Bruce Timm Universe Adoration Thread

It's so great getting to finally watch these, properly, instead of seeing random smattering of episodes and only downloading bad quality episodes of a few over the years.

Season Three (or Season One of JLU) really is the crown jewel of the Timmverse from a writing standpoint and it's a darn shame that it didn't go on that way any longer than it did. When shows like The Batman could go on for five terrible seasons, this show should have had ten. Also, with the exception of maybe GL: First Flight and Wonder Woman, I totally wouldn't care about sacrificing all of the DCDTVs in favour of more episodes of JLU. When you compare Public Enemies or Superman Doomsday to episodes of JLU like "The Return" or even "This Little Piggy", they just seem like mindless action stories with dialogue thrown in.

The unforeseen Season Four is just a bit of a nonsensical mess, even if it is really entertaining and still very good. The Bat and Aqua embargoes really got in the way of that last season and the finale is just sad and a bit crap. Although if it had gone on longer it probably would have outlived those things and could have been more awesome.

Booster Gold, Dr. Fate and The Question deserve their own show. Man oh man.

Last edited:
It's pretty cool, but it's nothing they haven't already talked about in the BTAS DVD sets. Some of the original designs are interesting, though; especially the Riddler.

Also, the entire site World's Finest Online is essential for any fan of the DCAU. There's a wealth of great articles, character studies, reviews and some really awesome online fanfic comics all based around Timm's work, not to mention newer stuff like BTBATB.

Last edited:
DC Animated Universe (Bruce Timm / Paul Dini)

So I used to watch Batman - The Animated Series when I was a kid in the early to mid 90's, but never saw Superman - The Animated Series, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Static Shock, Batman Beyond, or The Zeta Project.

So I've decided to pick up the DVDs and do a bunch of research to watch it all in chronological order, and create a timeline. I'm also trying to pick up the various DCAU spin off comics so I can add those to the timeline (though apparently some cause continuity discrepancies).

But anyway, wanted to get a discussion started about the DC Animated Universe.

Any who are fans, what was your favorite series? Favorite episode?

Also, in my research I've found a few existing timelines that all have drastically huge differences in the order, not only of episodes, but of the series (most place Batman - TAS first, while the best I found places Superman - TAS as starting first).

Re: DC Animated Universe (Bruce Timm / Paul Dini)

So I used to watch Batman - The Animated Series when I was a kid in the early to mid 90's, but never saw Superman - The Animated Series, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Static Shock, Batman Beyond, or The Zeta Project.

So I've decided to pick up the DVDs and do a bunch of research to watch it all in chronological order, and create a timeline. I'm also trying to pick up the various DCAU spin off comics so I can add those to the timeline (though apparently some cause continuity discrepancies).

But anyway, wanted to get a discussion started about the DC Animated Universe.

Any who are fans, what was your favorite series? Favorite episode?

Also, in my research I've found a few existing timelines that all have drastically huge differences in the order, not only of episodes, but of the series (most place Batman - TAS first, while the best I found places Superman - TAS as starting first).

There's already a thread for this somewhere... But yeah, the whole DCAU is pretty awesome!

I think early on in Superman TAS, Ma Kent says something to the effect that she doesn't want Clark to be like the lunatic running around in Gotham. So I'm pretty sure Batman comes first.

Last edited:

Batman was first.

Then Superman.

Then the movie that was the two of them meeting.

The various Superman/Batman adventures.

Then Batman Beyond.

The Zeta Project.

Static Shock.

Then Justice League.

Teen Titans.

Justice League Unlimited.

I think.

There's already a thread for this somewhere... But yeah, the whole DCAU is pretty awesome! I think early on in Superman TAS, Ma Kent says something to the effect that she doesn't want Clark to be like the lunatic running around in Gotham. So I'm pretty sure Batman comes first.

Yeah, I also think someone in Superman TAS referenced Batgirl at some point.

However, the beginning of Batman TAS starts in Bruce's tenth year as Batman, so it could go either way.

I'll try to make sense of it once I sit down and watch them.

Batman was first.

