Captain America Vol. 5 by Ed Brubaker discussion (SPOILERS!)

Re: Captain America series discussion (SPOILERS!)

Oh wowsies.

CAP34ADD.jpg

My moneys on Union Jack, for some reason.

can't be iron man , he has facial hair and this cap does not

9/10 times it's never anyone who Marvel puts in those kind of things. And the track record for the last few years has always been no one from what was shown.

That's the only thing giving me nagging doubts that it's him.

But there has been so much leading up to it to make me think it is...I dunno.

someone on 'Rama read an advanced copy of the ish

yeah it's
Winter Soldier

makes sense

wouldn't it be funny if it turns out to be Steve back from the dead?:lol:

Marvel gets away with the "it wont be steve" as he changes his name or something

Last edited:

yeah it's
Winter Soldier

makes sense

WHAT?!

Im quite glad.

There's always that 10% that can make it happen. It wouldn't make sense for it to be anyone else.

And you guys thought I was pissed. HA-HA!

:furious:

Last edited:

yeah it's
Winter Soldier

makes sense

At least it's not
a clone

Seriously though - that's awesome.

At least it's not
a clone

Seriously though - that's awesome.

Word, and really its been building up for some time now.

I am now convinced that this is the best book Marvel is putting out right now.

I don't think that's saying much

True.

However, the book really is good, even by non-Marvel standards. It's like Marvel isn't even publishing it!

True.

However, the book really is good, even by non-Marvel standards. It's like Marvel isn't even publishing it!

it's like Brubaker is running his own imprint that just happens to be in the 616 for some weird legal reason

This setup for the new Cap actually has me interested. Say what you will about Marvel, but Brubaker is the man.

And is it just me or is Iron Man always getting his *** handed to him?

Thor, Hulk, Nova, Winter Soldier, some random guy, the list goes on.

I'm not totally clear on the cosmic cube, how it's used, and what it's limitations are.

I understand that we're not meant to know if the cube has been fully used yet. As I recall, we are being led to assume that Red Skull used the cube in it's weakened state to transfer his consciousness to Lukin. But I see that we are also being led to believe that the cube will be used further, presumably by Lukin to try and recreate the USSR or whatever. Maybe to rebuild the time machine.

But I thought that a cosmic cube could only be used once then it was gone. Am I just misremembering that?

I had a whole huge post typed up about how awesome #34 is; how ingeniously Red Skull is destroying America by destroying it economically, and destroying SHIELD by brainwashing agents into opening fire on a demonstration...but my computer suffered 2 kernel panics and I lost the post. Twice.

Is no one else reading this?

I'm not crazy about the new costume but it's not bad. I never did like the wings on the hood.

I'm very interested in seeing how the bionic arm augments Bucky's abilities, seeing as how he is, by his own admission, a third as powerful as Steve Rogers was.

http://tv.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=297906&GT1=7701

Marvel Comics Revives Capt. America
Jan. 30, 2008, 7:46 PM EST
The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- It turns out you can't keep a good man down — or even dead and buried — when he wears a red, white and blue uniform and calls himself Captain America. Marvel Comics, which killed off the veteran superhero almost a year ago, brought him back to life Wednesday — sort of.

Captain America's alter-ego, Steve Rogers, is still resting in peace at Arlington National Cemetery, having been done in by assassins last March. But his good buddy and sidekick from the 1940s, Bucky Barnes, has picked up the bulletproof Captain America shield, put on a new uniform and taken his place.

What's that you say? Wouldn't Bucky be about 85 years old now? And without any real super powers to fall back on, isn't that kind of long in the tooth to be taking a bite out of crime?

Well, yeah. But remember, this is the comic book world we're talking about. Bucky was put in suspended animation by the evil Russians (back when they were evil) and stayed that way for the better part of 60 years.

"So he's probably in his late 20s right now," jokes Marvel Editor in Chief Joe Quesada, who decided to promote him to Captain America.

Rogers' old sidekick had already returned to the Marvel pantheon of heroes some time back as the rugged Winter Soldier, redeeming himself for the years he'd spent under the control of the bad guys, who would occasionally thaw him out for evil deeds.

"We were toying with the idea of someone new taking over the mantle of Captain America," Quesada said by phone from his New York office. "But we kept coming back to Bucky. Not only because he seemed such an obvious choice but especially because of the fact that when we brought him back as the Winter Soldier he was so incredibly popular."

Barnes never swallowed the "Super Soldier Serum" that transformed the wimpy Rogers into the super-strong Captain America in the months before World War II. So he's at a bit of a disadvantage in his new role. But he's bulked up himself over the years, become a master at special operations and he's also packing some serious heat these days along with that mask and shield.

But forget about defeating enemies in the fantasy world. The people he will really have to win over are those notoriously finicky comic book readers.

Quesada says he isn't worried, however, adding that killing off Captain America last year seemed to give him new life with readers. The editor was taken aback when newspapers even carried obituaries on the character.

"Not since the 1940s have we seen Cap being this popular," he said.

True.

I realize I'm late reading this post, but it is hilarious because it is 'effortlessly insulting'.

Its the type of thing, that if you're reading quickly, could even seem complimentary (to Marvel). Like putting a smile on your face and telling the minister on the way out of the church that 'each sermon is better than the next'.

Cap, Iron Fist, Daredevil.... Brubaker is gold for Marvel - Why can't he be writing Ultimates 3? Because it dawned on me - what if Loeb is just as smart as Brubaker, and somehow has this killer plot point that somehow makes U3 good as a trade? Won't it still be kind of sucky? Don't good writers find a way of making you like the individual issues at the time, as well as the arc even more after the big reveal - they make you appreciate the forest AND the trees?

Even if it all has a good ending, we will have hated it at the time - and my brain can't be ret-conned. (Who would bother, which such simple material :) )

This series should be retitled "Bucky."

I loved the new issue.

Maybe it was just because of Epting's Black Widow.

I'm actually hoping that Bucky stays as Cap for awhile - This has been too well written for me to think that Brubaker's vision stops here

Latest posts

Back