Civil War series discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Civil War?

• Total voters

vintsukka

Civil War # 1

So, we start with the New Warriors scene I'm sure everyone's seen already, resulting in Nitro blowing up near a school. Then New Avengers and the X-Men are clearing the scene and looking for survivors with firefighters, there's Iron Man, Cap, Falcon, Goliath, Iceman (did he get his powers back after HoM?), Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, Thing, Marvel Girl, Cyclops, Colossus, Wolverine, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel and Human Torch that I can see. Iron Man and Cap talk about how the NW were in over their heads and Cap says F.E.M.A. estimates 800-900 casualties. Marvel Girl clears out a big pile of rubble and rescues a damily trapped under. Two Sentinels are watching over and Wolverine's pissed about them. Goliath and Ms Marvel have a short conversation, G saying the government's gonna come after every super-human and Ms Marvel saying maybe they're right.

She-Hulk appears on Larry King that "training them up and making them carry badges souns like a reasonable response". There's a memorial service for the victims and after it a woman whose son was killed spits on Stark and starts yelling at him how, although he has nothing to do with NW, he's funding this sort of thing and showing a bad example, saying "the blood of my little Damien is on your hands right now".

Human Torch is going into a bar with a girl and a mob outside attacks him accusing him of being a "babykiller". One guy smashes him on the head with a bottle before he can defend himself and they're all going at him. Then we're cut to a news report that says these attacks have been happening around New York.

Cut to the Baxter Building, where there's a gathering of super-humans. Present are Reed, Sue, Thing, Dr Strange, Wolverine, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk, Cyclops, Falcon, Iron Man, Yellowjacket, Luke Cage, Wasp, Nighthawk, Patriot, Hulkling, Stature and whatshername (the Bishop girl from YA). Reed tells Strange that he's one of the few post-humans the government might make an exception on. Iron Man is quite clearly for the registration act, while Patriot talks about going on strike and Reed shoots him down. Falcon seems against the act, Yellowjacket for. Spider-Man turns up and says the act might drive a lot of supers to "hang up their tights", while Sue says being public's never been a problem for the FF.

Cap meets with Commander Hill on the SHIELD helicarrier, where Hill wants to know what the general concensus among the supers is and expects Cap to "handle" the ones who oppose. Hill wants the Avengers rooting for the registration act and Cap leading them. When Cap doesn't see things her way, Hill brings in a hit squad armed with tranquilizer guns and they try to take Cap down, but Cap manages to escape.

The Watcher is present at the Baxter Building, and Strange explains "he only appears to record moments of great change and enormous upheaval. His presence now does not bode well."

Outside the White House there are people protesting with banners like "Justice for Damien". The president is worried that with Cap "going underground", every superhero who disagrees suddenly has a figurehead. Present with Bush are Iron Man, Reed and Yellowjacket. Iron Man: "You push ahead with registration as planned, gentlemen. Leave Captain America to us."

To be continued...

Hope it's readable and comprehensible.

Justice for Damien....hmmm...I smell Mephisto's hand in all this. I'm sure the focus will be on the heroes fighting each other, but having him be the cause of the public dissent would be an easy excuse.

I guess this answers the question of who is going to deal with the non-registered supers. The registered supers 'natch. I was half expecting to see some hot SHIELD action, but maybe we'll get that too. A combined super/SHIELD attack ala Ultimate War? Maybe...

Sounds good, but the reaction of the public doesnt seem to fit, some dumbass reality show supers did it, not any of the big leaguers, and after all they've done to save the world some many times, it just doesnt seem like people would turn that easily

Random said:
Sounds good, but the reaction of the public doesnt seem to fit, some dumbass reality show supers did it, not any of the big leaguers, and after all they've done to save the world some many times, it just doesnt seem like people would turn that easily

Which makes me hope that someone is behind the reactions and all, like Mephisto, or maybe Kang using mind control.

Ultimate Houde said:
Which makes me hope that someone is behind the reactions and all, like Mephisto, or maybe Kang using mind control.
Oh, please God! Don't make it so! :x
I don't want another cheesy outcome like that to ruin the story. When Marvel for ones have a new, original story that goes on the depths of the human psychology I don't want it to be f***** up by having a villain that gets beaten in the last issue on 3 pages behind it.

