DC Nation

LITG:

In June/July, DC are killing off Batman. Or rather, Bruce Wayne. Robin will inherit the Batman cowl. One of the Robins anyway. Tim Drake. Jason Todd. Or possibly Red Hood. Hey, maybe Jean-Paul Valley, it has been ten years since Azrael.

Either way, the book will relaunch with a nice shiny #1.

Yes, didn't Captain America miss a trick there? I'm sure Marvel will do the same come 2009.

And what of Batwoman? Well, I'm told the launch of the Rucka/Williams series has been pushed back yet again because of the movie, and fears of "unacceptable media coverage." I'm told four issues are fully completed.

Apparently it's okay for Batman to be dead, and a new character take his place when there's a movie out. But not for Batwoman to be a lesbian. At least wait till it's gone to DVD for that brunette bombshell.

I'm reminded of the Warner Bros executive instruction to Grant Morrison and Dave McKean over "Arkham Asylum," that the Joker not be seen dressing up as Madonna in case the cinema audience believed that meant Jack Nicholson was a transvestite.

I find this hard to believe.

Although if DC is killing off Bats, it better be a part of Final Crisis... Only something on that level could really kill him off, I think.

He'll be revived via Lazarus Pit within a year, I'm sure.

LITG:

In June/July, DC are killing off Batman. Or rather, Bruce Wayne. Robin will inherit the Batman cowl. One of the Robins anyway. Tim Drake. Jason Todd. Or possibly Red Hood. Hey, maybe Jean-Paul Valley, it has been ten years since Azrael.

Either way, the book will relaunch with a nice shiny #1.

Yes, didn't Captain America miss a trick there? I'm sure Marvel will do the same come 2009.

I find this hard to believe.

Although if DC is killing off Bats, it better be a part of Final Crisis... Only something on that level could really kill him off, I think.

DC kills Bats, I kill DC.

Their move.

He'll be revived via Lazarus Pit within a year, I'm sure.

Love that Lazarus.

LITG:

BAT PROMOTION

The last two LITG columns... this one and this one, have covered the death of Bruce Wayne, his ascendancy as a Fifth World New God, and his replacement here on Earth.

I can now tell you that the new Batman will be designed by Alex Ross and will see Jason Todd under the cowl.

Poor Dick Grayson. Don't you hate it when someone junior to you is promoted above your head?

This is all part of a cross-continuity, longform story by Grant Morrison and in terms of structure bears similarity to his "New X-Men," but on a far wider scale. It sounds rather good.

Yeap. It's been confirmed.

Why would they reveal a huge story like that?

And I like Jason better as a bad/good guy.

It's Morrison and Final Crisis. I'm trusting.

Last edited:
I think it's stupid. I like the idea of a Fifth World, but Batman becoming a New God? Hell no, that's insane.

Jason Todd becoming the new Batman which is being designed by Alex Ross... I was reading that and thought he must be joking. That is the exact same situation with Captain America. Hero dies, former sidekick returned from the dead takes his place, costume designed by Alex Ross.

And unlike some of you, I don't have complete faith in Grant Morrison. His current output has been mostly poor and slightly above average at best... I'm scared.

Good think I don't read Batman. SRSLY though, out of all the people they could put under the cowl, Jason Todd? No one, and I mean no one is more suited than Dick Grayson. And don't use that line of "He doesn't want to be in his mentor's shadow." because that's what Bats has been training him to do.

I'm not worried about Batman's future.

If Grant Morrison has a storyline involving Bruce's death and revival as a Fifth World God, and with Jason Todd taking over the mantle (and if it's actually Grant's idea, instead of editorial mandate), then I'm totally down with that. I trust Morrison with Batman in the same way that I trust Ed Brubaker with Captain America. They both know the characters well enough, and if DC insures that Morrison is the captain of the storyline from the start, things should be fine.

I've had an idea for a while about a story called "The Three Sons of Batman" where it becomes revealed that Batman picked three different Robins that he knew would grow into three incredibly different men, effectively creating "contingency plans" to cover what would happen in case of his absence or death. Plans A, B, and C depending on what circumstances Gotham City is in when he disappears.

Newsarama said:
Robinson then announced that he's working on a new Justice League book called - wait for it - Justice League. "Hal Jordan decides that he wants a pro-active team," said Robinson. "They never go out and bring in people. This team will go after the equivalent of the FBI's most wanted list, sometimes in different countries, sometimes through time. It's a nice eclectic team of established teams and some oddball characters I've thrown in." Along with Hal Jordan, Robinson named Green Arrow as a member. When writing the two characters, Robinson said "I just imagine me and Geoff Johns talking to each other."

Robinson expanded on the lineup, naming Ray Palmer. "He's not The Atom, but he still has the costume, and he still shrinks," Robinson says. "That's not to say at some point he won't be The Atom but again, but for now, he's Ray Palmer."

Also on the team? Supergirl, Batwoman (DiDio: "Whoops, we weren't supposed to say that one. Just kidding!"), Freddy Freeman in "whatever name he's going to have" (which DiDio said was Shazam), and Starman. No, not the Jack Knight Starman that Robinson made famous in the '90s, but the blue, alien Mikaal Tomas Starman.

Robinson said the final member is an "old, 90-year-old man named Bill." "People are going to love this character by the time I'm done with him," Robinson said. The writer was about to name the artist, but no, DiDio cut him off and said they were going to hold off on that announcement.

"The difference is, the Justice League of America is all about the league, it's a family," said Robinson. "While this is about justice. It's all about bringing in the bad guys."

This is awesome. James Robinson writing another Justice League comic with an interesting line up. Plus, he can team up with Geoff Johns, because Johns is writing JSA, Green Lantern and Action Comics, while Robinson is writing JL (with Jordan as part of the team) and Superman. This should make for some interesting crossovers.

I am excited! :D

This is awesome. James Robinson writing another Justice League comic with an interesting line up. Plus, he can team up with Geoff Johns, because Johns is writing JSA, Green Lantern and Action Comics, while Robinson is writing JL (with Jordan as part of the team) and Superman. This should make for some interesting crossovers.

I am excited! :D

That lineup is pretty awesome.

They should just cancel Justice League of America and replace it with this.

LitG:

Batplans

Look for a new Batgirl mini-series and a fifth week event starring The Joker, just in time for a certain movie.

LitG:

ITEM! Potential ---------- news, whited out not to spoil it for those who don't want to know.

Mouse over the previous if you want to see the text.

If you want to know, scroll down.

WARNING- MAJOR SPOILER AHEAD!!!!

Barry Allen will return, leading the Black Lantern Corps.

The End.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back