I still haven't read the Superman one and I don't know if I ever will but I was still interested in the Batman one... is it still coming out? Did DC abandon this line just like the All Star line?

I still haven't read the Superman one and I don't know if I ever will but I was still interested in the Batman one... is it still coming out? Did DC abandon this line just like the All Star line?

Didn't JMS quit working on everything he was working on or was planning on working on because he was going to write more Earth One Superman stories? Or did I misunderstand that?

Didn't JMS quit working on everything he was working on or was planning on working on because he was going to write more Earth One Superman stories? Or did I misunderstand that?

Because of my new-found obsession with JMS' Babylon 5 series, I've been checking his website often for news. Recently he did say he was working on Volume 2 of Earth One Superman, if I recall correctly.

As for the Batman one, I have no idea. Haven't heard anything on it in months.

EDIT: From this link (from back in January), it was announced Shane Davis would return as artist.

They've been working on it for awhile...Back in November, 2010, JMS posted on his Facebook page that he'd already gotten artwork from Davis for Vol. 2. I'd assume we'll see a similar release date to the last one...probably sometime in October or November this year.

Still waiting on the Batman one, though. :(

Last edited:
Grant Morrison has an idea for a Flash story similar to Groundhog Day that might become an Earth One OGN.

:( Anything Geoff Johns or JMS can do, I can do better...

Grant Morrison has an idea for a Flash story similar to Groundhog Day that might become an Earth One OGN.

Sold. :D Is it weird that I have a pitch for the same premise?

Mine was a TV series pitch, tho.

:D And it wasn't originally the Flash.

And I didn't tailor it as such until I just read Proj's post.

Gawd, I'm such a liar.

Last edited:
I can't believe how optimistic I was about this. I've never even read Superman: Earth One and I don't think Batman: Earth One is ever coming out.

DC suck at delivering on their promises.

ProjectX2 said:
DC suck at delivering on their promises.

I'm still bummed out that the All-Star line never became anything.

I just finished the Batman book.

It wasn't horrible...but it just felt like they changed things for the sake of changing them.

Bruce Wayne doesn't read like Bruce Wayne. He's almost the same kind of angsty that Clark Kent is in the Superman book.

As for Alfred...I didn't look at any of the previews you guys referenced earlier in this thread so I had no idea he was going to be like he is here. You guys liked the "bad ass" version of him but I just don't. I much prefer the loyal butler Alfred. I can't give any arguments about why it didn't work or why they should've changed it; I just didn't like it.

Jim Gordon: I didn't like him being on the take at all. That was bad. Even though it was for the "right" reasons - I've never seen Jim Gordon so weak like that. I've always seen him as a sort of extension of Batman and having the same "never compromise" attitude. Granted there might be instances all over the place where he is like that and I've never seen them, but that's what the character is.

I think part of it was that I just re-read the excellent Year One a few days ago and really consider that the definitive origin story, and maybe one of the best origin stories ever written in comics. This, again, felt like they just changed things just to change them.

So, yeah. Not horrible but I won't be buying it and doubt I'll ever read it again.

I just read it and I agree with you. The whole thing feels so unnecessary and none of the random changes really made it feel new or worthwhile. I did really like the art though - I didn't notice any lipless people like in other Gary Frank stuff.

Year One/Batman Begins is still the Ultimate Batman to me.

Last edited:
I just finished the second Superman book and it was OK. Better than the first, but still...I can't figure out what it is about these books that I don't like. I think it's just that...and I'm not sure I'm explaining this like I really want to...they are just super long monthly comics. I would expect important, huge, major, world-changing things to happen in these books. But they aren't anything special. It's just a monthly that's 5x longer than it needs to be.

I think the problem is that now I want every Superman book to build off of All Star Superman and I've not read a Superman story that comes anywhere near that as far as getting the character right. Earth One is just emo Superman. He's not likable and he's not really someone that you'd look up to. He does heroic things and he's a good guy, but it's like it's a struggle or something for things to happen. In All Star Superman, literally every thing he did as Superman and Clark Kent both was an amazing good deed. I don't like Clark Kent struggling to fit in by getting bad grades or come up with rent or anything like that. Superman is supposed to be beyond that kind of stuff.

Have there been any other Superman or Batman stories that have been widely accused of being "Marvelized"? That's not the first time I've seen that assertion.

E said:
Have there been any other Superman or Batman stories that have been widely accused of being "Marvelized"? That's not the first time I've seen that assertion.

Smallville basically turned Clark Kent into Peter Parker.

Gary Frank has confirmed Batman: Earth One Vol. 2, for anyone who cares.

Latest posts

Back