Captain America Vol. 5 by Ed Brubaker discussion (SPOILERS!)

Re: Captain America series discussion (SPOILERS!)

You know what's funny? The Skull doesn't seem particularly bothered about hearing that his daughter was injured. He is such an evil SOB.

You know what's funny? The Skull doesn't seem particularly bothered about hearing that his daughter was injured. He is such an evil SOB.

I'm also surprised that he's surprised at the new Cap.

OK, we now know that Sharon's pregnancy is not a trick by Red Skull or Doctor Faustus, and that neither knew about it. And they were surprised that Bucky became the new Cap, so even though their plans are going well they are not in as much control as they seem to think they are.

The Cap at the end is creepy. What is the burn damage on his right side? Hmmm...

The Senator Gordon stuff is interesting. I cannot wait to see what they are going to be doing with this government infiltration...awesome.

So I'm thinking that Skull's Cap is a clone with implanted memories meant to be brainwashed into Skull's ultimate soldier.

Which when you think about it....would be an interesting ironic twist in bringing back Cap. A clone meant to be an enemy of America choosing his own path and becoming it's patriotic beacon.

So I'm thinking that Skull's Cap is a clone with implanted memories meant to be brainwashed into Skull's ultimate soldier.

Which when you think about it....would be an interesting ironic twist in bringing back Cap. A clone meant to be an enemy of America choosing his own path and becoming it's patriotic beacon.

That would be cool, and I agree that it is also likely a clone that he will try and use to attack or betray America. It would be interesting to see how the effects of the super soldier serum affect cloned tissue.

It's also a nice counterpart story-wise to Bucky's story.

Having them work side by side "again" would be interesting.

I do like how Falcon is working with Bucky.

I would rather have a few years of Bucky as Cap with the Steve clone as a major supporting character, whether he is a superhero or not.

That would be cool, and I agree that it is also likely a clone that he will try and use to attack or betray America. It would be interesting to see how the effects of the super soldier serum affect cloned tissue.

It's also a nice counterpart story-wise to Bucky's story.

Having them work side by side "again" would be interesting.

I do like how Falcon is working with Bucky.

I would rather have a few years of Bucky as Cap with the Steve clone as a major supporting character, whether he is a superhero or not.

What I'm waiting for is the inevitable face-off between Clone Cap and Bucky.

And if Brubaker keeps on writing, you very well may get a few years of Bucky as Cap. Brubaker can stretch a storyline out forever and still keep it engaging.

Just throwing this out there, i thought the new Cap (not Bucky) is the the super nazi guy from the London arc, back before Civil War?
Does he not get blown up, and fly away or something,cursing that he will be back (not really but when i first read it, thats what it felt like)

haven't read this thread completely so i don't know if this has been posted, but here's my 2 cents worth:
the cap who died was the skrull (the body didn't turn back into a skrull due to... super soldier serum,maybe? it just withered instead...) and this guy in the tank is the real thing... plucked out of time by the skull using doom's machine (to be forever tortured/ tormented) then replaced with the skrull dead body... :s

Cover to issue #39, Potential Spoilers!

2707new_storyimage4126783_full.jpg

Skrull? Clone? LMD? Time-displaced cap with mindwiped under Skulls control? The Cap from Avengers/Invaders?

isn't this the invaders cap? oh wait, he's not wearing the military issue belt from ross' sketches...

Last edited:

haven't read this thread completely so i don't know if this has been posted, but here's my 2 cents worth:
the cap who died was the skrull (the body didn't turn back into a skrull due to... super soldier serum,maybe? it just withered instead...) and this guy in the tank is the real thing... plucked out of time by the skull using doom's machine (to be forever tortured/ tormented) then replaced with the skrull dead body... :s

Brru already stated that the cap book will not be apart of SI and clearly it wasn't a skrull. I'd be greatly disapointed in Brubaker if it was.

But a Skrull wouldn't have the Super Soldier Serum.

I'm pretty confident it's not a Skrull. I hadn't read Bru say that Captain America is not part of Secret Invasion but I'm relieved, even though I'm enjoying Secret Invasion.

I'm guessing that the new Steve Rogers is just a clone manufactured by Red Skull.

But a Skrull wouldn't have the Super Soldier Serum...

..And a few months ago we would all have said that Marvel wouldn't do a story like OMD/ BND
or
get Cap shot
or
bring back Bucky
or
bring back Captain Marvel...

right?

Last edited:

But a Skrull wouldn't have the Super Soldier Serum.

I'm pretty confident it's not a Skrull. I hadn't read Bru say that Captain America is not part of Secret Invasion but I'm relieved, even though I'm enjoying Secret Invasion.

I'm guessing that the new Steve Rogers is just a clone manufactured by Red Skull.

Here's the real explaination:
http://comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=281&disp=table

Its
The grand Director

Last edited:

Got my Death of Captain America Vol. 2 PHC today.

This is, for me, the most engaging comic out right now. Every single page is intense and enthralling. I luv it.

So...#40.

Bucky fights the Grand Director, who still thinks he is Cap, is much stronger than Steve Rogers was, and knows the Bucky killed "his" Bucky. He pretty much beats the crap out of Bucky and takes everything Bucky throws at him. Eventually Bucky unmasks and it sort of throws GD into a trance - he can't figure out what is going on because he recognizes Bucky. Red Skull and Dr. Faustus are watching on some kind of monitor and Faustus uses some kind of device to send a signal to GD to snap him back to reality. He knocks Bucky over the side of the building they are fighting on and Falcon rescues him and sends his birds to watch GD.

Meanwhile Zola continues to work on the mysterious Dr. Doom device.

Also, Sharon manages to escape and tussles with Syn, who stabs her.

In the stomach.

Bye bye baby?

4.75/5. I love this book.

After seeing the art for #39, I was so disappointed that Epting returned. I want the other guy on the book.

Oh yeah...and this book is probably the best hero book you could ever read now. And the best part is that it hasn't even really starred the title character in over a year now.

Latest posts

Back