Ultimate Warrior said:
Oh, please God! Don't make it so! :x
I don't want another cheesy outcome like that to ruin the story. When Marvel for ones have a new, original story that goes on the depths of the human psychology I don't want it to be f***** up by having a villain that gets beaten in the last issue on 3 pages behind it.

You'd rather this be all about an outrage over something that has happened a trillon times in the past?

Why wouldn't this Civil War come about at the end of Morrison's New-Xmen run?

Nevermind the other times a writer's ending has involved a multitude of deaths.

This public outcry/reaction and the heroes reactions better be the cause of something other than 800-900 deaths, that's all I'm saying.

I thought the Damien thing was very allegorical to Manion Butler's martyrhood. I'm sure most of you have no idea what I'm talking about, but for those that do. The answer is yes, I've read all those books.

Yea, I'm a Dune FIEND. I can't help myself. But yea you are right, that's what I was talking about.

Random said:
Yea it does, 900 hundred people dead and the media can change the mind of the public :wink:

I'm really liking cap so far in this series :D

Ultimate Houde said:
You'd rather this be all about an outrage over something that has happened a trillon times in the past?
People has wanted heroes to register a trillion times before??? ...and yes.

Ultimate Houde said:
Why wouldn't this Civil War come about at the end of Morrison's New-Xmen run?
Don't read X-Men. No idea what you are talking about.

Ultimate Houde said:
Nevermind the other times a writer's ending has involved a multitude of deaths.

This public outcry/reaction and the heroes reactions better be the cause of something other than 800-900 deaths, that's all I'm saying.
The thing why I don't want some villain behind it all (can show up and be involved, yes. Behind it ALL, no.) is this: TOO EASY! It will just make the comic-world look black and white again, not the grey scale that the real world is. And if it is a single villain behind it then the whole thing will be forgotten in less than a year anyway, despite what ever changes this story will make on the Marvel universe.

This was set-up, i give it a four out of five, five out of five on the bits with Cap.

slimjim said:
Yea it does, 900 hundred people dead and the media can change the mind of the public :wink:

I'm really liking cap so far in this series :D
But its like why beat the crap out of Human Torch, why spit on IronMan, they are the ones everyone likes. I'd understand Spider-man but with the FF and Big time Avengers it just doesnt seem called for. If they came out right away and said I knw its a tradegy but Superhero bill is wrong than yeah I'd understand. But they were there in the aftermath helping as many people as possible. Just that level of hate doesnt seem to fit right. Like after 911 I understand the blind motivation to beating up muslims, but not ones that are WELL known around the world for helping people. Its just the ones they targetted were not right and didnt make sense to me

Random said:
But its like why beat the crap out of Human Torch, why spit on IronMan, they are the ones everyone likes. I'd understand Spider-man but with the FF and Big time Avengers it just doesnt seem called for. If they came out right away and said I knw its a tradegy but Superhero bill is wrong than yeah I'd understand. But they were there in the aftermath helping as many people as possible. Just that level of hate doesnt seem to fit right. Like after 911 I understand the blind motivation to beating up muslims, but not ones that are WELL known around the world for helping people. Its just the ones they targetted were not right and didnt make sense to me

all it takes is for a bit of a push from the media and BAM....you got youself an entire country afraid. think back to ww2...japanese people who had been in the country for generations were persecuted because of pearl harbor and place into internment camps or mccarthyism and the fear of communisim among figures in hollywood who people loved before it was mentioned that they might be commies....the public's fear can be manipulated very easily

Cap. America just got a lot of points with me, he was badass. Shield has now a psycothic ***** running it. With all this chaos, i wonder what the villains will do.

Reread MARVELS.

You don't **** with Captain America!!!

This issue alone has made Captain America move up on my favorite characters list. This issue was freaking brilliant. Loved it all. Art was AWESOME. The best part of course is the scene with Captain America. That was pure greatness right there.

I cannot wait for more.

4.5/5

MCW_2pg9.jpg

Well that was ****in' awesome.

To answer the "why hasn't the public reacted like this before?", it's simple. Because writers didn't want them to until now. I can excuse the lateness of this story. It's just gonna be too great.

The funeral scene was great. Man, Millar sure knows how to write marvel heroes....

...except for one.... :( Wtf's that all about? :x

5/5 for a great start.

Latest posts

Back