Avengers Captain America: Reborn (Brubaker/Hitch) MAJOR SPOILERS

I thought the gun froze Captain America in time, and the machine at the end of the Skull destorying America Economy was to bring him back to this time for whatever plan the Red Skull had.
But because Agent 13 destroyed the machine, that then sent him through time.

Not the actual gun.

You know, usually I'd just call bull **** on an excuse like this. Because really, why would Red Skull just not kill Rodgers? But I love the flashing through time story device. It's always so damn fun, constantly throwing a character into another time and seeing them work through it.

Though they should leave Osborn and the whole dark reign far away from this.

I want to jump in here, and first address the subject of the Captain America costume. Bucky-Cap's costume sucks, if you ask me. It reminds me of something a performer in Cirque du Soleil would wear. Not that I have anything against CdS, because I've seen a few of their shows and they're all mind-blowing. However, no thank you, Alex Ross. I could do without your design.

Not to say classic Cap is really all that much better under the modern microscope, even though it has a nice, classic look to it that comes off well on paper. These days, I prefer a more functional outfit for a "super-soldier", so the big, floppy buccaneer boots and the flared gloves don't really do it for me. Neither do the wings on the mask.

The best Captain America costume, bar none, is the Ultimate version. There is no discussion about this. It is functional, the colors are toned down a bit, the helmet serves an actual purpose in combat, and the boots and gloves look like military issue stuff.

Now, for everyone HURRing and DURRing about Dark Reign... get used to it. Norman Osborn is in charge now, and until they tie up that loose end at the end of the next big event (or two) he's going to be in everyone else's book. It would be pointless to have him in such a position of power, but then have him basically taking the standpoint of "Ah, I'm just gonna leave the X-Men alone." or "Ah, I'm just going to leave Captain America alone." or "Ah, I'm just going to leave Ka-Zar alone." Not going to happen.

Besides, the discussion between Osborn and Arnim Zola's torsorobot was cool.

wait, So Cap never actually died?
We just thought he did b/c they showed him dying, but he didn't actually...
:roll: oh Marvel, you did it again. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me!

:arrgh::arrgh::arrgh::arrgh::arrgh::arrgh:

Tim Sale's cover for #2:

1247611259.jpg

That cover is like that page from We3. You know the one. The awesome one.

#2 was better than #1. I kind of wanted to see Steve try and change history and maybe save Erskine before the assassin killed him. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened.

I also wanted Captain America vs. Hitler action. :(

Mite bit off-topic, but I read in Time or Newsweek about this and the writer of the notation called it "predictable."

Good to know people in the mainstream media are onto this sort of thing.

There was an awesome splash page in the latest issue.

I am really enjoying this now. It's just Brubaker writing a damn good superhero comic.

There was an awesome splash page in the latest issue.

I am really enjoying this now. It's just Brubaker writing a damn good superhero comic.

Totally agreed. I had reservations at first but it's really good and I love some of the concepts. Like Steve reliving everything just as it happened and being trapped in his own head as a sort of second consciousness. I wish we could have had more of that. It would be nice to give Bucky more time as Captain America and have that going on in the background, with more stuff like the bit where he recorded a message with Vision. That was cool.

My only concern is that there will be more of that - unused potential that gets wasted because it wasn't developed. Like Bucky being Cap.

It's also cool to get more comic book science as far as the details of how a consciousness transfer works. We've seen it a billion different times in a billion different comics but nothing like the detail we're getting here and the anguish that accompanies it. It always sort of just happened.

You know, usually I'd just call bull **** on an excuse like this. Because really, why would Red Skull just not kill Rodgers?

Aaaaaand we have our answer.

I'm totally calling it now.

Post-Siege, Steve Rogers: Director of SHIELD.

I doubt it. But then again, I'm basing that off previous actions of Steve and the recently released Who Will Wear the Shield? (which oddly came out before the conclusion of the final issue to this).

If anything, I think we might see the "return to power" of Nick Fury. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

Right now though my biggest concern of all this is what will Marvel do with Bucky (who is a better 21st Century Cap than Steve)? I would love to say that Bucky, with all his Winter Soldier/espionage experience, would take over SHIELD. But seeing as how Bucky Cap didn't even want to run 6 people in the New Avengers, I doubt he'd want to run an entire intelligence agency.

I would like Steve as the superhero Captain America and Bucky as the spy Captain America. Whether or not Nick Fury reclaims his title as Director of SHIELD, I think it would be cool for Thunderbolts to be revamped again with Maria Hill in charge and Bucky and Black Widow as members of the team.

I would like Steve as the superhero Captain America and Bucky as the spy Captain America. Whether or not Nick Fury reclaims his title as Director of SHIELD, I think it would be cool for Thunderbolts to be revamped again with Maria Hill in charge and Bucky and Black Widow as members of the team.

There is just so much you can do with a Nick Fury/Maria Hill/Bucky/Black Widow combo.

The idea of this makes me want to go back and read DC's Checkmate. Marvel needs a Checkmate.

I doubt it. But then again, I'm basing that off previous actions of Steve and the recently released Who Will Wear the Shield? (which oddly came out before the conclusion of the final issue to this).

If anything, I think we might see the "return to power" of Nick Fury. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

Right now though my biggest concern of all this is what will Marvel do with Bucky (who is a better 21st Century Cap than Steve)? I would love to say that Bucky, with all his Winter Soldier/espionage experience, would take over SHIELD. But seeing as how Bucky Cap didn't even want to run 6 people in the New Avengers, I doubt he'd want to run an entire intelligence agency.

Well, the thing that really clinched it for me was the last page of "Who Will Wear the Shield" (which honestly, wasn't all that great). My assumption is we'll see an overhaul of the Avengers as the ship's mast of the Superhuman initiative, probably somehow integrated with SHIELD, and Rogers at its head.

Yeah Rogers is totally getting Osborns job at the end of Siege. He'll re-instate Shield and restructure it to be in the vein of the Alliances in the MUA games.

Latest posts

Back