Fantastic Four #554-569 (Millar/Hitch) discussion (Spoilers!)

Re: Fantastic Four #554-570 (Millar/Hitch) discussion (Spoilers!)

It should've been called "THE GALACTUS ENGINE" because that is generally scary and exciting and Millar said that the image of Galactus lying down with Human Torch and Doom strapped to his chest and being used as a giant battery was what came to him first and he built the story around that.

I think you won't be able to compare the runs until they are both done, as I would assume this is not the last we will see of nu-world or the future billions in this run. I think that's what the whole run is about.

If Reed can inject Sue with a compound so he can track the future Sue (this is smart), why doesn't Future Sue remember being injected? Why doesn't she know Doom will kill her and this is how it will end? Why do Millar's rules of time travel in this issue kinda work when he wants them to? It's just not been thought out properly.
I disagree that it's been thought out properly. The problem with that is that this is the situation with the whole time traveling "rules" explanation, and that's always a cluster-**** in of itself. At least to me. I hate time travel explanation.

In future Sue's time, obviously there was no reason to know of such injection because there was no reason for Reed to inject Sue with it before. That only happened when future Sue came back present F4's time. And then, how is she really supposed to know/predict what could happen?

It should've been called "THE GALACTUS ENGINE" because that is generally scary and exciting and Millar said that the image of Galactus lying down with Human Torch and Doom strapped to his chest and being used as a giant battery was what came to him first and he built the story around that.

The Galactus Engine is an awesome name for anything.

In future Sue's time, obviously there was no reason to know of such injection because there was no reason for Reed to inject Sue with it before. That only happened when future Sue came back present F4's time. And then, how is she really supposed to know/predict what could happen?

Okay. When Millar says the rule: "Future Sue (FS) and Present Sue (PS) are linked. Anything that happens to PS will already have happened to FS." In that sense, if Reed cut off PS' legs, FS would suddenly lose her legs. Right? Okay, so if FS travels back in time and interacts with PS, FS will immediately remember what's happening to PS because PS just gained new memories. FS will end up altering her OWN memories because she is affecting PS. This is how the rule works. PS is affected, FS becomes affected too. PS is affected by FS and generates new memories. Memories that FS would immediately possess in their entirity. See what I mean?

So, maybe FS doesn't remember everything PS remembers until they meet, but as soon as she meets PS, she'd remember exactly what would happen next. She'd remember the whole thing. It would be this bizarre deja vu kicking in.

This is what I mean by 'not properly thought through'. His ideas are not fully thought through and realised. Else, FS would be acting stranger and stranger as the show went on. She'd go up to Doom and just before putting out her hands go, "No. Wait. Don't - I shouldn't... AIEEEE!"

Okay. When Millar says the rule: "Future Sue (FS) and Present Sue (PS) are linked. Anything that happens to PS will already have happened to FS." In that sense, if Reed cut off PS' legs, FS would suddenly lose her legs. Right? Okay, so if FS travels back in time and interacts with PS, FS will immediately remember what's happening to PS because PS just gained new memories. FS will end up altering her OWN memories because she is affecting PS. This is how the rule works. PS is affected, FS becomes affected too. PS is affected by FS and generates new memories. Memories that FS would immediately possess in their entirity. See what I mean?

So, maybe FS doesn't remember everything PS remembers until they meet, but as soon as she meets PS, she'd remember exactly what would happen next. She'd remember the whole thing. It would be this bizarre deja vu kicking in.

This is what I mean by 'not properly thought through'. His ideas are not fully thought through and realised. Else, FS would be acting stranger and stranger as the show went on. She'd go up to Doom and just before putting out her hands go, "No. Wait. Don't - I shouldn't... AIEEEE!"
This is why I don't agree. I don't believe that as soon as FS arrives in the past she would remember everything or anything in terms of new memories because that would only happen as she goes along since she's literally creating them herself. Just because she's from the future doesn't mean she'll remember what would happen next necessarily. But, as I've said, this is the whole thing I hate about time travel explanation/rules. It's just a damn mess to understand properly. Always gives me a headache.

I will agree that it was stupid for FS to go up to Doom, regardless if that was something she would have remembered or not. She should have known better not to do that. If she really wanted to apologize to Doom, she should've said it from a distance. I mean, come on. It's freaking Doom! I do like that Doom killed her to 'restore' his honor, though. I'm sure it could've been written that he killed FS from where he was standing.

But now that reminds me: as to the point earlier about Doom being whooped off-screen, I don't have much problem with that. I mean, I would have liked to see how these guys were able to get the drop on Doom, but it doesn't bother me really that it happened and we didn't see it.

Got the premiere hardcover of the first 8 issues - looks great. I realize it has it's share of problems and the whole story is full of Millar-isms, but I'm really enjoying it.

I really think Millar needs to understand the concept of substance.

Just because your new villains beat up Doom and Galactus (off-panel) doesn't make them bad ***. And just because your super new villain taught Dr Doom "everything he knows", doesn't make him bad ***.

This entire run is so shallow. :(

This entire run is so shallow. :(

It's fun though. If I wanted something deep and profound I'd re-read Watchmen or V for Vendetta.

It's not a "bad" shallow.

What am I missing here re: Galactus dying? Wasn't it established a while ago that he was some kind of essential element of the universe and if he died, the universe would die? Or was that retconned?

Not that I like that particular story.

What am I missing here re: Galactus dying? Wasn't it established a while ago that he was some kind of essential element of the universe and if he died, the universe would die? Or was that retconned?

Not that I like that particular story.

I think that was just in EARTH X.

I think that was just in EARTH X.

It wasn't. I'm almost sure of it. I think it was established in a Galactus mini in the early 90s.

It wasn't. I'm almost sure of it. I think it was established in a Galactus mini in the early 90s.

Probably why it's been retconned and/or why Millar ignored it.

Probably why it's been retconned and/or why Millar ignored it.

I wouldn't have any problem with retconning it, but that's why I asked. If you have to retcon something because it's retarded that's one thing, but to just ignore it isn't a good idea.

Maybe the universe doesn't end immediately when he dies; I don't know what the chain of events is supposed to be when he dies. Maybe it is setting up the emergence of some huge cosmic villain and massive battle against it.

Perhaps the "death" of Galactus is what brings the Masters of Doom back?

If Galactus dies, Abraxas is released and he destroy's the omniverse, this would not happen with an alternate galactus, because 616 galactus is the Galactus Prime (Roll-out!)

this was in 616 continuity

also Big G and the SS are going to be in Skaar pretty soon, so I dunno if he's actually dead, probably just the galactus from the future heroes universe

And just because your super new villain taught Dr Doom "everything he knows", doesn't make him bad ***.

It also really neuters Doom

It does.

And yes, E, Galactus dying - supposedly - would destroy the universe in someway. Which is why in Earth X, Franklin became Galactus.

I miss Earth X. It was so well done.

I just felt like re-tooling the Doom/Richards prison scene. This is off the top of my head, and while it's not Shakespeare, I really kinda like it. :D

fantasticfour562013cy1.jpg

fantasticfour562014015hj7.jpg

fantasticfour562016kw6.jpg

fantasticfour562017io1.jpg

fantasticfour562018pz1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is future galactus not current galactus that dies

Latest posts

Back