Avengers Captain America: Reborn (Brubaker/Hitch) MAJOR SPOILERS

Cap: Reborn Prelude on Marvel.com

REBORNPRELUDE_watermarked.jpg

Last edited:
It's grown on me. I mostly like them both evenly, but one thing I think is cool is how Bucky-Cap's is so similar to Captain Britain's new suit. I don't know if it's on purpose or whatever but I think it's a cool bit of Captain symmetry.

Captain Symmetry is my favorite of the bunch.

Dear Marvel,

Making people register to read the preview is really, really stupid. ESPECIALLY considering a) the cover price of the comic, b) the disillusionment many people had over #600, and c) the fact that no matter how good the book has been or how much you hype this, it's still widely seen and as making Cap's death COMPLETELY meaningless.

Sincerely,
A Concerned Reader

#1 came out today. It was good. Hitch art was great but it was a bit messy for the last few pages.

As a result of Doom's machine, Steve Rogers has become unstuck in time. He's doing a Desmond from Lost. He's back in WWII at the moment.

And now Osborn knows... I'm sick of him and Dark Avengers and all this Dark Reign bull**** appearing in every comic. I can't get away from him.

#1 came out today. It was good. Hitch art was great but it was a bit messy for the last few pages.

As a result of Doom's machine, Steve Rogers has become unstuck in time. He's doing a Desmond from Lost. He's back in WWII at the moment.

And now Osborn knows... I'm sick of him and Dark Avengers and all this Dark Reign bull**** appearing in every comic. I can't get away from him.

So, I haven't been reading Captain America but that sounds kind of stupid. I mean, I won't judge it until I see it because... You know, BRUBAKER! But still...

I thought the strength of his book was that it eschewed all the nonsense comic book mumbo-jumbo.

Incidentally, I don't think it's intentional on anyone's part, but it does seem kind of funny in coincidence. Captain America dies, and then Batman "dies". And everyone's like "DC's pulling a Marvel!". Then we find out that Batman's not really dead but just jumping through time (because he was shot with some sort of psychedelic laser beam), and now apparently Captain America is.... not really dead but just jumping through time (because he was shot with some sort of psychedelic ray gun).

Again, I don't think it's got anything to do with one company copying the other. But still, kind of funny.

Anyway, I'll probably download this, and if I dig it, use it as a jumping on point to start buying Bru's Cap. It seems similar in intent to Johns' Rebirth books.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've read anything that Hitch has been attached to. Still great.
****in' tell me about it. They did the same thing with Tony Stark and SHIELD after Civil War. It's aggravating.
So, I haven't been reading Captain America but that sounds kind of stupid. I mean, I won't judge it until I see it because... You know, BRUBAKER! But still...

I thought the strength of his book was that it eschewed all the nonsense comic book mumbo-jumbo.
That's what bugged me about this issue. It felt like an ***pull.

Last edited:
I like how this is becoming a big reference to Slaughterhouse Five. We'll see what happens next.

So, I just finished reading the first issue of this. I picked up Cap 600, and while it didn't do anything for me, I could recognize how it might be memorable for people who had read through Brubaker's run on the book. Honestly, I find it hard to connect with Captain America as a character, and add that to the fact that I hadn't read the book up until now, it didn't do much for me.

Honestly, I was hoping this book would be a good jumping on point, but so far it hasn't been that. The high concepts felt like a detriment rather than a boon to the story. The stuff in the present day bored the snot out of me, and like some other people, all these ties to Dark Reign are kind of grating on my nerves. The most interesting part of the story, Cap trapped in time, got just a few pages devoted to it. Once that plot kicks into gear, things might pick up, but so far it seems fairly mundane. Combined with the recent revelations of JMS leaving Thor because of an upcoming "event" it sort of feels like Marvel is derailing two books who stand alone well for the sake of "universal continuity". I can't say for sure, but really it seems like a rush to bring Thor and Cap back into continuity so they can have them with Iron Man for the climax of Dark Reign.

McCheese said:
****in' tell me about it. They did the same thing with Tony Stark and SHIELD after Civil War. It's aggravating.

No, I feel you. Although, I think Fraction has done a pretty fine job given what he has. "World's Most Wanted" has stumbled a little more than Fraction's first arc (which was really quite brilliant) but all-in-all, Fraction's done a pretty bang-up job of working with what he was given and telling a solid Iron Man story. Although, the cynic in me sees the "twelve arc structure" as an attempt to tread water until THE NEXT BIG EVENT. I mean, Captain America's six issue return arc is cranking up at the exact time Iron Man is hitting the back-stroke of its twelve issue opus. I guess we'll see.

McCheese said:
That's what bugged me about this issue. It felt like an ***pull.

I'm going to give the book a couple more issues, but yeah. I can agree with that.

I like how this is becoming a big reference to Slaughterhouse Five. We'll see what happens next.

Hm... It still hasn't proven itself to have anywhere near the significance of SH5. I guess we'll see, but I wouldn't hold out hopes.

I just realised why Brubaker referenced Slaughterhouse Five, Final Crisis and Lost in one tweet.

I'm just trying to correct those who thinks he took the device from Lost. This is 100% Vonnegut Homage, and he admitted as much on his Twitter today.

Not to say he's shooting for the emotional resonance of the original... He's just using Vonnegut's plot device to delve into exactly who Steve Rogers is and what he stands for, and then he'll come back.

I'm just trying to correct those who thinks he took the device from Lost. This is 100% Vonnegut Homage, and he admitted as much on his Twitter today.

I know it was from Vonnegut but if I said "Steve Rogers is doing a Billy Pilgrim", like three people would have understood. That's why I used Desmond from Lost as the comparison, as more people would actually understand. :)

Not to say he's shooting for the emotional resonance of the original... He's just using Vonnegut's plot device to delve into exactly who Steve Rogers is and what he stands for, and then he'll come back.

I think whatever Bru does, he'll do to the best of his ability.

Still, it all feels rather silly.

Besides, haven't the last five decades of Captain America stories largely been attempts to reconcile "What the dude stands for"?

Last edited:

I seems to be a lot like what is going on with Bruce Wayne right now.

It's more like it takes comic book mumbo-jumbo and makes it palpable. The cosmic cube was handled masterfully.

Incidentally, I don't think it's intentional on anyone's part, but it does seem kind of funny in coincidence. Captain America dies, and then Batman "dies". And everyone's like "DC's pulling a Marvel!". Then we find out that Batman's not really dead but just jumping through time (because he was shot with some sort of psychedelic laser beam), and now apparently Captain America is.... not really dead but just jumping through time (because he was shot with some sort of psychedelic ray gun).

Again, I don't think it's got anything to do with one company copying the other. But still, kind of funny.

Anyway, I'll probably download this, and if I dig it, use it as a jumping on point to start buying Bru's Cap. It seems similar in intent to Johns' Rebirth books.
Not to mention their dead sidekicks coming back from the dead

Latest posts

Back