love for eternity. Also ties in nicely with the fact that their modern incarnations were the first two to be killed.

The Predator is supposed to be connected to Thanagar somehow. And who better to be tied to the Star Sapphire than Hawkman and Hawkwoman, two spirits destined to be in love for eternity. Also ties in nicely with the fact that their modern incarnations were the first two to be killed.

Ah. I didn't know that about the Predator. Cool. Thx.

Am I the only one who thinks something called "the Predator" seems kind of out of place as the avatar of "love"?

I bet Superman masters the White Light or something like it in the last issue of his tie-in series... They've been playing up how he seems to be able to feel most degrees of emotion simulataneously, and I think if he feels all of them, he'll get the white light. I guess we'll see.

I don't know, this is more of a Green Lantern event and I'd like them to take charge of the story. Unless there is multiple white lanterns

I don't know, this is more of a Green Lantern event and I'd like them to take charge of the story. Unless there is multiple white lanterns

Me too. The earth centric parts are cool and all but they are not really what this story was built up for. (if that makes any sense) It is cool to see the DCU fighting all these dead characters but that isn't why I am reading this event. I don't really care how Superman fights his dead dad. I'll read it and it will be swell, but I don't care. I care about the war of light that Johns has been building up all this time.

My theory is I think there is only going to be 1 white lantern or maybe 1 on each world that is under attack by the BL's, powered by the other corps combining their light. And I am sticking by my theory that earth's white lantern will be Dove.

In regards to the original incarnations of the Hawks being tied to the Star Sapphires, the first prose back matter detailed how the two of them personify love. I wonder if each of the Lanterns will be tied to a specific character in this way. Will the Red Lanterns somehow be linked at the Source to the Spectre?

I disagree, I have seen many other characters have multiple emotions like him. Supergirl in the last tie-in issue had everyone but Greed.

So, the Titans tie-in is pretty abysmal. I'm also a little underwhelmed by the other two minis. They started off pretty solid but seem to be losing their horror focus. I would have been happier if they remained more clearly steeped in these sort of respective horror sub-genres, but I can understand how that would be difficult to write with superheroes. Still, it would have been cool to see DC draw in more genuine horror writers to work on the minis. I'd like to see more events that fit more clearly into other genres.

Last edited:
I just read this interview from Alan Moore from last month.

Alan Moore said:
I was noticing that DC seems to have based one of its latest crossovers [Blackest Night] in Green Lantern based on a couple of eight-page stories that I did 25 or 30 years ago. I would have thought that would seem kind of desperate and humiliating, When I have said in interviews that it doesn't look like the American comic book industry has had an idea of its own in the past 20 or 30 years, I was just being mean. I didn't expect the companies concerned to more or less say, "Yeah, he's right. Let's see if we can find another one of his stories from 30 years ago to turn into some spectacular saga." It's tragic. The comics that I read as a kid that inspired me were full of ideas. They didn't need some upstart from England to come over there and tell them how to do comics. They'd got plenty of ideas of their own. But these days, I increasingly get a sense of the comics industry going through my trashcan like raccoons in the dead of the night.

He comes across as a real douche here. "You know that story that everyone loves? Geoff Johns stole that from me."
:roll:

He comes across as a real douche here. "You know that story that everyone loves? Geoff Johns stole that from me."

He frequently comes across as a douche, but he's absolutely earned that right... and most of the time he's got a point.

Yeah I thought he really stooped past his usual arrogance and bitterness on this one. They aren't stealing an old story, they're using something that had tons of potential and made it into an epic event. I'm on DC's side on this one.

This is kind of a douchebag call though. I'd imagine Alan Moore heard his short story was being used as a basis for an event and, not reading it, made an offhand comment about DC's methods. BN isn't the the most profound story around, and if they'd really milked Moore's short story, I could see some of the venom; but in reality, the story is maybe 5% Moore's material and 95% Johns'. The short story really just serves as a hook. If he read BN, then I don't get where he's coming from at all, and if he did, I can't really approve of his disdain for a writer he didn't even have the respect to read.

This sort of revisionist internal continuity is one of the few unique and interesting narrative elements exclusive to the medium of mainstream comic books. It's the sort of thing I'd expect Moore to understand, given he's the guy who writes League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back