DC Universe Online

See, I'd like to see instanced zones for combat, with the ability, based on your allegiances to the different metahuman "families" to swap in pre-created DC superheroes for the fight. So it's not like there's a 1,000,000 Supermen running around. There's one Superman, but you can bring him in to some instanced battles.

yeah but they want you to build up and care about your hero. Say you were playing as Superman in a designated section on a server but on that server superman is stopping a villain in the city it creates unnecessary problems of 2 at least.

I like the fact they want you to care for your hero or in my case villain :twisted: and have the main heroes/villains be special instances. An exple I'll use is Star wars galaxies. You created your charracter and when you saw darth vader or Han solo or whoever it was a special thing as I was like "cool I just met vader and he force choked me" It was cool. Now had I of played as vader before the special factor would be gone.

But it's all cool that's just my way of thinking

yeah but they want you to build up and care about your hero. Say you were playing as Superman in a designated section on a server but on that server superman is stopping a villain in the city it creates unnecessary problems of 2 at least.

I like the fact they want you to care for your hero or in my case villain :twisted: and have the main heroes/villains be special instances. An exple I'll use is Star wars galaxies. You created your charracter and when you saw darth vader or Han solo or whoever it was a special thing as I was like "cool I just met vader and he force choked me" It was cool. Now had I of played as vader before the special factor would be gone.

But it's all cool that's just my way of thinking

I actually agree with you. Besides, it'd basically be impossible to balance character usage if people were allowed to play as Batman, Superman, etc.

That's lame. You should at least be able to do team-ups with the DC stable of characters, where you can sometimes swap your character for Batman or Superman or Flash or whoever.

Occasional teamups would be fine I think... but having the DC Icon as an NPC assisting you. Much like in WoW, where there are a few moments where you can work with classic characters from Warcrafts' history.

Occasional teamups would be fine I think... but having the DC Icon as an NPC assisting you. Much like in WoW, where there are a few moments where you can work with classic characters from Warcrafts' history.

They are doing that I think. It sounds like it.

Hm. I think we have two different views of how we want the game to play out. I'd relegate combat to instanced spaces, with only the team or character who initiated the mission being allowed in. Base it around a hub zone where you can interact with other players and interact with (but not play as) the DC heroes. So it doesn't matter if Superman's popping up in different missions simultaneously, because they take place on different maps.

ssjmole said:

See, I disagree. It's about a growing sense of wonderment. Instead of being "I met Darth Vader once. Neat." you have a progression. Early on in the game, you might end up fighting alongside Superman in a battle for Metropolis and it's like, "Cool. I met Superman". And as you progress down that route, you can - in specific situations - recruit Steel for a mission. Then Supergirl. Then finally Superman. It's not that you're controlling him all the time. It's specified situations where you get the opportunity to kick *** with the DC big names. You don't replace your character with the DC characters. Instead you have them as pitch hitters, as a reward for players who've progressed further into the game.

DIrishB said:
I actually agree with you. Besides, it'd basically be impossible to balance character usage if people were allowed to play as Batman, Superman, etc.

Unless you put a system in place to balance character usage.

See, I disagree. It's about a growing sense of wonderment. Instead of being "I met Darth Vader once. Neat." you have a progression. Early on in the game, you might end up fighting alongside Superman in a battle for Metropolis and it's like, "Cool. I met Superman". And as you progress down that route, you can - in specific situations - recruit Steel for a mission. Then Supergirl. Then finally Superman. It's not that you're controlling him all the time. It's specified situations where you get the opportunity to kick *** with the DC big names. You don't replace your character with the DC characters. Instead you have them as pitch hitters, as a reward for players who've progressed further into the game.

I get what your saying but again I disagree. I think say I'm a Villain and I have to fight superman once it makes it more epic to do so as It's like "wow I'm really taking on superman here" What you described basically sounds like Marvel ultimate alliance with create a charracter. While neat takes away from the MMO idea.

As for "you have them as pitch hitters, as a reward for players who've progressed further into the game." That seems a little like it would be punishing people who have jobs or other commitments and can't play 24/7 or worse punishing new players which will limit the amount who join.

Now what you described would work great as say a open world rpg like oblivion or as I mentioned a Marvel ultimate alliance with create a charracter but as an MMO it's not.

MMOs if you want a group for missions it should be other players except like Hellsbuttmonkey said rare missions where batman needs you to help him take on say joker and his army.

So does this mean that we UC members can make our own league of Heroes(or villains)?

sweet.

so psyched...i bought EDGE today as well had a massive article about it.

I really wanna play it but all i've got is a 360 and a laptop that probably isn't fast enough. i will have to have think about this.

Question, if we're going to make a group, or groups, what city are we going to use as base of operations? I know it's a bit odd, but it'd effect what kind of character I make.

Question, if we're going to make a group, or groups, what city are we going to use as base of operations? I know it's a bit odd, but it'd effect what kind of character I make.

I vote for Gotham or Central city.

Latest posts

Back