Then Superman.

Then the movie that was the two of them meeting.

The various Superman/Batman adventures.

Then Batman Beyond.

The Zeta Project.

Static Shock.

Then Justice League.

Teen Titans.

Justice League Unlimited. I think.

I meant what order they occurred in, not the order they were released in. That's easily available info on IMDB, Wikipedia, and numerous other sites, whereas a concise and well researched chronological ordering of the show is tough to find. A few timelines exist for it, but as I said they all order everything differently so I'm gonna make one.

Also, Teen Titans doesn't take place in the DCAU. And what movie are you talking about with Superman and Batman meeting? Pretty sure that happens in the "World's Finest" episode of Superman - TAS.

There's already a thread for this somewhere...

[THREAD=9540]This[/THREAD] is the only thing I could find. Is there another? If not I'll merge this with that.

Ha! I'm collecting badly all comics, series and movies about the DCAU since many years now.. what a coincidence... again :p

Present Day:
Batman TAS and Superman TAS happen in the same time
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman: Sub-Zero
World's Finest
The New Batman Adventures and The New Superman Adventures happen in the same time
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Lobo
Gotham Girls
Static Shock
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited

In the Future:
Batman Beyond and Project Zeta happen in the same time
Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker

There are a lot of episodes that are happening before or later other series however.
And it's hard to place some comics.

All the other animated series aren't in the DCAU.
(I don't know yet if JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time is in the DCAU, I haven't watched it yet)

Last edited:
Very cool. I just started watching them. Obviously the first Superman episode happens first (Last Son of Krypton, Part 1), and the first half of the second episode (Last Son of Krypton, Part 2). But there's a reference to Batman in the second or third episode of Superman - TAS, but since Batman - TAS starts in Batman's 9th or 10th year as Batman, it works and even makes sense to place Superman as starting first.

But like you said they occur at the same time so I'm going to alternate chunks of the Batman and Superman episodes, and insert the comics where it makes the most sense to.

Only problem is The Zeta Project's 2nd season isn't available on DVD, nor is there any active torrents for it, so I'm going to try to find it online on a cartoon hosting site.

But yeah, this will be a fairly large project. I'll post portions when I've got a good number of episodes/comics ordered if you're up for double checking my placements.

I'm also going to include the Gotham Girls and Lobo web series and the Batman - TAS shorts "The Dark Knight's First Night" and "Chase Me".

It's going to take a few months at least.

So I've watched about half of the first season of Batman and about 5 episodes of Superman. I forgot how good these shows were. They manage to combine dark and gritty, emotional storytelling with slight elements of campiness that harken back to the old 60's live action Batman show (without anywhere near the ridiculousness).

Good stuff.

Does Justice League hold up as well?

And what movie are you talking about with Superman and Batman meeting? Pretty sure that happens in the "World's Finest" episode of Superman - TAS.

Those episodes got released as a "movie"

So I've watched about half of the first season of Batman and about 5 episodes of Superman. I forgot how good these shows were. They manage to combine dark and gritty, emotional storytelling with slight elements of campiness that harken back to the old 60's live action Batman show (without anywhere near the ridiculousness).

Good stuff.

Does Justice League hold up as well?

Yeah, it was good and then got better with JLU

Last edited:
So just finished up the first "season" of Batman. Technically it's only the first half of the first season, since there were 65 episodes total (but only about 30 released on DVD per volume).

Going to watch Season 2 of Batman, then get back to watching Superman and Batman alternatively (or at least where it makes sense).

Also have to squeeze in the Batman animated films as I go.

So far really enjoying it though. Both Batman and Superman hold up incredibly well 18-22 years later.

I've never watched Justice League, Static Shock, Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond or the Zeta Project, so those will be fun.

And the comics...so many of them. Going to dive into those now that the first season of Batman is done and his recurring enemies have all been introduced.

Season 1 of JLU was the Timmverse pinnacle to me. Season 2 was great adventure stuff, but it does come off as "we were done, but the fans wanted more...so we shrugged our shoulders and gave em more".

Latest posts

Back