Dragonball Evolution

new stills from the High School part of Dragonball: Evolution.

Is the guy on the right punching Goku's invisible tail?

What's he aiming at? His back? WTF?
You know what he's trying to do...

141_4_0000007.jpg

This movie looks too American-ized. That's the problem I have with people making a movie based on Akira and setting it in New York. I hope Goku starts off living by himself in the mountains. And why do the book titles go "Discovery" and then "Search"? What are they teaching these kids? You can't "discover" before you search!

Piccolo looks pretty badass.

I think Bulma was given some different wigs, like a blue one and a pink one. I would rather her just dye all her hair instead of just a little streak like in the pictures we've seen.

Ron Perlman was offered the role of Piccolo. He would have kicked major *** as Piccolo.

I think it would have been better if they hadn't tried to imitate Goku's manga/anime hairstyle so much. They make it look like he gelled it up. They should have just made his hair naturally crazy/unkempt, not try to make it look exactly like cartoon Goku's hair. We would get the idea. Instead, the character looks like he just walked out of a D-movie.

They left out dudes like Oolong and Puar, because apparently they're trying to focus on "a verisimilitude and realism as much as possible, but also portray alien and futuristic influences where necessary." Oolong was the ****, man! He was a perverted little ****. And he's necessary to the story of the Journey to the West....

I don't like how they're putting all kinds of original characters in the movie....when there's so many rich and colorful characters from Dragonball mythology. They should have included the Red Ribbon Army in this, if they didn't. The RR Army is a major part of the mythology and would be easy to fit in the story ("army tries to get Dragon Balls before Goku and Bulma"....that's the role). Urgh....this is so Hollywood-ized....Don't show Goku at school in the city, show him living in the mountains and then traveling the world with Bulma. Don't show him wearing anything besides his gi!

I hope Master Roshi looks similar to his manga/anime counterpart. And I better see a damned turtle when he comes around!

I know I'm being really nitpicky about certain things, but it's only because I used to be a Dragonball fan as well.

And why do the book titles go "Discovery" and then "Search"? What are they teaching these kids? You can't "discover" before you search!
Yes you can.

You discover something about yourself, perhaps something missing...

...which makes you go on a search.

http://dbthemovie.com/ has up the press info on film and characters. Pretty interesting to read.

Here is a preview :
Goku's quest – with nothing less than the fate of our world at stake – begins innocently enough in the backyard of his grandfather's home, where Gohan is training the young man in some exotic martial arts moves. It is Goku's 18th birthday, and Gohan's gift to his grandson is a Dragonball, a small, round ball whose surface is smooth and pearl-like, but with a milky translucence that gives it depth. Four stars float inside the ball. There are only six others like it in the world, and it is said the seven Dragonballs together will grant the holder one perfect wish.

Connected to the legend of the Dragonballs is Goku's own mysterious past – he never knew his parents – as well as the coming solar eclipse, which superstitions mark as a sign of a coming apocalypse. Gohan promises to reveal all to Goku at the special birthday dinner Gohan is preparing for his grandson.

But Goku skips out on Gohan's feast, to attend a party hosted by Chi Chi, a fellow student to whom Goku is drawn. As the two teens get to know one another, a tragedy at home is triggered by the arrival of a dark force – propelling Goku, Roshi, Bulma, Yamcha and Chi Chi into a race to collect all seven Dragonballs. The stakes couldn't be higher. Goku will face the deadliest enemies on Earth, master a powerful force called Ki, which marshals the energy of the universe – and learn the truth of his incredible past…and of a potentially unthinkable future.

Turning a beloved global property into a motion picture event is no easy task, and it took years after Twentieth Century Fox acquired the rights to the graphic novel series Dragonball to make that happen. A big-screen adaptation finally began to come together when filmmaker James Wong, who has worked extensively in the science fiction/fantasy genre, took an interest in the property. Wong recalls: "I read the mangas, which really sparked my interest in the property. The graphic novels take us to a fantastic world with great characters – and they're a lot of fun."

New footage from Japan. Looks pretty cool

[youtube]Lwmp1M5TitU[/youtube]

New teaser

[youtube]ly843iFcKjI[/youtube]

May or may-not mean anything but Here is a picture of goku's Oozaru form from the game of this movie :

Judging by that picture plus the previously posted picture of Oozaru Goku I think they are the same person but like I had commented on they would mostly use cgi to add hair and it could look cool.

If it looks like that in the film then I was right. That does look cool and hair has been added later. But again its from game so it might not be anything e.g Spider-man 2 had Shocker but he was not in the film.

Akira Toriyama left a comment on Dragonball: Evolution before the newest Japanese trailer for the film. ANN translates:

Akira Toriyama said:
As the original creator, I had a feeling of "Huh?" upon seeing the screenplay and the character designs, but the director, all the actors, the staff, and the rest are nothing but "ultra" high-caliber people. Maybe the right way for me and all the fans to appreciate it is as a New Dragonball of a different dimension. Perhaps, this might become a great masterpiece of power! Hey, I look forward to it!!

Last edited:
Sci-FiNow talked with Justin Chatwin (Goku) who spilled to them that the sequel to Dragonball Evolution has already been written.

Dragonball: Evolution, the first live-action adaptation of the popular manga, hasn't even hit our screens yet, but the script for a proposed sequel has already been written, according to Justin Chatwin, who plays Goku in the upcoming film.

Speaking to SciFiNow last month, the 26-year-old actor said that he was signed on for potential sequels, and that he was excited about the prospect: "If there were to be a sequel I think it… well, I know that it would go to a really interesting place, because they already have the second script written." When pressed for details, Chatwin revealed a little more about the direction of the celluloid version of the franchise. "It's really, really cool. The second one goes more into the whole legacy and the genealogy of Dragonball. It goes more in-depth into a real Dragonball series, the kind of intergalactic world of Dragonball."

:shock: Nice! They have already planned for sequels

Akira Toriyama left a comment on Dragonball: Evolution before the newest Japanese trailer for the film. ANN translates:

As the original creator, I had a feeling of "Huh?" upon seeing the screenplay and the character designs, but the director, all the actors, the staff, and the rest are nothing but "ultra" high-caliber people. Maybe the right way for me and all the fans to appreciate it is as a New Dragonball of a different dimension. Perhaps, this might become a great masterpiece of power! Hey, I look forward to it!!

That's Japanese for "They've completely ruined this property but hey, at least it will make money."

[youtube]ly843iFcKjI[/youtube]

The special effects look great.

At like 19 seconds into that there's a spaceship that looks like Slave I.

Last edited:
Mole....by all means--ignore my hate and go see this movie with nothing but zeal.

Myself?

I would rather watch that Street Fighter film starring TV's Lana Lang.

May or may-not mean anything but Here is a picture of goku's Oozaru form from the game of this movie :

Judging by that picture plus the previously posted picture of Oozaru Goku I think they are the same person but like I had commented on they would mostly use cgi to add hair and it could look cool.

If it looks like that in the film then I was right. That does look cool and hair has been added later. But again its from game so it might not be anything e.g Spider-man 2 had Shocker but he was not in the film.
That isn't Goku's Oozaru from the movie. Get ready to cry!

http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/oozaru-goku-revealed-from

Latest posts

Back